U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:18 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,683,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTheDonny View Post
LA downtown is a disgrace to America. Who the heck would want to live there

I'll take that with a grain of salt from a poster who lists David Duke as his hero. Hard to even take your post/profile serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 02:32 PM

13 posts, read 7,698 times
Man, stop following me and worrying about my heroes. Do you blame blacks whose hero is MLK, too? Or are you simply coming from an illegal alien family and are raised to hate this country? It would come as no surprise to me, cognizant a situation in CA

Old 06-19-2011, 02:41 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,683,739 times
Quote:
Man, stop following me and worrying about my heroes. Do you blame blacks whose hero is MLK, too? Or are you simply coming from an illegal alien family and are raised to hate this country? It would come as no surprise to me, cognizant a situation in CA
You are a troll. I am white (non-hispanic) and trace my ancestors to BEFORE the American Revolution. MLK is an American hero. David Duke is a racist piece of white trash (like you).

Old 06-19-2011, 02:47 PM

13 posts, read 7,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
You are a troll. I am white (non-hispanic) and trace my ancestors to BEFORE the American Revolution. MLK is an American hero. David Duke is a racist piece of white trash (like you).
and why would that be so? It's funny I hear this lots of times but when I ask for some arguments people can't give me any. Duke is all about the facts. All he does is states the facts. I could say the same thing about MLK but this forum is not about him or Duke. So why would you even start this discussion. Calling me a trash is nice, I could care less. So you should relax a little. Must be this cloudy weather this past week that got your mood off a little.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:15 AM

5,497 posts, read 13,332,938 times
Quote:
LA downtown is a disgrace to America. Who the heck would want to live there
This thread was started 3 years ago and I honestly can not believe people are still making ignorant comments like this. In the 3 years since this thread was started look at the number of condos/apts/lofts that have opened. Look at the dozens of restaurants/cafe and coffee shops that have opened. Look at the new hotels. Look at LA Live. Look at all the increased nightime activity. Its only getting better. I love dt Los Angeles!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:53 AM

4,270 posts, read 9,029,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meruca View Post
My step daughter just moved to the corner of 7th and Alameda. Is this unsafe?
Are you sure about that? That is near the Greyhound Station and is not a particularly good area.

Are you certain it's not 3rd/Alameda?

Old 06-20-2011, 10:24 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,719,418 times
Isn't that near skid row? I wouldn't go walking around that area at night. Or the daytime for that matter.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:33 AM

16,630 posts, read 34,724,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
You are a troll.
And you are feeding him.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:57 PM

3,905 posts, read 6,360,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Isn't that near skid row? I wouldn't go walking around that area at night. Or the daytime for that matter.
Same with MacArthur Park.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:53 PM

93 posts, read 244,658 times
Hi Dan25. Not sure if you're still reading this thread--it took sort of a strange turn. But, just in case:

My husband and I have lived in a loft downtown for 2 years, and we love it. We wouldn't want to live anywhere else in LA. The beauty of downtown living, is that there is so much to do, and you never have to get in a car to see it. There are MANY restaurants, coffee shops, bakeries and bars--these range from low-end to high-end and everything in between, and things are open late into the night and over the weekend. There are art galleries, comedy clubs, theaters (for movies and for plays), music venues (all kinds of music, from punk clubs to the opera), boutiques, bookstores, organic markets, museums. . . you will never lack something to do living downtown.

It's true--there's only one large supermarket. But, how many do you really need? In addition to the supermarket, there are two weekly farmer's markets for beautiful, fresh produce. And there are several specialty shops for things like wine, organic produce and meats, and ethnic foods. Plus, many people downtown just order groceries online and have them delivered.

In addition to the many great things to do downtown, you're just a short walk or metro ride to other fantastic neighborhoods like Little Tokyo, the Arts District and Chinatown. You can ride the Gold Line out to Pasadena, or take the Red Line to Hollywood, and you never have to sit in a single traffic jam.

With all of that said, the Little Tokyo Lofts are not in a desirable location. Things are changing all the time, and a few years from now, it may be better over there. But the building sits in a sort of no-man's-land smack in the middle of skid row. It's a few blocks from Little Tokyo, and a few blocks from the Historic Core, and those few blocks are not pleasantly walkable in the evening. So, to my mind, you'd be missing out on a lot that downtown has to offer by living there just now.

But, there are lots of other places to consider. Anything within the borders of Los Angeles St to the East, the Freeway to the West, Temple St to the North, Olympic to the South is safe, walkable and nearby lots of things to do. Groud zero for the residential community centers along Main St and Spring St (and some on Broadway)between 3rd and 8th, and along 7th Street closer to Fig. But there are also some great places spread throughout the neighborhood--especially around the north end of Pershing Square.

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles