Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:04 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,536 times

Advertisements

Wanted to add that Stevenson Ranch is also right here next to Valencia if you are searching places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 09:00 PM

9 posts, read 22,045 times
I currently live in Stevenson Ranch (just next to Valencia), and I am freelance, so my commute takes me all over the city. I can tell you that when I'm working in Burbank, the commute is not bad at all, basically 30-35 minutes. Pretty much that way for Studio City and Sherman Oaks as well.

But if you need to go farther, say into Hollywood or, worse yet, the dreaded West side/Santa Monica, you're looking at a really long drive.

We actually just put our house up on the market because I've been having to commute to the West side for months now, and it's really wearing on me.

Stevenson Ranch is very nice, though, if you don't have to commute that far. Solid public schools, relatively low crime (even though it's still L.A. County), and beautiful mountains. Not to mention that it's quiet and you can see the stars at night.

I just can't handle the drive to West LA/Santa Monica anymore.

My advice, move here, but make sure your commute doesn't go past the Valley.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:33 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleebus View Post
I currently live in Stevenson Ranch (just next to Valencia), and I am freelance, so my commute takes me all over the city. I can tell you that when I'm working in Burbank, the commute is not bad at all, basically 30-35 minutes. Pretty much that way for Studio City and Sherman Oaks as well.
I'm a bit puzzled. For about four years I commuted from Northridge to Rye Canyon in Valencia, and it took me 30-35 minutes going the opposite direction from the heavy traffic. To be sure, Rye Canyon is farther north than Stevenson Ranch, but most days I would see the southbound traffic packed up slow and go or stop and go all the way from around Rye Canyon up to the 5-14 split. I don't see how it's possible that you were able to do Stevenson Ranch to Burbank in 35 minutes. ??????

Old 05-23-2008, 03:27 PM

268 posts, read 890,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyfirst View Post
Thank you! We are originally from CA when we were kids. But the biggest thing is that there are only theme parks and beaches here. There is really no nature, no beauty, no mountains or snow etc. It is all flat. We love to camp and do all sorts of nature like things. And we are just kind of sick of FL. We can't even go in lakes if we want to camp because of the alligators.
Well you are right there's no mountains or snow. But plenty of places for camping...we did it all the time when we were kids growing up in central florida. Someone mentioned fishing, you can't beat fishing in Florida...gulf fishing is the BEST!

My wife and I enjoy hiking and the like but honestly just trying to make a living and dealing with traffic we just don't do it enough to justify living here and paying outrageous rent. We're actually looking to move to Tennessee.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:43 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,476 times
If at all possible, I would highly suggest looking into Metrolink (the commuter rail) if your job takes you into the San Fernando Valley or beyond. Not sure how plausible this would be, but it would be worth looking into, especially if you get a job in Burbank.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:47 AM

9 posts, read 22,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm a bit puzzled. For about four years I commuted from Northridge to Rye Canyon in Valencia, and it took me 30-35 minutes going the opposite direction from the heavy traffic. To be sure, Rye Canyon is farther north than Stevenson Ranch, but most days I would see the southbound traffic packed up slow and go or stop and go all the way from around Rye Canyon up to the 5-14 split. I don't see how it's possible that you were able to do Stevenson Ranch to Burbank in 35 minutes. ??????
It's a pretty direct route (5S to 170s to 134E, exit Pass), very little time on surface streets, and, granted, the 30-35 minutes means you're going a bit faster than 65mph. If there's traffic on the 170 from the 101 being backed up, then you can definitely get stuck. But on days with no traffic I've done the commute in less than 30 min door to door, each way. Maybe I should slow down. :P

Rye canyon is always messy. From the split to Magic Mountain Pkwy should really only take about 10-15 min (unless there's an accident). But once you're off the freeway dealing with local streets, it's a whole new game. And, due to construction, that section of town has gotten even worse for getting around.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:53 PM

7 posts, read 18,485 times
I found a job thru [URL="http://www.scvjobs.com"]www.scvjobs.com[/URL]

You can also find jobs from several manpower agencies here like Express Employment Professionals, AppleOne, Quantum Staffing, Barron Staffing, Sage Staffing, Select, Personnel Plus, United Staffing, etc.

There are alot of Industrial and Commerce Centers here in Valencia, Rye Canyon, Hasley Canyon/Commerce Center Drive.

Commuting around here is easy. You can get a monthly bus pass from the Santa Clarita Transit for only $25 per month or just pay $1.00 per trip or $0.50 if you transfer from one bus to another.

My 2 workplaces are just 15 mins away from my house.
We use the Old Road, instead of the I-5. You can easy get around Valencia if you know the alternative routes or side streets.

Valencia is being developed rapidly. More Industrial and Commercial building are being built. More companies are moving or expanding their office here.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:58 PM

7 posts, read 18,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah1979 View Post
Well you are right there's no mountains or snow. But plenty of places for camping...we did it all the time when we were kids growing up in central florida. Someone mentioned fishing, you can't beat fishing in Florida...gulf fishing is the BEST!

My wife and I enjoy hiking and the like but honestly just trying to make a living and dealing with traffic we just don't do it enough to justify living here and paying outrageous rent. We're actually looking to move to Tennessee.
We drove to the north of I-5 at Gorman, where I saw the snow last January 2008.

You can drive to I-5 North to go to the Castaic Lake or further to the north of I-5, Pyramid Lake. Or drive to !-126 to go to Lake Piru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles