Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 09:24 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That fact that you fail to see the "illogical" and many times overly-emotional posts of the pro-mask said shows you lack the ability to objectively look at both sides. Yet you somehow convince yourself you're some neutral observer while almost entirely supporting one side.

When it comes to personal attacks and ad hominems yes certainly less forceful imo.
I see “illogical and many times overly-emotional posts of the pro-mask“ on every page of posts here. Every page. Jam-packed. I couldn’t respond to them all if I wanted … (which I don’t).

I see them ALL objectively and … well, back up a moment: I don’t “see them all”, objectively or otherwise because there are simply too many to follow even if I cared to (which I definitely don’t) … and, I pick a few here and there to exercise my brain a moment.

As I said before several times: picking apart a post or any number of posts on its / their individual fallacies is not taking sides on an issue … except in your own biased mind.

Certain posters here, yourself among them, are completely obsessed with this pandemic … obsessed. Knock yourself out. I’m here for occasional target practice. I shoot at whatever strikes me at the moment. If I shoot more often or even mostly often at “one side” it’s not “the side” that gets my attention. It’s the individual post.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:18 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I see “illogical and many times overly-emotional posts of the pro-mask“ on every page of posts here. Every page. Jam-packed. I couldn’t respond to them all if I wanted … (which I don’t).

I see them ALL objectively and … well, back up a moment: I don’t “see them all”, objectively or otherwise because there are simply too many to follow even if I cared to (which I definitely don’t) … and, I pick a few here and there to exercise my brain a moment.

As I said before several times: picking apart a post or any number of posts on its / their individual fallacies is not taking sides on an issue … except in your own biased mind.

Certain posters here, yourself among them, are completely obsessed with this pandemic … obsessed. Knock yourself out. I’m here for occasional target practice. I shoot at whatever strikes me at the moment. If I shoot more often or even mostly often at “one side” it’s not “the side” that gets my attention. It’s the individual post.
Sure you see them but pretty much never call them out, that's taking sides whether you can admit that or not. And of course the only thing that "strikes" are anti-mask/mandate posts. At least you finally admitted your own biases so you're almost there! Baby steps!

Old 03-05-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Sure you see them but pretty much never call them out, that's taking sides whether you can admit that or not. And of course the only thing that "strikes" are anti-mask/mandate posts. At least you finally admitted your own biases so you're almost there! Baby steps!
Lol. I haven’t admitted to any issue biases whatsoever. The only bias here in this exchange between us is your personal *bias* against acknowledging the truth of my statements.

You want to suggest that I have some obligation to respond equally to posts of opposing views - or be declared *side A* or *side B*. Pretty funny.

What’s particularly amusing here is that, truth be told, I’m not a *masker* advocate. I wear them to be cooperative … knowing they can’t hurt anything. I also recognize that to some degree they must capture some virus being expelled, thus theoretically reducing potential spread. That said, the degree of mask efficacy is hard to know at this point still … and, more importantly, the degree to which any efficacy might be measurable against reducing the disease in sufficient amount to justify the economic shutdowns … yadda yadda etc … is probably completely unknowable.

Thus explained, my personal *position* of taking the side you project I do … is laughably false.

Have a nice day niggling these pandemic *issues* to death, sav. … Or maybe take a nice walk to the park with your twins.

Old 03-05-2022, 01:41 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I am still having trouble getting my head around this resistance to doing something required by authority. I mean, we've been wearing seatbelts in our cars, driving with insurance, we followed traffic laws, pay rent mortgage and taxes, people wear certain uniforms and gear while working in hospitals, chemical plants, refineries and other places that harbor toxic substances. Doctors have always worn masks, people working in kitchens have to wear hairnets and clean hands covered with gloves, we even listen to our bodies when they tell us something is wrong. Airport ground crews, welders, etc... But over the last couple of years, wearing a mask for one's personal health and the safety of fellow citizens seems like asking us to carry a torture stake. I've never really enjoyed doing any of the things that I've mentioned above, but if it ensures my health or safety, honestly, I don't have a problem. But hey, this is America, land of the free to complain and resist.
Recommendation vs law….. big difference

Plus the past 2 years has left many disillusioned, including many medical practitioners who feel betrayed

Old 03-05-2022, 01:48 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Lol. I haven’t admitted to any issue biases whatsoever. The only bias here in this exchange between us is your personal *bias* against acknowledging the truth of my statements.

You want to suggest that I have some obligation to respond equally to posts of opposing views - or be declared *side A* or *side B*. Pretty funny.

What’s particularly amusing here is that, truth be told, I’m not a *masker* advocate. I wear them to be cooperative … knowing they can’t hurt anything. I also recognize that to some degree they must capture some virus being expelled, thus theoretically reducing potential spread. That said, the degree of mask efficacy is hard to know at this point still … and, more importantly, the degree to which any efficacy might be measurable against reducing the disease in sufficient amount to justify the economic shutdowns … yadda yadda etc … is probably completely unknowable.

Thus explained, my personal *position* of taking the side you project I do … is laughably false.

Have a nice day niggling these pandemic *issues* to death, sav. … Or maybe take a nice walk to the park with your twins.
Sure you did, you explained why you tend to side with more “liberal” posters showing your bias.

You don’t have an obligation to do anything but realize when you only call out a specific side that’s taking sides. It doesn’t matter whatever you tell yourself.

You don’t mind masks and I’m assuming a mask mandate. That’s a side.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Sure you did, you explained why you tend to side with more “liberal” posters showing your bias.

You don’t have an obligation to do anything but realize when you only call out a specific side that’s taking sides. It doesn’t matter whatever you tell yourself.

Lol again. It doesn’t matter what YOU tell yourself: You are conflating analysis with support for / against the issues analyzed.

News organizations are constantly accused of *bias* … and, in many cases it’s true. But there are some news analysts who stick very strictly to *best practices* investigation and reporting … regardless of any “editorial” bias held by the organization they work for. Even FOX News has some pretty good, fair, balanced journalists regularly stepping up to truth bar, for example.

Great example is NPR: commonly called out for being a liberal voice. Analyses of NPR’s reporting, however, by every credible media analysis function, reveals that: despite their topic selections leaning more often to left-issue interests than to right, their actual issue research and analyses and presentations are about as *Center* as any media. … They simply cover the issues without taking a *side*.

I don’t *side* with liberal posters when I accurately reveal flaws in faux-conservative babbling. I simply reveal flaws. And I do dissect liberal issues as well, though less often for reasons explained previously: though I often differ with liberal proposals and philosophies, I find them typically less offensive than the kind of (faux) conservatism expressed on anonymous forums. But I still don’t favor or endorse them.

Were we to have much intellectual quality in these common, contemporary right-wing postings - as opposed to ignorant outbursts and taunting - you’d not see so many posts from me. Some of my very favorite contemporary thinkers and journalists, for example, are conservatives such as David Brooks, George Will, William Kristol, and their ilk, who these days are dubbed RINOs by brain dead True Believers.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:

*Mask mandates*? Personally, I don’t care one way or the other. They were a shot at controlling spread under the best-guess scientific consensus during the early stages of a new learning curve. They won’t be around long.

In the military - my background for many considerations in life - leadership protocols are necessary … life and death stuff. Leadership decisions aren’t always right in retrospect. But we troops had to follow command decisions to operate toward common goals. If command decides to issue a mask protocol, and troops object … tough. Put on your mask anyway and suck it up until experience or new information calls for revision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles