U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:20 PM

15,736 posts, read 26,305,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I'm not sure how easy or cheap the construction of this line really is. I see this construction every single day and it doesn't look like any progress has been made since almost a year ago when I first came out to LA to visit USC. It seems like every day it's flat bed trucks humming back and forth and big trackers digging up dirt and putting it back. Then again, I'm no construction manager so I don't know what's really going on, but I wouldn't be surprised if this construction is an extremely inefficient waste of money. I drive down Exposition Blvd all the time and I sure wouldn't want to be stuck there. To be fair, Rodeo Rd (after it veers off from Exposition), just a little bit south of the future line is actually pleasant looking (but I still don't feel safe there), but Jefferson Blvd, just a few blocks north is just plain ghetto. Good or bad, it won't matter for me, because I'll have long graduated and moved on by the time this project is even finished.
well I was speaking in relative terms, most public works projects take too long to build and tend to go over budget which is somewhat expected unfortunately. just wait till they start the subway to the sea, that will take even longer and probably cause more headaches during construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:51 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,104,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
The Transit Coalition has a great Expo Line discussion group @ The Transit Coalition - Metro Exposition Light Rail Transit Project - Mid City and Westside Phases.

There is also strong support for the line within Cheviot Hills, long thought to be a bastion of anti-Expo ROW sentiment. These people have a website as well:

Light Rail for Cheviot

Thanks for those links, Some of the designs are very inspiring. I want to try and go to the next public meeting.

I wonder what will happen at the Sepulveda, Sawtelle, Pico Intersections. They are all major arteries and very close to eachother. I cant see a grade level train at that stretch of line and they will most likely have to go above ground.

With that scenario, what happens to the businesses next to or near this route? I know the leased structures on easement land are vacated, but there are some restaurants, such as that steakhouse, billingsley's or the San Francisco Saloon, and many other bldgs etc that are within 20-30 feet of the old rail line. Do they get bought out or is construction limited to the easement? Can they really continue with an overhead rail being constructed? How did phase one deal with this or did they have those issues?

Old 01-22-2009, 06:05 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,966,445 times
I honestly haven't been following up since the initial community meetings, but there is a woman named Karen Leonard with Light Rail for Cheviot who can answer those questions. Should be a link to her from the site.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:13 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,104,666 times
I signed up for that site and will check it out. Thanks again for the link. I've been pretty much in the dark about the progress. I cant say I am for that particular line as I think SM Blvd would be a better option through Century City, West LA and to SM.

The 405 overpass may be too low to elevate a light rail line. That means they may need to go below grade which is going to create a huge mess down there. Especially since the main concrete supports for the 405 frwy are right on the rail path. This will interesting to watch develop.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:38 PM

126 posts, read 334,670 times
You got that right! Just another example of short sighted thinking. I see these people discussing how logical it was to choose Expositon because it was cheaper. I guess they didn't spend any time discussing how the extra cost of building in a business district would attract more riders, more affuluent people and create revenue for the businesses along the route as well as for the city. The revenues would have paid for the extra cost threefold in the first 2 years of operation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles