U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 04:46 PM

48 posts, read 176,690 times

Advertisements

this is frustrating. im trying to find an area/apartment to live and I cant even get consistent information from people that live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 04:51 PM

2,573 posts, read 7,873,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan25 View Post
this is frustrating. im trying to find an area/apartment to live and I cant even get consistent information from people that live there.
blame the person who told you that west hollywood is the safest place to live near USC. frankly, i wonder if s/he even lives here!

Old 05-21-2008, 04:59 PM

then where?

Old 05-21-2008, 05:00 PM

148 posts, read 435,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
west hollywood is not close to USC. look at this map:

City of Los Angeles Map - Larger View

west hollywood is the eastern part of the unlabeled area next to hollywood. USC is in south LA, just below west adams, and slightly west of the 110 (the red line dilineating south and southeast LA). the distance in miles isn't great, but around here, that's a cross-town commute, which we generally try to avoid.

note that there is no freeway through or near west hollywood. this means that at rush hour it will take you 20-30 minutes just to get to the nearest on-ramp before you begin the freeway portion of your cross-town crawl. the surface-street routes will take you through some of the most busy and congested parts of town, and will likely take just as long. think carefully about this before you commit to a place in west hollywood.
Please! You can shoot down San Vicente very easily to any number of cross streets near the 10 to get you down to SC, and back, fairly easily. 30 minute drive either way most times. You're right though, if you try to go straight down La Cienega and take the 10 E, that's crazy. But if you know the streets you can get around very fast during the worst rush hour traffic. Just don't take the ones everyone knows about!

As for Silverlake being sketchy, who told you that Dan? I don't remember reading that in your previous topic, it sure wasn't me. Silverlake is nice, VERY hipster, and pretty pricey now that gentrification well underway (has been, really, for the last decade plus). Sure some parts are still very sketchy, particularly the fringes. I would definitely not pay the ridiculous prices for the Palazzo, that is just nuts. Though when the Grove first opened, the women were unreal. Crazy amounts of uber hot females...not quite as much anymore, very touristy now. Hot girl/everyone else ratio has gone down tremendously.

If you're going to move to the Palazzo, you might as well just move to the Renaissance apartments or whatever they're called, right next to the 110 FWY in downtown. They're very new like Palazzo, probably just as expensive. But WAY closer to USC.

I told you to think about the West Adams district right west of USC, it's not that bad crimewise any more, and continuing to go through gentrification - getting better all the time. That way you're right there at USC. Hell, you can rent out a huge Victorian and sublet the extra bedrooms to a bunch of coeds/sorority girls.

Last edited by karkyco; 05-21-2008 at 05:09 PM..

Old 05-21-2008, 05:03 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,527,516 times
dude, this forum is for you to ask questions so you can make the most informed decision possible. we can't make the decision for you. you need to take the info you get here, visit the city, and check out the neighborhoods mentioned. we can't answer everything for you, everyone has their own personal tastes. also, you tend to ask very broad questions that have most likely been answered in previous posts that you can search through.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:03 PM

let's start from scratch:

what kind of accommodation are you seeking?

what is your rental budget?

what kind of neighborhood do you prefer?

how much "city gritty" can you tolerate? (if you say where you live now, and if you like it, that might help me understand what you are accustomed to.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:07 PM

I'm 25 and single. I want to live somewhere with lots of other people my age and bars, clubs, bistros, restaurants, etc. to be nearby. I'm looking to spend probably no more than $2300 and would prefer a 2bdr place but would take a nice 1bdr. I will be working at USC so I need to have a manageable commute, too. Currently I live in a small town on the east coast with absolutely nothing to do unless I want to drive an hour away to philly.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkyco View Post
Please! You can shoot down San Vicente very easily to any number of cross streets near the 10 to get you down to SC, and back, fairly easily. 30 minute drive either way most times. You're right though, if you try to go straight down La Cienega and take the 10 E, that's crazy. But if you know the streets you can get around very fast during the worst rush hour traffic.
i have travelled between west hollywood and west adams (closer than USC) via san vicente quite frequently, and at all times of day. at night, it takes 15-20 minutes; at peak traffic times, nearly an hour.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:10 PM

I might be able to handle an hour at peak times...Would I be able to ride a bike safely as an alternative?

Old 05-21-2008, 05:13 PM

dan,

it sounds like downtown culver city would suit you. there's a lot to do there, and you will easily find a 2BR in your budget. you can take washington, jefferson, or adams to USC if you don't want to bother with the freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or