U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:26 AM

34 posts, read 174,527 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My husband is an IT Manager in FL. We want to relocate to CA and are thinking about Santa Clarita. Can anyone tell me what the closest areas he could likely have jobs available to apply from Santa Clarita? And also, how long does it take to get there? I have been reading a lot about Burbank. Is that the closest, and how long does it take? THX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 10:39 AM

269 posts, read 818,393 times
Probably Burbank will be his best bet for an IT job. I'm not sure how long commute would be...maybe 45mins??

Old 05-21-2008, 10:40 AM

269 posts, read 818,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyfirst View Post
Hello all! My husband is an IT Manager in FL. We want to relocate to CA and are thinking about Santa Clarita. Can anyone tell me what the closest areas he could likely have jobs available to apply from Santa Clarita? And also, how long does it take to get there? I have been reading a lot about Burbank. Is that the closest, and how long does it take? THX
Just curious...why move from Florida to California?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:43 AM

Thank you! We are originally from CA when we were kids. But the biggest thing is that there are only theme parks and beaches here. There is really no nature, no beauty, no mountains or snow etc. It is all flat. We love to camp and do all sorts of nature like things. And we are just kind of sick of FL. We can't even go in lakes if we want to camp because of the alligators.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:37 PM

1,888 posts, read 3,559,709 times
I would recommend looking in Santa Clarita if you want to live here. If you don't have to go over the hill into the San Fernando Valley, you will be better off IMO. There are several industrial parks here and I am sure tons of computers!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:33 AM

Hi Elousv! I was hoping that would be the case. When I look online for jobs, I did not see any that actually say Santa Clarita though. ANd that was why I was wondering. Thank you for the info!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:54 PM

1,888 posts, read 3,559,709 times
Here is the setup; Santa Clarita consists of Canyon Country, Saugus, Newhall and Valencia. Castaic is also adjacent.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:00 PM

14,527 posts, read 16,156,269 times
Quote:
But the biggest thing is that there are only theme parks and beaches here. There is really no nature, no beauty, no mountains or snow etc. It is all flat. We love to camp and do all sorts of nature like things. And we are just kind of sick of FL. We can't even go in lakes if we want to camp because of the alligators.
My sentiments exactly about Florida. Nice beaches, I have no use for theme parks, and flat flat flat flat flat! You're my kind of people, camping, hiking, nature, maybe fishing. The High Sierras are great, and about a 6 hour drive to get there. I've even gone for 3-day weekends. These days I do most of my camping in AZ, UT, NM and CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I would recommend looking in Santa Clarita if you want to live here. If you don't have to go over the hill into the San Fernando Valley, you will be better off IMO. There are several industrial parks here and I am sure tons of computers!
I'm not IT but I'm an electronic engineer and I worked in Santa Clarita for about 4 years. We had IT guys there at the technology company I worked for so there are IT jobs and there's lots of technology companies there at Rye Canyon, big industrial park.

OP, I want to warn you about the commute. All the people who commute from Palmdale and Lancaster combine with all the Santa Clarita, Valencia, Newhall and Canyon Country and totally jam the 5 and 14 freeways coming into the San Fernando Valley, incidentally that being where I live. I got a great commute because all the traffic was always going the opposite direction for me, 30 minutes from Northridge to Santa Clarita.

Also OP, look for these additional cities and areas in job locations: Valencia, Rye Canyon, Newhall, Canyon Country... I don't know about the last two but all those areas and Santa Clarita form a sort of hilly valley. By the way, it is nice out in Santa Clarita and Valencia. I find it hard to imagine somebody not liking to live there. Much of it is newly constructed and affluent.

So anyway I'm sure there are IT jobs there, only question how many.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:10 PM

225 posts, read 1,021,222 times
Quote:
Hi Elousv! I was hoping that would be the case. When I look online for jobs, I did not see any that actually say Santa Clarita though. ANd that was why I was wondering. Thank you for the info!
Like elousv said, Santa Clarita is a new city composed of a series of suburban towns that have merged. Nobody from Valencia ever says they are from Santa Clarita, and I doubt businesses advertising for jobs do either. Look for jobs in Valencia--it's something of a boom town. Or look for jobs in the San Fernando Valley that aren't 9-to-5, so you can avoid the worst traffic. Or move to the San Fernando Valley. The commute over the hill is grim, and it's only going to get worse.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:17 PM

81 posts, read 311,860 times
Quote:
Thank you! We are originally from CA when we were kids. But the biggest thing is that there are only theme parks and beaches here. There is really no nature, no beauty, no mountains or snow etc. It is all flat. We love to camp and do all sorts of nature like things. And we are just kind of sick of FL. We can't even go in lakes if we want to camp because of the alligators.
I just posted something similar to this a few minutes ago on another post. The Santa Clarita/Valencia area is one of the most desirable sections of Los Angeles for families. However, you will be better off to work in that area as commuting from there to Burbank could take you an hour or better.

Yes, there are many wonderful things that one can do in Los Angeles, but you must remember that Los Angeles and Orange County have essentially merged into one major metropolis now. Combined, LA and Orange County is now the most populated area of the US. With that, means that no matter what you want to do there are going to be A LOT of people wanting to do the same thing you are doing at the same time.

Freeways here are as bad on the weekends now as they are on the weekday. Just this past Saturday, I got on the freeway at 7 AM hoping I could beat traffic. WRONG! It was bumper to bumper at 7 AM on a Saturday with no accident or road construction going on.

There is a lot to do in LA, yes, but you are generally so exhausted and irritated by the time you get there, you don't care any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles