Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 11:52 PM

6 posts, read 77,729 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I had a question and I thought I would post it to the board. My father is looking to move from the East Coast to Southern California and he wants to buy a luxury home in a premier neighborhood, with a sense of character, community, and family values. But he does not want to live within the city limits of Los Angeles (does not want LA city school district, or LA city services). He's looking in the upper price points. I just moved to Southern California a year ago, so I may not know as much as some of you about neighborhoods out here.

He is thinking about the city of Beverly Hills, primarily in the flat area between Santa Monica Blvd. and Sunset Blvd. (I actually found out that a lot of the area north of Sunset Blvd. which is still called "Beverly Hills, 90210" is really part of the city of LA).

The main problem is that he wants a brand new home. This seems to be difficult because Beverly Hills is completely built-out. So, he would have to probably buy an older property and demolish it to build anew. But in that case, it would take at least about $4 million alone to find a "teardown" property.

Does anyone know more about the city of Beverly Hills? I have heard that the school district is very good.......how is the community feel and how is the diversity? I have heard that Beverly Hills is more politically liberal, and has a large Jewish and Iranian population.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other cities/locations that are comparable to Beverly Hills? Here are a few that I know of --

- Calabasas/ Hidden Hills (a lot of new construction, lack of diversity?)
- San Marino (very little new construction allowed, large Asian population)
- Rancho Palos Verdes/Peninsula
- Newport Beach/ Newport Coast (a lot of new construction, lack of diversity?)

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 12:07 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,233 times
If he wants a brand new home, he better check the building codes before he does anything. Many parts of LA County have cracked down on new "Mansions" being built on properties that formerly had smaller houses.

All the areas you mentioned are nice. The mansions in San Marino are absolutely *to die for* -- just gorgeous homes. I don't know why anyone would want to tear one down and put in a new one. Beverly Hills does have a large Jewish and Iranian population.

There are other areas you might look at too. The area of Pasadena right around the Rose Bowl is extremely high end. Malibu is high end. The gated communities out towards Calabasas, Hidden Hills, etc. have a lot of entertainment people living in them. La Crescenta and La Canada also have many high end homes. There are some beautiful new high end homes in the hills above Burbank too.

There's a lot of places to pick from around here. How much did he want to spend? Even teardowns in inexpensive areas are expensive!

Old 12-22-2006, 01:17 AM

202 posts, read 833,734 times
Topanga might a thought. There are a bunch of lots for sale to build big beautiful homes with views.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:15 AM

107 posts, read 720,914 times
Beverly Hills, zero problem in demolition and re-build: it's still Ground Zero of tear-down and McMansions despite some newer law-tweaking.

San Marino, your father would be looking in the wrong place to tear down. San Marino believes that interesting, historical archetecture (such as one can have in newer So. Cal) equates with the "character" of a neighborhood that your father describes, and he would not get the permits for demolition of a beautiful older estate, and rightly so. For tear-downs, look for neighborhoods of new rich, not old rich. Sounds like O.C. is perfect.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:45 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,359 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAguy View Post
Hi everyone, I had a question and I thought I would post it to the board. My father is looking to move from the East Coast to Southern California and he wants to buy a luxury home in a premier neighborhood, with a sense of character, community, and family values. But he does not want to live within the city limits of Los Angeles (does not want LA city school district, or LA city services).
Many of the premier neighborhoods of Southern California are in Los Angeles actually. Residential areas in LA such as Pacfic Palisades, Santa Monica Canyon, Brentwood, Bel Air, Holmby Hills, Little Holmby (Westwood), Hancock Park, Windsor Square, etc.--all contain some of the most beautiful luxury homes in America. Before he rules out LA proper he should consult with a reputable luxury real estate agent to get better informed. Two I recommend are Hilton & Hyland and Westside Estate Agency.

http://www.hiltonhyland.com/
http://www.w-e-agency.com/index.php (broken link)

Also, the people with children who live in these areas mostly send their kids to private school, so I don't know why he would care about LAUSD.

[quote]
Quote:
(I actually found out that a lot of the area north of Sunset Blvd. which is still called "Beverly Hills, 90210" is really part of the city of LA).
This is true. However, 90210 is the most desirable and most elite zip code of Beverly Hills. Also, the most exclusive neighborhood in "Beverly Hills 90210" is Beverly Park which is technically in LA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Park

[quote]
Quote:
The main problem is that he wants a brand new home. This seems to be difficult because Beverly Hills is completely built-out. So, he would have to probably buy an older property and demolish it to build anew. But in that case, it would take at least about $4 million alone to find a "teardown" property.
There are still plenty of tear downs to be had in Beverly Hills, but buying an older home, tearing it down, and building a new one would be the more expensive course of action. Most of the newer luxury homes on the Westside are within LA city limits. Again a ruptable real esate agent can expose you to these newer communities.

[quote]
Quote:
I have heard that Beverly Hills is more politically liberal, and has a large Jewish and Iranian population.
This is true. By the way, the Iranians prefer to be called Persians.

[quote]
Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for other cities/locations that are comparable to Beverly Hills?
There is also:
Pasadena
La Canada
Santa Monica (North of Wilshire near San Vicente)
Westlake Village (North Ranch)
Sherwood Country Club (http://www.sherwoodcc.com/index.html)

And numerous others..... There are more than 250,000 millionaires in LA county, the most of any county in the United States, so there are a lot of options.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:53 AM

144 posts, read 935,531 times
For a new estate that he wants to build, try Bel Air. Secluded, yet close to all. What's nice is that you can build your house as big as you want and there are vacant lots that are on the market. I'm not sure what town Bel Air is in, but Bel Air is going to be hard to beat.

If he wants more coastal, try Palos Verdes Estates or Malibu.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:52 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,233 times
[quote=TheRealAngelion;226837]
Quote:

There are more than 250,000 millionaires in LA county, the most of any county in the United States, so there are a lot of options.
Without knowing how much this person wants to spend, it's hard to advise. $2 million won't buy that much in LA, particularly not compared to other parts of the country. If he wants to spend $6+ million, there is a much larger selection of homes. I don't know how many are "new" though... A lot of people out here like the character of the older homes.

Old 12-24-2006, 06:09 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,647 times
Hello all,

I recently found this forum and thought I'd throw my thoughts out here.

If your father is looking to buy in west los angeles he should seriously re-consider the "brand new home requirement" What is the reasoning behind this? I have seen many out of towners, who want the new home at any cost end up moving to a lower income area to satify that requirement.

Personally, Id rather live in a 40-50 year old home in a great area, fix up to my taste than live in a brand new box 20-30 miles away which is usually a semi-nice area surrounded by marginal areas.

Beverly hills, bel air, brentwood, pacific palisades, malibu and parts of santa monica are land based prices. Most anyone who wants a new home in these areas either buys an old one and tears it down. minimum is 1.2 million for the lot and probably a minimum of $300.00 sq ft to build/not re-build. Or they buy one from a developer who has already done so and pays top dollar. The 3rd alternative is to buy existing and and fix up what is there.

If your father wants brand new and beverly hills/west side. Price should not be a major factor. If it is, he may want to reconsider the brand new idea.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:15 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,660 times
Buying an old house to tear down is not an economical solution when you can buy vacent land for much cheaper. You pay for the cost of the house, the demolation permits(if you even get one) pay for someone to bulldoze it and remove the rubbish, pay for a construction permit, draw up the blueprints and pay to get them approved, pay to hire workers to build, pay for the materials(not cheap in CA!) youll end up paying much more than just buying a vacent lot or a lot with a new house already built!

I saw many vacent lots in Beverly hills under a million. One of the lots is over an acre and a half! Plenty of room for a mansion!

Old 12-24-2006, 09:41 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Buying an old house to tear down is not an economical solution when you can buy vacent land for much cheaper. You pay for the cost of the house, the demolation permits(if you even get one) pay for someone to bulldoze it and remove the rubbish, pay for a construction permit, draw up the blueprints and pay to get them approved, pay to hire workers to build, pay for the materials(not cheap in CA!) youll end up paying much more than just buying a vacent lot or a lot with a new house already built!

I saw many vacent lots in Beverly hills under a million. One of the lots is over an acre and a half! Plenty of room for a mansion!
Come on man.

There are currently 3 vacant lots in beverly hills for sale on the MLS site.
The cheapest is $ 950,000. Please direct me to a link where you saw this info.

If you have seen vacant land in beverly hills for sale, it must be 1: up by mulholland and on a cliff or steep slope 2: the southern or eastern tip probably 5 blocks outside of beverly hills. The phrase "its 2 blocks east of beverly hills" is very common.

homeowners and developers buy older home and tear them down because there is no land left in west los angeles. Malibu has plenty of land but you have to get an approval by the city and coastal commission to build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles