U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:47 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,829,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You don't HAVE to, but why would you just sit through the light if it was safe to make your turn? BTW, I've been honked at from behind for refusing to run run over pedestrians so it doesn't take much for some ahole to honk at you.
Unless, of course, you're in a right turn-only lane. Why NOT make a turn unless you feel it's not safe, of course. The person honking may think it's another out-of-towner who doesn't know they can turn.

I'm sure everyone remembers the quote from the film "Annie Hall" about Los Angeles: "I don't want to move to a city where the only cultural advantage is being able to make a right turn on a red light." Most places I've been to, including foreign countries (e.g., Brazil, where I am now), prohibit this, so Californians need to remember their laws are somewhat unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 02:39 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,880,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
Most places I've been to, including foreign countries (e.g., Brazil, where I am now), prohibit this, so Californians need to remember their laws are somewhat unique.
Foreign countries yes, but most places in the US? You're wrong about that. NYC is one of the few places where you can't make a right on red in the US. There may be a few more, but I've traveled a lot and I can't think of any. Some places may have a universal right on red unless posted and then post no right on red at most major intersections, but that's about as bad as it gets.

Now left on red (from a one way street to another one way street) may be California only thing. Also, quite a few places (NJ and Oklahoma for example) don't allow u-turns unless specifically posted.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:53 PM

422 posts, read 1,651,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshanks View Post
Today, I stopped at a right turn red light and waited for some oncoming traffic to pass and then i went and was pulled over by a cop for not yielding to oncoming traffic even though i had plenty of time to move. I was cited with 21452(b) of the code. I had a witness in my car as well. Is there a way to contest this and win the case?
Question: Was there ANY traffic coming from your left, perhaps in the left-hand lane? I see a lot of people making right turns onto four-lane streets when the right lane is empty but the center lane is busy. I thought it was illegal to take the right of way when other traffic is in or approaching the intersection, regardless of which lane everyone is in. At the least, it can be very dangerous.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:32 AM

5,801 posts, read 5,635,482 times
Unless there's a sign stating otherwise, turning right on a red light is fine.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:24 PM

491 posts, read 2,090,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelly8656 View Post
i understand that if you stop on a red light turning right, if it is safe you can turn. but do you have to turn? i have been in situations where there is a person behind you honking for you to hurry up and turn. do i have to turn on a red light?
If you are in a right-turn-only lane, please do turn right when you are able. Unless you like being honked at and flipped off.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:36 PM

491 posts, read 2,090,448 times
Most camera tickets at right turns are for rolling through the stop without coming to a complete stop. As I understand it, the risk of car-car accidents at right turns is relatively low, but the rollers are more of a risk to pedestrians.

Remember that any car coming through the intersection, including people making legal U-turns, have the right of way and oncoming cars not in the same lane - as these may change lanes.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,440 times
Why do you have to stop at a red light if the opposing traffic is making left turns and everyone else is turning right?

Old 07-01-2014, 06:49 AM

6,294 posts, read 15,771,894 times
You have to stop at a red light, because it's red. Red means "stop". I get what you're saying, though, runninggirltoo. There's an intersection at Victory and Canoga in Woodland Hills/Canoga Park. Even though the traffic turning left from Victory onto Canoga has a green arrow, there is no corresponding green arrow for drivers to make a right from Canoga onto Victory. You still have to stop, even though there is no opposing traffic or pedestrians. Some signals have it, and some don't. Sepulveda and Victory in Van Nuys does have that green arrow to turn right (from Victory onto Sepulveda), so it's rather random.

I find it entertaining that the "rolling stop" is so common here that it became known as a "California stop"! It's amazing how many drivers "stop" at 20 mph as they turn right on red.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:53 AM

919 posts, read 1,083,783 times
Old thread... but hasn't the redlight cameras been take out?

Old 07-01-2014, 08:12 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 2,746,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
You have to stop at a red light, because it's red. Red means "stop". I get what you're saying, though, runninggirltoo. There's an intersection at Victory and Canoga in Woodland Hills/Canoga Park. Even though the traffic turning left from Victory onto Canoga has a green arrow, there is no corresponding green arrow for drivers to make a right from Canoga onto Victory. You still have to stop, even though there is no opposing traffic or pedestrians. Some signals have it, and some don't. Sepulveda and Victory in Van Nuys does have that green arrow to turn right (from Victory onto Sepulveda), so it's rather random.

I find it entertaining that the "rolling stop" is so common here that it became known as a "California stop"! It's amazing how many drivers "stop" at 20 mph as they turn right on red.
The reason for what you think is random green arrows is U-Turns. If the left hand turner is making a U-Turn instead of turning left, then the right hand turners don't have the right of way.

Using this picture, if the white car is turning left then yes, the red car seems like it would be free to turn right. But if white car is making a U-Turn, the red car does have other traffic to consider.

The intersections where the red car would have a right green arrow when the white car has a left arrow have a "No U Turn" sign for the white car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles