U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:58 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,497,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
The reason for what you think is random green arrows is U-Turns. If the left hand turner is making a U-Turn instead of turning left, then the right hand turners don't have the right of way.

Using this picture, if the white car is turning left then yes, the red car seems like it would be free to turn right. But if white car is making a U-Turn, the red car does have other traffic to consider.

The intersections where the red car would have a right green arrow when the white car has a left arrow have a "No U Turn" sign for the white car.
Bingo! This is what I came here to say, but you even included a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
Old thread... but hasn't the redlight cameras been take out?
If it is in the city of LA proper, yes, however the thread was re-hashed for the above topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 12:11 PM

14,527 posts, read 16,116,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshanks View Post
Today, I stopped at a right turn red light and waited for some oncoming traffic to pass and then i went and was pulled over by a cop for not yielding to oncoming traffic even though i had plenty of time to move. I was cited with 21452(b) of the code. I had a witness in my car as well. Is there a way to contest this and win the case?
No. Yes. ............ [noting this is an old topic and the post is ancient history]

No. Unfortunately the courts will believe a police officer over you, even if you have a witness. The distance of approaching vehicles is an opinion call, the police officer is an expert, you and your passenger are unqualified civilians who have no practical experience worthy of court recognition. You lose.

Yes. This tactic works even if you are guilty. Request a court hearing. Appear in court on the appointed day. It is sometimes the case that the officer cannot appear due to a variety of situations including being on vacation. If you appear and the officer does not appear then the case is dismissed. You win.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:13 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,497,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
No. Yes. ............ [noting this is an old topic and the post is ancient history]

No. Unfortunately the courts will believe a police officer over you, even if you have a witness. The distance of approaching vehicles is an opinion call, the police officer is an expert, you and your passenger are unqualified civilians who have no practical experience worthy of court recognition. You lose.

Yes. This tactic works even if you are guilty. Request a court hearing. Appear in court on the appointed day. It is sometimes the case that the officer cannot appear due to a variety of situations including being on vacation. If you appear and the officer does not appear then the case is dismissed. You win.
Wooo, responding to dead comments instead of the reason the post was revived.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I find it entertaining that the "rolling stop" is so common here that it became known as a "California stop"! It's amazing how many drivers "stop" at 20 mph as they turn right on red.
Actually the correct term is "{name your state} rolling stop." They have this in every state that has a "must stop" law.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
The reason for what you think is random green arrows is U-Turns. If the left hand turner is making a U-Turn instead of turning left, then the right hand turners don't have the right of way.
Not true. You are allowed to make a U turn only if you can safely do so. Also, generally speaking, a U-turn is a type of left turn, and left turns are lower right of way than a legal right turn into a right lane.

There are of course exceptions to everything. If the right turner has a "no right turn on red light" sign then U-turn is okay. If U-turn ends up in any lane except the far right lane he is okay. I won't bother with complications of two right turn lanes.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Wooo, responding to dead comments instead of the reason the post was revived.
Wooo, like you care. Wooo, like I care. Let me know when you get your appointment as a moderator.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:29 PM

There are a lot of good answers in this topic and I have little to add except the following:

The thick white line at your approaching side of the cross walk is known as the "limit line." It is on the approaching side of the intersection because pedestrians have right of way, and you are REQUIRED to stop before your front bumper crosses the limit line to protect possible pedestrians from injury.

You are required to come to a full stop because that is the law. The obvious exception is when you have a green right turn arrow. That does still not excuse you from watching for oncoming traffic and pedestrians even if only for common sense that you do not want to become involved in a traffic accident or run over a pedestrian even if it is not your fault.

Really the California Motor Vehicle Code is merely a best attempt to cover every situation in the attempt to ensure the safety of the public. Due to the vast differences in designs of intersections, traffic conditions, conflicting laws and many other things, there is only one thing you can do: drive safely and do your best to obey the CA MVC.

It is not possible to unambiguously cover every possible situation no matter how complex the CA MVC is or becomes.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:36 PM

By the way, it's an interesting case if a pedestrian crosses in the middle of a street far from intersections. Common sense says to stop for them even though they are violating the law -- jaywalking -- and you have the right of way. If you hit them, stop at the scene of the accident, maybe try to help the pedestrian, hopefully contact law enforcement and call an ambulance, then wait until a police officer takes your statement and says you can leave.

There are two ways to lose in this scenario. 1.) You leave the scene of the accident. Felony hit and run. 2.) You are inebriated, and don't count on the under 0.08 percent alcohol blood concentration to save you. It is conceivable that you could still be declared DUI even with 0.02 or 0.03 percent.

The lesson is clear. Do not hit pedestrians if at all possible. Do not leave the scene of the accident until after authorities have authorized you. Do not drink and drive. Do not count on being under 0.08 to save you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles