U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:54 PM

2,573 posts, read 7,873,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan25 View Post
I didnt realize anyone was getting frustrated with me. Why would they? If you're getting frustrated with my questions, leave the thread. Its that simple.

I'm not asking anyone to go apartment hunting for me. I'm simply asking people what they know about certain areas and if they know of good apartments in those areas. I think it would be safe to assume that if they live there, they probably know the best places to live. It seems pretty simple to me.

I do appreciate the info i've been given, but excuse me for using this forum as it was intended.
i did become frustrated with you, eventually.

here's why: i could see that you were on the wrong track as far as commute to USC was concerned. when i asked what, specifically, you were seeking, your response led me to believe that you were a young professional, with a well-paying job (if you can afford the palazzo), and adult responsibilities. i thought you wanted a safe neighborhood, with a decent commute to work, and a few nearby places to hang out with other similarly-situated young people. hence, i suggested culver city, miracle mile, and larchmont. however, as the thread progressed, it appeared that living in party-central and having "fun" were higher on your priority list than you originally suggested. you seemed more enthusiastic about the posts telling you the best places to pick up hotties, than my own sincere effort to help you find someplace to live where you could have a decent quality of life. so, yeah, it became frustrating, and i did exactly as you suggested, and stopped answering your posts.

hey, i figured that someone who has to perform a job with at least a moderate degree of responsibility at a major university five days a week isn't looking to live on the sunset strip so he can do the clubs every night. shows to go you what i know about the young male mind! no hard feelings, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:30 PM

48 posts, read 176,690 times
No, I dont want to go to the club every night or even every other night. But I also dont want to be stuck in an area without much to do. By the way everyone talks about traffic, it sounds like one must live within a block or two of decent areas or they will be spending more time in the car than anywhere else. I have never lived in a high density/high population area so it's a foreign concept to me that I cannot simply have a quick drive to work while living 10 miles out. However, I am OK with having a 30-45 minute commute each way. I apologize if you feel like I wasted your time, but every post has been will continue to be an invaluable resource as I narrow down my search.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
No, I dont want to go to the club every night or even every other night. But I also dont want to be stuck in an area without much to do. By the way everyone talks about traffic, it sounds like one must live within a block or two of decent areas or they will be spending more time in the car than anywhere else. I have never lived in a high density/high population area so it's a foreign concept to me that I cannot simply have a quick drive to work while living 10 miles out. However, I am OK with having a 30-45 minute commute each way. I apologize if you feel like I wasted your time, but every post has been will continue to be an invaluable resource as I narrow down my search.
now you're catching on. ten miles on a map can be an hour's drive at the wrong time of day. try to envision city streets that look like the schuylkill expressway at rush hour. now mutiply by 10. that's LA traffic! hence, my previous emphasis on trying to find you a more sane commute.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:47 PM

damn. I should have gotten a job at UCLA! LOL

Old 05-21-2008, 08:51 PM

So does the traffic ever really slow down or is it consistent throughout the day and night?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:10 PM

18,041 posts, read 19,730,527 times
Let's make things a little easier for you Dan25 for your move to LA

1) Get a car - most people in LA do not use public transportation
2) Since "attractive women" are high on your priority list....you will definitely need a car!
3) If you are working at USC but want to live in a community that is young and fun...you will need to commute like the rest of us do(when in Rome...)
4) My suggestions for areas for you are: Santa Monica, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, West Hollywood
5) More areas that are closer in but mixed as far as single and family neighborhoods: Miracle Mile, Larchmont Village, Brentwood, Studio City, Pasadena
6) Try to find a place that will let you have a six month lease just in case you get here and decide that you prefer a different area

Hope that helps!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:11 PM

10am to 3-4pm, and again after 9pm are the best times of day to go somewhere. of course, that's not when most people have somewhere to go.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Let's make things a little easier for you Dan25 for your move to LA

1) Get a car - most people in LA do not use public transportation
2) Since "attractive women" are high on your priority list....you will definitely need a car!
3) If you are working at USC but want to live in a community that is young and fun...you will need to commute like the rest of us do(when in Rome...)
4) My suggestions for areas for you are: Santa Monica, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, West Hollywood
5) More areas that are closer in but mixed as far as single and family neighborhoods: Miracle Mile, Larchmont Village, Brentwood, Studio City, Pasadena
6) Try to find a place that will let you have a six month lease just in case you get here and decide that you prefer a different area

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the tips! If it takes 30-60 mins to get to USC from WeHo, I bet it takes 3 hours to get there from Hermosa. I would love to live close to the beach but that just seems out of my reach.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:59 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,102,002 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tips! If it takes 30-60 mins to get to USC from WeHo, I bet it takes 3 hours to get there from Hermosa. I would love to live close to the beach but that just seems out of my reach.
Good to hear your looking to live life and have fun.. Alot of good looking girls in the more affordable areas east of beverly hills. Keep that in mind. Beach communities will take way to long to commute.

If I were unable to scout the area before moving, I would do a search on craigslist for corporate, short term housing and move into a 3 month lease. Get your bearings, and take a good amount of time to find the best location for you. Sight unseen is pretty risky when signing over a year of your life.

Best to go for very short term and make an informed decision. You can also determine your tollerance for the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or