Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2022, 03:24 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,896,215 times

Advertisements

My kids want us to visit Union Station, eat at the French Dip restaurant and walk to and around DT. I havent been there for almost 20 years. How is the homeless/general freakiness there now? In your face very aggressive? Typical city grit or no go for a suburban family of 5? Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 05:56 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,861,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
My kids want us to visit Union Station, eat at the French Dip restaurant and walk to and around DT. I havent been there for almost 20 years. How is the homeless/general freakiness there now? In your face very aggressive? Typical city grit or no go for a suburban family of 5? Thx
You all got guns? Know how to use 'em?

j/k

(Well, not really...)

EDIT~ I see ur in DC metro. Nevermind, nothing unusual for you.

Don't loiter when you walk. Walk with a purpose. They're less inclined to harass when you give off the "Don't mess with me" vibe.

Old 02-18-2022, 06:33 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
I used to work at City Hall in Los Angeles. That was my first job out of college. You do not want to walk from Union Station to downtown it is too far for one thing. A family of five walking from Union Station to the federal building, city hall area which is what comes first before downtown? It is really far. If you walk to the city hall area it's not that far but downtown, forget it.

Take the Light rail to downtown. I don't mean to be snarky but LA's downtown really is not all that great. It's just a bunch of Office Buildings. The main public library is kind of cool especially since they brought it back from the dead after a major incident years ago.

Old 02-19-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
You all got guns? Know how to use 'em?

j/k

(Well, not really...)

EDIT~ I see ur in DC metro. Nevermind, nothing unusual for you.

Don't loiter when you walk. Walk with a purpose. They're less inclined to harass when you give off the "Don't mess with me" vibe.

Thanks sounds like normal city vibes.

Old 02-19-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post

Take the Light rail to downtown. I don't mean to be snarky but LA's downtown really is not all that great. It's just a bunch of Office Buildings. The main public library is kind of cool especially since they brought it back from the dead after a major incident years ago.
Yeah I used to go up to LA a lot when we lived in San Diego and I never walked anywhere- parked at the Cathedral then drove to whatever. My Kids are all excited about LAs Union Station - see "Hard Hat Harrys" Childrens Videos-- and go up the OUE Skyspace. idki the rail was even open when I lived in SoCal 20 years ago. The kids will want to do that too and cut into my Beach Time....

[URL="https://archive.org/details/hard-hat-harry-real-life-trains-for-kids-vhs-1995"]https://archive.org/details/hard-hat-harry-real-life-trains-for-kids-vhs-1995[/URL]

Old 02-19-2022, 10:07 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,389,513 times
Dash bus B goes from union Station Olvera street to grand Ave 1st street, down bunker Hill.

But usually if I start at Olvera street, I walk down Alameda to arts district and little Tokyo. Then 1st street to grand park and music center fountains, rest, then grand avenue to figuroa stairs,, inside central library, out towards macys or target and LA live. Lots of walking.

Another route is little Tokyo, to grand central market to eat, last bookstore, then walk Broadway to see old architecture and shopping at Burlington or Ross then over to macys with a stop at dunking donuts at 8th and olive.

If you want to skip little Tokyo, from philippes walk on Cesar Chavez Ave to Broadway Chinatown dragon gate, onto Broadway and walk to temple Street. Though Broadway has had tents but unsure if they re there near the freeway. I often cut through the stairs up to hill street , there is an old fountain. Then walk to hill and temple street where the cathedral is located.

Old 02-20-2022, 01:01 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,946,275 times
I believe the OUE Skyspace is permanently closed. From Union Station, it is an easy walk to Philippe The Original for lunch, then take the tour of Olvera Street. If you time it correctly, you might want to pay a visit at the first fire station in the city.

Old 02-20-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Dash bus B goes from union Station Olvera street to grand Ave 1st street, down bunker Hill.

Another route is little Tokyo, to grand central market to eat, last bookstore, then walk Broadway to see old architecture and shopping at Burlington or Ross then over to macys with a stop at dunking donuts at 8th and olive....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I believe the OUE Skyspace is permanently closed. ...
Thanks awesome info! too bad about oue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles