U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hum002 View Post
Does anyone have info abt Baldwin park, LA. I got job transfer from Minneapolis to company in Baldwin Park. How is Baldwin park to live as a single mom? Or any safe/decent nighbourhood closer to baldwin Park? Thanks
Hmm002. If you are moving from Minneapolis I wouldn't suggest Baldwin Park CA. Although you won't find Minn. home or apt prices anywhere near Baldwin Park, I would suggest Glendora, San Dimas, or La Verne. Nice areas and not to far from Baldwin Park. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 08:01 AM

5,612 posts, read 13,801,628 times
I lived in West Covina (a stone's throw to Baldwin) and I will tell you while there isn't a lot of crime, the crime that is there is mostly gang related and violent. Baldwin Park is a predominately Hispanic community. As mentioned in other threads, the Hispanic community goes out of its way to exclude and/or discriminate against non-Hispanics unless you are willing to assimilate to them?

I thought they came here but apparently it's the other way around?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:52 AM

5,409 posts, read 11,542,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I lived in West Covina (a stone's throw to Baldwin) and I will tell you while there isn't a lot of crime, the crime that is there is mostly gang related and violent. Baldwin Park is a predominately Hispanic community. As mentioned in other threads, the Hispanic community goes out of its way to exclude and/or discriminate against non-Hispanics unless you are willing to assimilate to them?

I thought they came here but apparently it's the other way around?
this couldnt be farther from the truth. no exclusionary or discriminatory practices agaisnt non hispanics. this is crazy.

i have become acquainted with BP within the last 15 years. i have met filipinos, whites, and mexicans who all live on the same block, who all have family parties together, who all care for each other. thru thes people whom i have befreiended i have been able to see more people from BP and they are all very welcoming.

being hispanic does not make a person automatically hostile towards other groups.

thats as silly as saying. "all black people have a chip on their shoulder and think the white man is keeping them down. thats why black people hate white people. dont they know, white people are only trying to assimilate black people!"

pretty silly huh?

anyhow as for crime in the area. it has an ebb and flo. last year there were a rash of killings, mostly gang related and mostly within a certain area. this year has been relatively calm.
i personally would not live there because its a bit too suburban and far from the city center of LA.
if you do get the job in Baldwin Park, you can live there, or in other surrounding areas. it really depends on what type of community you are looking for.
most homes in the area are modest homes. some nicer ones. but mostly modest ones.
West covina, and La puente/industry hills area, might be a better fit.
it just depends on what you are looking for as a single mom?
trying to find a step dad? trying to find after school activities? trying to find affordable housing? trying to find parks and rivers and mntns?

more info would help.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:27 AM

330 posts, read 1,209,565 times
Thumbs down Mexifornia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOOOOOO View Post
Come on people...it's obvious the Mexifornian's aren't going anywhere. Texas Turkey and Escape CA both killed it when you got racial. This is supposed to be Mexifornia not the damn South!!! How about we all got off our high horse and realize we have no lives since we have time to spend on a dumb city message board. Can I get an amen...I know someone will probably write some dumb reply to this because you got your panties in a bunch. But guess what I'm ignorant...I DON'T CARE! Your ignorant too for wasting your time like I just did replying!!!! HAHAHAHA, I love this country. I couldn't write something like this somewhere else. blah blah blah
Anytime someone mentions the obvious, it is suddenly "racial". If your city is 98% Mexican, it is Mexifornia not California. Just like El Paso, Texas and other sections in Southern Texas, they are Texicans not Texans. That environment is not for everyone. When one race dominates, it is not diversity anymore. Demographics shouldn't get people so bent out of shape. Have you read the paper lately?, many Mexicans are returning to Mexico. So many construction and labor jobs have dried up here. The rest are being deported because employers are being fined and the safe houses are being raided by the INS. This post probably doesn't belong here. But, I didn't bring this up. If you like Mexifornia, you may live and die here. The ones that don't we say to you, "Audios Mexifornia!".

Old 10-24-2008, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
Hey .. just wondering what is bad about Baldwin Park? I've checked out the crime statistics and they are well below national average

Because no one calls the cops when there are shootings! I lived off Feather Ave and witnessed 2 drive-bys and the cops never came. I would hear gunshots every night and never sirens. No one calls the cops when everyone is a criminal.

I grew up in LA so that kind of thing was sort of normal for me. I live in the mid-west now and realize just how ridiculous it was to live there like nothing was going on. And to pay 1k to live in a subdivided house with 9 other roommates.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:16 PM

938 posts, read 3,736,782 times
I'm in the area fairly often (know somebody who works at the Kaiser Permanente)..

let me tell you. it's a sh*thole, it's emblematic of everything that sucks here; soaring illegal immigration, failing schools, uncontrolled sprawl, nasty homes with cars parked in the grass, trashy businesses (good luck finding something outside of the local taqueria or run of the mill burger joint).

Old 10-26-2008, 02:38 AM

48 posts, read 247,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
According to City-Data's stats and California School Performance Maps, its poor, uneducated, overwhelmingly Hispanic, and the schools suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
let me tell you. it's a sh*thole, it's emblematic of everything that sucks here; soaring illegal immigration, failing schools, uncontrolled sprawl, nasty homes with cars parked in the grass, trashy businesses (good luck finding something outside of the local taqueria or run of the mill burger joint).
I grew up in Baldwin Park and lived there for over 20 years. Everything you've said here is exactly right. Full of gang members young and old, have to watch your back all the time, bad sprawl, seriously trashy houses (half-dismantled cars in the grass, yep) and businesses (filthy carnicerias and taquerias, and crappy little delapidated shops, yep), widespread poverty, and more. I went through the pathetic school system there too... the kids are mostly gang members, the parents mostly don't care so often neither do the administrators or teachers. Often hearing gunshots, yep. We were also burglarized three times. Such a lovely place, I'd recommend it to anyone with a masochistic streak... or a death wish.

Seriously, do yourself a big favor and listen to the nice people here directing you to other cities.

I finally left the h*llhole Southern California has become and now I can't believe I ever lived like that, as if that kind of insanity was normal! If my circumstances had been different I'd have left years before I did. Many of the people I know from there have left and found happiness in other states, and others are looking to leave as soon as the opportunity presents itself. No job, no matter what the salary and benefits, could convince any of us to go back. If you haven't lived it, trust me you do not know what you're getting into... but if you think we're BSing you, go try it and you will no doubt learn the hard way. But don't say we didn't try to warn you.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:05 PM

6,487 posts, read 10,260,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Phitt View Post

Seriously, do yourself a big favor and listen to the nice people here directing you to other cities.
Seriously, listen to Ms.Phitt... what she says is spot on.

OK to work there, but not to live. As others have said, stay north of the 10 fwy.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:43 PM

3,059 posts, read 4,418,408 times
Don't move to Baldwin Park. 35 years ago it was a nice place but not anymore.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:07 AM

13 posts, read 28,456 times
What do you want to leave Minneapolis?? Sure, you can freeze your "c" off in the wintertime, but at least it's safer!!

Alas, it can get rather dull, too! Whan to be bored to death? Try living in Brooklyn Center! Behind the high school was a series of apartment buildings that all looked alike! On a positive note, every one who lived there was of the same kind! That's good to know in these times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or