Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 12:49 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,294 times

Advertisements

If you will have a car and are interested in the industry, you should stay around Burbank/Glendale/Studio City and make day trips to the coast. Cheaper, safer, close to many of the studios, you can get tickets to the taping of shows, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2022, 12:51 PM

22 posts, read 12,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Your approach is all wrong. Just say what your budget is per night. If you are less than $100 for a hotel in Los Angeles you are ASKING for a dangerous area or a dive, that is dirty.

Near as I can figure you are looking at the American Hotel in the Arts District ($74 a night), Hollywood Inn Suites Hotel ($78 a night) and something east of the 405 Freeway.

You'd be far better off in a hostel.
Thanks for the recommendation of a hostel. My budget is low at under $100/night to $115. I'm not high maintenance, I can do a dive. I just can't do dangerous.

Old 02-20-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
I searched on Booking.com
There are some hotels that are slightly more than $100 (though, taxes must be added).

Of course, I've never been in any of them.
Of course, there are homeless in Hollywood.

Motel 6 in Hollywood. Try www.motel6.com sometimes they have coupons/discounts.
https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/mot...hollywood.html

Trylon Hotel on Franklin in Hollywood.
https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/trylon.html

Dunes Inn on Wilshire.
https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/dun...-wilshire.html

This helps alot, thanks.

Old 02-20-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
lol yea you need to experience the real LA and driving from the south bay on the 405 is a must

you need to see how damn expensive it is by trying to get a decent hotel room on the west side

and you must see the homeless scum in DTLA try walking around after 5pm - yep perfect examples

not gonna lie, this made me less excited about ultimately moving there... but every city has it's cons

Old 02-20-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
For accommodation, if I were you, I would be looking at Air BnB rooms in the Culver City, Marina Del Rey, Culver West, Mar Vista, Santa Monica, West LA area. These are all fairly low crime areas, comparatively, largely residential but usually with some bars and restaurants within walking distance, not too noisy (but I wouldn't stay in Venice...). You can find reasonable places, not flash but not a dump, in the $75-120 range (and more, obviously). Generally much more bang for your buck, close to both bus and light rail public transport, easy to get to from the airport, and you might get a great host who gives you good advice about the area.

I personally would not stay in any of the areas you mentioned, unless I had an early flight and needed to be by the airport. There's nothing there for a visitor (or a local, really), it's all airport services - hotels, fast food, rental cars.
Excellent leads, thank you.

Old 02-20-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Great. Looking forward to your participation in this thread you started. We really do need more info from you in order to provide you with the best recommendations. Right now, all we have to go on is your 7 post history that shows you traveled alone in the past (2014), became a single mom in 2016 (this makes your kid 7-8 years old now right), and you are once again looking to travel alone. Im sure your 7-8 year old would have loved to visit as well to go to Disneyland or Magic Mountain. But I guess with school being in session and Covid going on, I understand a bit why you are willing to travel and take vacation without the kid. Why no travel with girlfriends?

Again, as I mentioned in an earlier post, what are the destinations/attractions you are most interested in seeing during your visit here to Los Angeles? Letting everyone know that, and your budget will help you get really good recommendations. Im also very curious as to your choices of locations you listed of where to stay (El Segundo Blvd, Century blvd., Hewitt, etc.). None of those areas are prime destination or desired hotel areas where people stay when visiting Los Angeles. What SPECIFIC hotels on those streets are you referring too?

Yeah, I'm definitely not bringing my kid this go round. I considered asking a girlfriend but chances are high she won't go, so I am planning as just solo.

I'm mostly interested in filming and those are the kind of attractions I want to see mainly. I even want to apply for jobs in that industry and see if I get lucky, but I'm not holding my breath.

Total budget $1000 for the week, and the room will take up a huge chunk of that but I am driving and good at budgeting otherwise.

Those were hotels strictly based on pricing on booking.com. I had to start somewhere. But ideally I want something within 30-50 mins of Hollywood or whatever other area(s) films get produced.

Old 02-20-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
They do films out in the valley, too. You know, the other kind.
lol. Thanks for the heads up. Not sure how to avoid the valley, since I don't know where it is but I'll keep it in mind.

Old 02-20-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
If you will have a car and are interested in the industry, you should stay around Burbank/Glendale/Studio City and make day trips to the coast. Cheaper, safer, close to many of the studios, you can get tickets to the taping of shows, etc.
Oooh this is really good. Didn't even think about tickets to show tapings! That would be a dream come true. Putting these areas on my research list.

Old 02-20-2022, 02:47 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,292,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly_melly_belly View Post
I want to see movie sets, get involved in groups, even find a job if possible.
Warner Brothers, Paramount, etc provide studio tours.
But I think all tours are canceled now.

I believe all hiring is done online. Actors go to casting studios, and then wait for years.

Old 02-20-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
Warner Brothers, Paramount, etc provide studio tours.
But I think all tours are canceled now.

I believe all hiring is done online. Actors go to casting studios, and then wait for years.
Ahh, that makes sense. I'm more into directing than acting but I have to work my way up, so I just want to work in a studio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles