Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,313 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! This is a great board. I hope I can get some good advice. I will be working in the Culver City area and am deciding on a place to live. My budget will be very modest - at most $1300 for rent. Even that would be a lot for me right now. I'd be more comfortable paying less since my salary won't be huge.

I'm a single female who will be living alone, and I know Pasadena is considered a very safe and more affordable area with a nice atmosphere. However, the commute to Culver City will be tough. I also know Palms is a more affordable area of LA but perhaps not as safe and it definitely does not have the nice atmosphere that Pasadena does. However, it's just minutes from Culver City.

I'd like a decent place, with gated access if possible, plus parking. I guess my question is, considering my modest budget, safety concerns, commute distance, etc., where would I get the most bang for my buck? I'm willing to look long and hard for the best possible place on my budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 07:27 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,491,742 times
I love Pasadena but for the sake of you commute I vote for the Palms/Mar Vista/Culver City/Playa Vista area...save yourself the headache.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:29 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,523,745 times
If you move to Palms, please make sure you get secured parking. I knew someone whose car was stolen from there. It was a long time ago, but I'm not so sure the situation has improved much.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,777 times
Smile hi

hi friend

since you are working in Culver city, i don't think it is a good idea living in Pasadena, there are lots of good areas u can look within palms and Culver city

As per your budget, if you would share u can get good company and enjoy your time with new friends.

you can look for Victoria Decasda apartments close to
Albertson and traders joe.

so u can contact them.

good luck
friendly
raj9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieCat View Post
Hi everyone! This is a great board. I hope I can get some good advice. I will be working in the Culver City area and am deciding on a place to live. My budget will be very modest - at most $1300 for rent. Even that would be a lot for me right now. I'd be more comfortable paying less since my salary won't be huge.

I'm a single female who will be living alone, and I know Pasadena is considered a very safe and more affordable area with a nice atmosphere. However, the commute to Culver City will be tough. I also know Palms is a more affordable area of LA but perhaps not as safe and it definitely does not have the nice atmosphere that Pasadena does. However, it's just minutes from Culver City.

I'd like a decent place, with gated access if possible, plus parking. I guess my question is, considering my modest budget, safety concerns, commute distance, etc., where would I get the most bang for my buck? I'm willing to look long and hard for the best possible place on my budget.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,313 times
Thanks for the replies! I figured it would be best to stick to the areas around Culver City, but the atmosphere in Pasadena plus the price seems so tempting. So, if I were to look in Palms, Mar Vista and Culver City, are there areas should I avoid? I've seen some buildings along National, right along the south side of the 10 freeway. Is that a safe area?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:51 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,152,040 times
Palms is pretty homogenous throughout, you should have no specific problems in one part of Palms that you wouldn't have in another. There are tons of building in that area as well between Venice Blvd, the 405 freeway, and the 10 freeway. on the west side of the 405 is mar vista. you're probably best off staying around venice blvd in this area as well. heading south from there, especially south of washington, you get into lower income, mostly latin neighborhoods. Not that there are bad places, but if you don't speak spanish or look latin, you probably won't fit in very well. there's also some project housing down that way that you'll certainly want to avoid. culver city also has some nice areas and is starting to become a happening place.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:26 PM

10 posts, read 37,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieCat View Post
Thanks for the replies! I figured it would be best to stick to the areas around Culver City, but the atmosphere in Pasadena plus the price seems so tempting. So, if I were to look in Palms, Mar Vista and Culver City, are there areas should I avoid? I've seen some buildings along National, right along the south side of the 10 freeway. Is that a safe area?
You shouldn't have a problem with any specific neighborhood in those places, they are pretty much just bedroom communities. Some areas are a lot more densely packed though and therefore less appealing. Googlemaps has images of that entire area though at a street level.

Pasadena would take an hour to commute to and from in traffic. I love it but traffic would be terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles