Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 01:13 AM

258 posts, read 1,505,099 times

Advertisements

I know this question comes up all of the time and if somebody asked me it I would simply tell them to visit first. And I am going to try and do that but I might not have a chance before I have to move. I will be moving from St. Louis Missouri, I am 25 years old and a film grad. I don't have a job lined up which is why I am looking for help. I've been out to California before but its just been so long ago. The places I am trying to decide between are: Malibu/Topanga , Hermosa/Manhattan , Huntington Beach/Aliso Viejo , or Pacific Beach/San Diego I am a laid back person originally from a small town which means I'd prefer not to put up with the city traffic but I know thats where a lot of jobs are. I'm basically looking for a place with warm weather, nice people, low crime, outdoor recreation(love to surf and play basketball). I know every place probably has that so I need some local ca advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 06:50 AM

989 posts, read 5,925,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california??? View Post
I know this question comes up all of the time and if somebody asked me it I would simply tell them to visit first. And I am going to try and do that but I might not have a chance before I have to move. I will be moving from St. Louis Missouri, I am 25 years old and a film grad. I don't have a job lined up which is why I am looking for help. I've been out to California before but its just been so long ago. The places I am trying to decide between are: Malibu/Topanga , Hermosa/Manhattan , Huntington Beach/Aliso Viejo , or Pacific Beach/San Diego I am a laid back person originally from a small town which means I'd prefer not to put up with the city traffic but I know thats where a lot of jobs are. I'm basically looking for a place with warm weather, nice people, low crime, outdoor recreation(love to surf and play basketball). I know every place probably has that so I need some local ca advice.

There aren't too many 25 year olds hanging out/living in the general Malibu/Topanga area. That's simply because the rental market is small, and expensive. It's mostly a town of wealthy film stars. The youngs guys out in the water are typically from the LA/Santa Monica/Venice Area.

Pacific Beach in San Diego is a bit too rowdy for me. For a safer place-focus on Huntington Beach, Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach. (I have lived in all three of these cities.) The people are VERY friendly in all three. In comparison, I'd say Huntington Beach is the safest, cleanest, has the least congestion, and has the best surf. That's where I'd choose. Manhattan/Hermosa might have access to more things to do, but the traffic will be horrible.

Main St. in Huntington Beach is a lively place, by day, with restaurants, shops and chill surfer hangouts. By night, it is transformed into a socialization scene with many bars and twenty-somethings. Costa Mesa also has a big bar/club scene. You have access to first class shopping, some of the world's best beaches, and some of the country's hottest females! Good luck man! You can also PM me if you have any further questions.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:04 AM

I would certainly search Irvine for jobs in Orange County. There are three jobs for every resident. The economy is booming and I doubt you will have trouble finding a job in this area.(I, myself, have several job offers there) The mortgage industry is an area to look in. There are many great paying Loan Officer positions availiable for twenty-somethings with no experience in the OC. I have also read that many of these people are making six figure salaries after just three years in the job. (I assume because of high housing costs, and a hot market.)

Old 01-04-2007, 07:52 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,247 times
[QUOTE= country's hottest females! QUOTE

How do you gage this one?

Old 01-04-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post

How do you gage this one?
Are you seriously asking me this? Southern California has most unattractive and ugly people that I've ever seen!..(lol, i can't even type that without laughing) Please go take trip, and come back to gorgeous Manhattan Beach and tell me that people are unattractive.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:48 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
[quote=dusesean1986;248564][quote= country's hottest females! QUOTE

How do you gage this one?[/QUOTE]
I believe if he was talking about Costa Mesa/OC, I would venture a guess that he gauges beauty the same way as most in OC - according to the pounds of plastic that are injected into their foreheads, cheeks, lips, boobs, butts, et al. I don't go down to OC too much these days because I get grossed out by all the Barbie-clone faces with no trace of humanoid features left. Still don't understand why women would not only voluntarily insert foreign objects into their bodies causing irreparable disfigurement and irreversible damage, but actually pay good money to do so.

I mean, come on fellas, weren't all the women on Bravo's OC housewives series HOT STUFF? <----- note dripping sarcasm....

Old 01-04-2007, 11:11 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Are you seriously asking me this? Southern California has most unattractive and ugly people that I've ever seen!..(lol, i can't even type that without laughing) Please go take trip, and come back to gorgeous Manhattan Beach and tell me that people are unattractive.
The Country's Hottest Females is purely the eye of the beholder.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:00 PM

258 posts, read 1,505,099 times
Thanks for the help Newportbeachsmostwanted

I think its narrowed down to Huntington and PB

Old 01-05-2007, 03:18 PM

14 posts, read 54,525 times
Huntington Beach is not all that great. Other than Main St. the city is ugly. Also, you mentioned you were a film grad; not much use for that in H.B. unless you are doing a documentary on drinking.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:22 AM

317 posts, read 1,758,585 times
Default Huntington/Manhattan/Newport

I live in NJ now and I am thinking about moving out to California. I have visited San Diego a few times in the past year and really enjoyed the weather, environment, look, beaches, and job possiblities. I am a financial advisor at one of the big brokerage firms and one requirement for me would be to live/work in an area where there is wealth and ability to meet new people to invest with my firm and me. I was thinking about moving to San Diego for quite some time and I liked the atmosphere and more laid back approach. However, being from NJ it felt a bit too laid back and I am scared my assertiveness and "go get em attitude" might be overbearing for people of SD. How are the above area of LA that I mentioned compared to SD?

A few things about my desires in a place to live and work"
*Weather
*Nightlife- Bars, Restaurants, Lounges
*Beaches
*Job Opportunity (booming market, affluent residents, city)
*Golf courses
*Friendly people
*A place where I can live and not be in the hussle bustle but be very close to a city and in the action
*Hot women haha

I have read a few posts that the females in OC are barbie dolls... this doesn't necessarily attract me. Coming from NJ/NYC area, 80% of the women out here are gorgeous dark haired brunettes, tan, and italian. How is that compared to CA? My assumptions tell me it is primarily blonde hair, implants, light eyes... am I accurate?

Thanks for all your feedback : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles