U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 03:25 PM

4,708 posts, read 7,837,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I agree with you: The kids are the priority. But, reality is, not everyone works in an office. Not everyone can be as close as you would be. Not everyone is married.

Not complexity at all - it is called, REALITY

I really wish you would ditch the OFF-TOPIC sermonizing about REALITY and try to help out the OP. Your REALITY is off the grid and irrelevant to the rest of the U.S. That has been established on this forum a long time ago.

There ain't NOTHING wrong with my advice to the OP to try to keep things simpler if possible -- that is, keep the commute heavier for one parent or the other (NOT a single-parent scenario,according to the OP). And it IS possible for LOTS of folks out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 03:29 PM

25,106 posts, read 35,851,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
I really wish you would ditch the sermonizing about REALITY and try to help out the OP. Your REALITY is off the grid and irrelevant to the rest of the U.S.
I disagree. Or, are you suggesting that every parent has a job in an office? That there are no single parents out there?

Not everyone has the luxury of living as close to their childs school as you, or I, might like. They just don't.

The OP has indicated a 40 minute drive + or - to their childs school. I get the impression this is what has to be.

You are seemingly trying to berate and belittle her as being a bad parent -

I'm simply trying to point out - not everyone can live the way YOU think they should -

Old 05-23-2008, 03:29 PM

4,708 posts, read 7,837,064 times
Off-topic, argumentative, And Dilatory

Get it?

(I think you have a pending date with a Mod.)

Old 05-23-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onubita View Post
Thanks, Greatday, that is kind of the answer. Of course, we do not like the idea of having to do this.
I know your kids are important to you - and you will do the best you can. Obviously being closer is preferred by you but, you do what you feel you must do.

Good Luck

Old 05-23-2008, 04:08 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,559,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
People do what they have to do all the time.

You are a single parent - you don't have an "office" per se. You are on the road - what do you do? How about making arrangements with a neighbor or friend - etc.
I understand what you're trying to say Greatday, but none of your exceptions apply to the OP's
situation as he described it. If you can't work near you're school age children then you can't.
But if you could- why wouldn't you?
Also, if you're appealing to parents for information and your priorities seemed skewed and not
in the best-interest of your children then lots of parents are going to write you off as a bad job
and not worth replying to. IMO

Last edited by laysayfair; 05-23-2008 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-23-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I understand what you're trying to say Greatday, but none of your exceptions apply to the OP's
situation as he described it. If you can't work near you're school age children then you can't.
But if you could- why wouldn't you?

Oh, I completely agree! My point was (and is) that not everyone has that luxury. Yet there were some here who were actually criticizing the Original poster - without knowing all the facts. I just think that was wrong.

Again - if I had kids - and I worked - I'd love to have a job next door to the kids school!

Old 05-25-2008, 01:24 AM

10 posts, read 27,181 times
Hi there,

Thanks so much for taking such a personal interest in this discusion. I think all points of view exposed are valid. Please, do not get upset with each other.

Believe me, our kids are our main concern, otherwise we would not care about gathering so much information about schools. We will definitely consider the possibility of choosing a place next to mom's work. Which brings me to the next questions. What about elementaries and neighborhoods around Northridge?

Old 05-25-2008, 07:47 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,716,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onubita View Post
Which brings me to the next questions. What about elementaries and neighborhoods around Northridge?
You can start here:

California School Performance Maps

Old 05-25-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Wow, Charles, what a great tool!!!! Thanks so much, this is definitely "the broad picture"

Old 05-25-2008, 10:41 AM

Default Is Topanga Canyon Boulevard (27) an alternative?

Hi,

Several friends are recommending us Woodland Hills, but none of them commute to Santa Monica or vecinities. Does anybody know if the route 27 is a bearable commute from Woodland Hills to the coast? I have found some comments about it, but not very precise about estimated times.

any clue?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or