Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:27 AM

115 posts, read 385,651 times

Advertisements

Projects In watts are they really dangerous? Would it be dangerous if a tourist ended up getting lost there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Are you planning on taking a tour of the Los Angeles area housing projects?

Why do you ask?

Old 05-19-2008, 12:26 PM

57 posts, read 536,487 times
I would stay away if you could...

Just google Nickerson Gardens or Imperial Courts to find recent news. You could also check out the LAPD web site for crime news.

Here's one article that I found (haven't read every word but the general gist I got from a quick scan is that things are still pretty bad):

LA Weekly - News - L.A. Gangs: Nine Miles and Spreading - Peter Landesman - The Essential Online Resource for Los Angeles

I was a journalist when I lived in LA and was assigned to write a brief piece about housing projects including Nickerson Gardens a few years ago (I am not the author of this LA Weekly article). My editor did not allow me to go to the area as it wasn't necessary for the type of piece we were doing and our photographer went but took photos from inside his car because he was afraid to get out.

I have inadvertently driven through some bad areas and lived to tell the tale, but I wouldn't just drive through to satisfy my curiosity. It's pretty easy for the average tourist to avoid areas like Watts and Compton -- they don't exactly contain the top LA attractions!

Old 05-19-2008, 02:33 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
there is now way a tourist would just "end up" in the projects. unless they took a detour from visitin the watts towers. but most people dont get around these parts that much.

as for danger, yes it is dangerous. more so than other places. just recently there was a gang beef that killed about 4 or 5 young men associated with grape street and other gangs in this part of town. its a bit settled now, but you never know when somehting is guna pop off.

i got friends in imperial courts and cousins that live blocks from nickerson and the downs... if you dont have to be there, dont. but if you just happen to "end up" getting lost, make sure its during the day.

you can easily get in and out. they aint that hard to navigate, it becomes a problem when people are double parked and blockin the street. but really you dont need to be there.

if you want to see public housing, i would suggest the tamer projects like VNE where all those murals are at. or ramona gardens. you are more likely to get shot by the police than a thug in ramona anyways.

enter at your own risk

Old 05-19-2008, 06:01 PM

I read that article its interesting....Do you guys have any pictures of the housing projects?

Old 05-19-2008, 06:42 PM

57 posts, read 536,487 times
Default Photos

Not any that I took myself

I am dying to know what's fueling your curiosity!!

Here is one link with photos (can't vouch for anything that's being said, but the photos seem legit):

LAist: The Neighborhood Project: Watts

I'm pretty sure I've seen more shots on a Web site for the LA Housing Authority or other place, but I can't seem to find them right now.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 AM

Its that i've seen movies like Training Day and others where they feature these projects and i wanted to know if they are really like that

Old 05-21-2008, 09:33 AM

39 posts, read 459,148 times
I started a thread a couple of years ago called Watts Up! as I would like to one day start a sports related gang intervention programme. Whether this is possible is another story!

I also did lots of research about Watts and their projects for a University assignment so I will try to find you some links and information.

I have never been there in person as I live in England so I certainly haven't got any authority to say how safe it would be to go there. From the kind responses I received I would say that it would be very foolish to just wander around there for no reason, particularly at night. I also got the impression that although there is a high crime rate in the area, there are also some very nice, hard working and inspirational people in Watts.

To see what they look like you should go to Google home page, click on maps, go to La, then Watts, click on aerial view and you will see where the projects are. Jordan Downs is north of Nickerson Gardens and Imperial courts, which are near the Imperial Highway Then click on street view and take a tour.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:35 AM

http://www.urbandecay.ca/Files/Content/Los%20Angeles/Los%20Angeles/Public%20Housing/imperialcourts3.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-21-2008, 09:36 AM

Imperial Courts above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles