Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 07:37 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times

Advertisements

My son is learning how to drive. I took him over to the parking lot at Valley College, and that lasted ten minutes or so before the campus police came by and told us that he couldn't practice there.

Does anyone know of a big parking lot in the SF Valley without any speed bumps? He needs to get used to the feel of the car without being able to really hit anything and do any damage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 07:57 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I taught all my friend to drive stick-shifts at a local church parking lot... I also taught a few people how do drive there also.

Starting, Stopping and Parking cover about 80% of the problem areas...

Any churches nearby where you can practice? I would do a couple of sessions before hitting... I mean going out on public streets...

Remember the adjust the seat and mirror checks... more than a few have failed the test on technicalities...

Good Luck...

What he's learning on? Honda is my guess

Old 05-20-2008, 08:01 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
Hmm, I never thought of church parking lots. Thanks, Ultrarunner! You were close with the car guess; it's a Toyota Corolla.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:09 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
That would have been my second guess... really!

My Mom's only new car and the car she absolutely loves is her 2002 Corolla 'S'...

She wanted a factory sunroof and airbags... we ended up having to order the car... you'd never guess how hard it is to get a dealer to order a car... well anyway, we found one that would.

I wrote to the President of Toyota and asked if we could come to the NUMMI plant in Fremont CA to see HER car being built...

We were welcomed as if Royalty and spent 5 hours watching her car going down the line... it was truly one of our highlights. Seemed all 5000 employee's new about Mom and how she had lost her husband 6 weeks ago and how Dad, from his hospital bed, told me to get Mom a new Toyota Corolla so he wouldn't have to worry about her...

It really was a marvelous day and every time Mom drives her car she thinks of Dad... the 40 mpg she gets on the highway helps too!!!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:03 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Take him to the parking lot at the zoo. You can also take him to practice on the street that runs through Griffith Park, the zoo and Western Heritage museum - Riverside or Victory I cant remember which one it is.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 AM

830 posts, read 2,859,743 times
Be sure and cover threshold braking, swerving, and things of that nature. He needs to be comfortable with handling a car, not scared of it.

I applaud you for taking the time to teach him. I've seen a few people on the roads that could use your help. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles