Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,888 times

Advertisements

I am interested in moving to L.A. area (Lancaster, CA) from Charlotte, NC. Anyone had that experience? If so, can you recommend a moving company? I have four children and will be moving with them (no husband). I will also be bringing only about a room of furniture/necessities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 08:56 AM

82 posts, read 358,658 times
Sorry no experience but just wanted to warn you to really do your research on the Lancaster, Ca area if you havent done so. Yes its cheaper to live here, but there is a lot of problems in this area, poorly rated schools, Section 8, a lot of welfare and gang garbage, some advice can be given on areas better to live in and the best possible schools.

If you can afford the westside of Lancaster or Palmdale (and check out the neighborhood ask around first) and put your kids in Private School, thats the best possible way to go living in this area. And make sure you have Air conditioning in your vehicle, or you will die in the summer.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:32 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchavis View Post
I am interested in moving to L.A. area (Lancaster, CA) from Charlotte, NC. Anyone had that experience? If so, can you recommend a moving company? I have four children and will be moving with them (no husband). I will also be bringing only about a room of furniture/necessities.
Out of curiosity, why Lancaster...and why not Charlotte? I've read some good things about North Carolina (but not necessarily Charlotte): jobs, weather, schools, progress. Does Charlotte benefit from this?

Old 04-25-2008, 10:07 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times
Does it have to be Lancaster?

Old 04-25-2008, 02:20 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Lancaster is a no-frills inexpensive suburb in the desert north of LA and most people would not consider it to be a desirable area. Unless you have local employment you will face 1+ hour commutes one-way. I would never consider living there unless economy was the primary consideration. Note also that it's very hot in the summer and can get quite cold in the winter.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:08 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,826 times
I personally do not like Lancaster at all - ugly high desert with rising crime rates. The Carolinas sound very nice to me, though! Why not try Charleston, SC? Much closer, cheaper, and would be much nicer than Lancaster. Just a suggestion - you may have a reason to move to CA that I don't know about, though.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:04 PM

241 posts, read 934,918 times
We just moved from Los Angeles to Raleigh and we used the ABF Relocubes to move.

They drop the cubes in your driveway, you fill them and they deliver them for you, for about $1100 each cube.

We hired an outside mover to help us pack them up for a few hundred dollars.

Knock on wood, we only had a few things break!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles