U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 12,467 times

Advertisements

Greetings from Portland, Oregon.

I'm in the process of looking for new position in education. I am a single professional female (early 40s) and have been invited for an interview in Santa Monica next week. I've lived most of my life in the Pacific Northwest - Portland for the past 8 years. I really like the laid back lifestyle here and am wondering what life will be like there. One of the possible perks is over a substantial increase in pay and a great job opportunity. When I think of So. California - I'd want to move to a place that I'll enjoy my work but also lifestyle that is low-key. Let me know your thoughts. I've also applied for a lower pay position in Everett, WA and Vancouver Island. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 05:07 PM

1,754 posts, read 6,231,382 times
Comparing Washington or Oregon, your cost of living in Southern California could greatly outweigh the increase in salary. And low-key lifestyle in LA is also considerably different than the low-key lifestyle in the PNW. Your decision should, first and foremost, be based on how much you'll be able to afford for an acceptable 1BR apartment within a reasonable distance to your school.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:36 PM

17,713 posts, read 16,460,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada66 View Post
I'm in the process of looking for new position in education.
Be aware of the massive budget cuts in education going on right now in the state of California. That may or may not influence your decision, depending on which area of the field you work in.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:51 PM

4,708 posts, read 7,847,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Be aware of the massive budget cuts in education going on right now in the state of California. That may or may not influence your decision, depending on which area of the field you work in.

Somewhat OFF-TOPIC:
Any idea how many jobs in education in the Los Angeles Unified District service the (illegal) immigrant community, with courses such as beginning English, etc.? (quite a few) As the tamping down on illegals increases, the attendance in these classes is dwindling and so the viability of those teaching jobs is increasingly in doubt. Just the decreases in this part of the District could make up a good part of the teacher layoffs.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 05-23-2008 at 09:07 PM..

Old 05-24-2008, 07:46 PM

627 posts, read 2,831,282 times
Having lived previously in both Portland and Seattle for many years prior to moving to Santa Monica/Brentwood I would say the chill factor down here is possible if you live close to where you will be working in Santa Monica. I do not have to commute on the freeways or at all here and find Santa Monica totally chill, exciting, and walkable (which is critical for that NW type chill--for me anyway.) There is also a certain amount of being hidden when one wants, which also reminds me of the PNW.

If however you find you can not afford to live within 15-20 minutes driving distance to work or have to use the west side freeways to get there, interview, and move on as it could really screw with your sanity--as laid back it is not.

Vancouver Island would be lovely! Or Seattle (my favorite) is always good and make sure to check out housing in Edmonds down by the water or maybe Richmond Beach, or even down by Carkeet Park, but not Everett. You will end up hating the place if you do live in Everett. Working is fine.

You have three great options though. Just make sure in Seattle and Santa Monica to do your research on housing first as in both situations, it has the power to really impact your overall experience. Of course the people you interview with or the human resource employees can tell you alot about local housing and pros and cons as well. So they too will be great resources. Don't let anyone con you into thinking you can and will adapt to a commute lifestyle down here, as that will be exactly what you are not looking for according to your post. Trust me on this.

Good luck to you!!!! Oh by the way both Seattle and Santa Monica have a lot to offer women in our age group :-D. I am unfamiliar with Vancouver Island's options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada66 View Post
Greetings from Portland, Oregon.

I'm in the process of looking for new position in education. I am a single professional female (early 40s) and have been invited for an interview in Santa Monica next week. I've lived most of my life in the Pacific Northwest - Portland for the past 8 years. I really like the laid back lifestyle here and am wondering what life will be like there. One of the possible perks is over a substantial increase in pay and a great job opportunity. When I think of So. California - I'd want to move to a place that I'll enjoy my work but also lifestyle that is low-key. Let me know your thoughts. I've also applied for a lower pay position in Everett, WA and Vancouver Island. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or