Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:10 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times

Advertisements

We have signs here that say "no right turn on red between 6am and 6pm"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 12:09 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,981,943 times
Left turns on red are also legal in California from one one-way street to another one-way street.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,715 times
Today, I stopped at a right turn red light and waited for some oncoming traffic to pass and then i went and was pulled over by a cop for not yielding to oncoming traffic even though i had plenty of time to move. I was cited with 21452(b) of the code. I had a witness in my car as well. Is there a way to contest this and win the case?

Old 11-11-2010, 08:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
it is legal if you first come to a complete stop.
Yes it is legal.
Complete stop as others have posted or you will get a ticket for a rolling stop by a camera if there is one present.
Also as others have said, make sure there is no sign saying you can't turn right on a red. There have been many more of those going up since California has been looking to make additional income.

I think the ticket would cost you about $400 with traffic school.
Seat belt violations are almost $300 now.
Reason is California added all these new fees for income.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:04 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,425 times
[quote=kshanks;16610032]Today, I stopped at a right turn red light and waited for some oncoming traffic to pass and then i went and was pulled over by a cop for not yielding to oncoming traffic even though i had plenty of time to move. I was cited with 21452(b) of the code. I had a witness in my car as well. Is there a way to contest this and win the case?[/quote There Sure is, Just read some of the post by Fighter 1 about speeding and red light tickets. Its all about c.p.c.853.9 ( California Penal Codes) and Demanding a "Verified Complaint".

Old 11-11-2010, 09:10 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
[quote=Fighter 1;16621286]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshanks View Post
Today, I stopped at a right turn red light and waited for some oncoming traffic to pass and then i went and was pulled over by a cop for not yielding to oncoming traffic even though i had plenty of time to move. I was cited with 21452(b) of the code. I had a witness in my car as well. Is there a way to contest this and win the case?[/quote There Sure is, Just read some of the post by Fighter 1 about speeding and red light tickets. Its all about c.p.c.853.9 ( California Penal Codes) and Demanding a "Verified Complaint".
Yes there is a way to win.
You write a protest to the ticket with a signed affidavit by your witness regarding the facts of the case.
If you lose you can still pay the fine and go to traffic school to remove it.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:14 AM

135 posts, read 285,194 times
Another strong encouragement here to come to a full stop. Once I was stopped for rolling through a right-turn stop sign while talking on my cell phone.

Officer pulled me over, and was nice about it, and said, "I'm going to cite you for the cell phone, but I'll overlook the rolling because if I give you that ticket, it's going to be a lot of money." Nice guy. I paid my cell phone violation.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:53 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
In the article it mentioned that the woman had not stopped but rolled thru the light.

"In Los Angeles, officials estimate that 80% of red light camera tickets go not to those running through intersections but to drivers making rolling right turns, a Times review has found. As London realized that day in court, her turn was illegal because she did not completely stop before turning."

Old 01-15-2012, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 5,702 times
Default red light turn

i understand that if you stop on a red light turning right, if it is safe you can turn. but do you have to turn? i have been in situations where there is a person behind you honking for you to hurry up and turn. do i have to turn on a red light?

Old 01-15-2012, 11:13 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelly8656 View Post
i understand that if you stop on a red light turning right, if it is safe you can turn. but do you have to turn? i have been in situations where there is a person behind you honking for you to hurry up and turn. do i have to turn on a red light?
You don't HAVE to, but why would you just sit through the light if it was safe to make your turn? BTW, I've been honked at from behind for refusing to run run over pedestrians so it doesn't take much for some ahole to honk at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles