U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 05:54 PM

148 posts, read 435,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan25 View Post
anyway so the palazzo isnt near fun things to do??
Palazzo is right next to the Grove. Grove is a touristy, cheesy open air strip mall with psuedo high end shops. Most of the attractive women that originally flocked there are long gone. Overpriced and lame IMHO.

My in-laws LOVE LOVE LOVE it. As in, go almost every day. I, as you can see, am not a fan.

Palazzo is ridiculously overpriced. Check the comps using sites like rentometer.com or others, just google for them. I don't care if young suckers are willing to (I mean their trust funds/parents) to pay the asking rates, I wouldn't care if a beautiful naked woman comes to turn down your sheets, fluff your pillows, and dust your place every night, they are overpriced.

The only thing authentic about the Grove is the Farmer's Market right next door/on the same lot. There are a couple of beer and wine bars inside, and one more upscale wine and cheese French bar inside the Farmer's Market. The 2 bars, preferably the one all the way on the west side (by the parking/Fairfax) are okay.

For nightlife, you're still going to have to drive at least to Beverly/Melrose, further down 3rd street, up La Cienega, or of course the Sunset Strip.

At least with living by the Sunset Strip and certain parts of WeHo, it's in walking distance so you can have fun and walk home. HUGE benefit IMHO.

Culver City has a little nightlife/bars. The area around USC/West Adams has a little nightlife/bars. Every area has bars and maybe even a club or two.

But if you really want to check out the 25 year old type of nightlife I'm imagining you are looking for, you need to go to the Sunset Strip, from Beverly Hills through West Hollywood and well into Hollywood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 06:17 PM

48 posts, read 176,690 times
so would you recommend I live in century city, then? I could take the 10 to USC...

Old 05-21-2008, 06:36 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,102,002 times
I think if you check all along beverly blvd and melrose west of larchmont. You would be able to find some nice places well within your budget and closer to work than the club area in N west hollywood area.

I was just at a bar..village idiot on melrose. There are a bunch of places all over that the locals and not so locals go to. Many young people living in this mid city area north of the 10 frwy and generally north of pico. Try some of the areas around fairfax as well.

What you want to be careful of are the pockets and southern areas that are not so nice. such as south of the 10 frwy and areas around western where the immigrants mostly live. You will find they generally go hand in hand with gang problems.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:39 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,102,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan25 View Post
so would you recommend I live in century city, then? I could take the 10 to USC...
Too far. If you are really safe concious and a worrier.. go with eastern side of beverly hills or adjacent to the east.

Look for a newer construction security building. If each balcony is loaded up with junk, furniture etc...keep driving, its full of immigrants.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:44 PM

Im not a worrier. I just want to live somewhere that's going to be fun. I cant get to LA before I pick a place so I have to rely on what I read.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:49 PM

Has anyone used the red line subway to union station? I wonder how that is...

Old 05-21-2008, 07:03 PM

6,294 posts, read 15,771,894 times
The Red Line isn't bad, although I've never used it during peak commuting hours.

Dan, the reason people are getting a bit frustrated is because you're trying to use us as your eyes and ears, as if we can go apartment hunting for you. I'm sorry, but we can't do that. We can give you general information about an area, but not specifics. Besides, even if we do give you specific info, who's to say it wouldn't change by the time you move here?

My best advice is for you to find a place that rents month to month, and once you're here, you can scout around for another place that would really suit you.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:15 PM

I didnt realize anyone was getting frustrated with me. Why would they? If you're getting frustrated with my questions, leave the thread. Its that simple.

I'm not asking anyone to go apartment hunting for me. I'm simply asking people what they know about certain areas and if they know of good apartments in those areas. I think it would be safe to assume that if they live there, they probably know the best places to live. It seems pretty simple to me.

I do appreciate the info i've been given, but excuse me for using this forum as it was intended.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:28 PM

6,294 posts, read 15,771,894 times
We are trying to help. I'm not frustrated, by the way. Just trying to give some good direction to your quest for the perfect place.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:50 PM

sorry. im just trying to find the best place in a short amount of time. I hear so many people saying that a good neighborhood can go bad just one street over and I want to make sure im not getting into the wrong place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or