Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2022, 09:12 PM

133 posts, read 203,659 times

Advertisements

***Sorry Mods for Double/Cross-Over Post, but I figured it would be appropriate for both OC and LA forums, Hope that is ok****

Hey all

So I've been on these forums for a few years, but it looks like this year, finally going to take plunge, and leave NYC/east coast for SoCal!!

I have a few job offers, but the one I am zoning in on is in Torrance.

My wife has a potential job offer in Orange, Orange County. Interviews were last week, and they went really well.

So now we are trying to figure out, where should we live, with my job potentially being in Torrance, and hers in Orange?

Our profile

- Mid 30s, no kids
- Hoping to start a family when moving to SoCal later this year
- Would like to either live in a 3 bedroom condo or house, rent for the first 2 years
- Would like to live in a very liberal area
- Would like to live in a cosmopolitan area, diverse
- Somewhat suburbia, but not too suburbia either (my NYC analogy is we would like to live somewhere like Park Slope/Jersey City, or even a bit more suburbia like Astoria/Bay Ridge)
- We would still like to enjoy some "trendy" bars/restaurants, even with starting a family
- Live in an area who are in their mid to late 30s, with young babies/children
- Our income will be around 600k/year
- I'm not sure what a 3 bedroom rent will be, but I guess our budget is around 6k/month? but can go up if needed, to 7 or 8k.
- We will have 2 cars as well

Open to ideas and suggestions, thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 02:16 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
You can’t have all that as your commute will be the overriding factor.

I think your best bet will be Long Beach.

Bixby Knolls will make for the easiest commutes.

Belmont Shores is probably closest towards meeting your needs other than commute.

Downtown Long Beach/Bluff Heights might be worth looking at.

Both Torrance/South Bay and Orange are moderate areas with strong streaks of conservatism (ie Purple leaning red). And one of you will be left with and hour plus commute.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:09 AM

133 posts, read 203,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
You can’t have all that as your commute will be the overriding factor.

I think your best bet will be Long Beach.

Bixby Knolls will make for the easiest commutes.

Belmont Shores is probably closest towards meeting your needs other than commute.

Downtown Long Beach/Bluff Heights might be worth looking at.

Both Torrance/South Bay and Orange are moderate areas with strong streaks of conservatism (ie Purple leaning red). And one of you will be left with and hour plus commute.
Thanks,

Yep, did some reading on LB neighborhoods:

https://www.uphomes.com/blog/best-ne...-beach-ca.html

I'm just a bit concerned about my wife's commute (LB/Belmont/Bixby to Orange), so may have to look for something in OC.

But LB, apart from wife's commute, looks great.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:08 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz2014 View Post
Thanks,

Yep, did some reading on LB neighborhoods:

https://www.uphomes.com/blog/best-ne...-beach-ca.html

I'm just a bit concerned about my wife's commute (LB/Belmont/Bixby to Orange), so may have to look for something in OC.

But LB, apart from wife's commute, looks great.
It’s 700 AM

Commute from Belmont Shores to Orange via 405 and the 22 currently shows as a 30 minute drive. It’s 19 miles and in general it’s a reverse commute. If the 405 is jammed, streets to the 22 is a reasonable option.

The issue with living at any of the midpoint locations distance wise is that they are suburban and fairly conservative.

There are parts of Lakewood and Long Beach that aren’t Belmont Shores that you may want to consider, but it’s all suburban and conservative leaning. OC areas like Cypress , Los Alamitos, and Seal Beach are pretty strongly conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles