U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 07:17 AM

278 posts, read 1,112,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I do. Career opportunity for me in Alabama. Should get the full relo and a hefty relo incentive from my employer. Want to move to a street with more kids on it. Right now we un-lucked out with a street with no kids. Want to get to more of a conventional neighborhood, no big lots, higher kids density. Looking at a place called Hampton Cove south of Huntsville. Wife wants warmer too.

We'd be going from this (Pikes Peak in the background)

To this: (Hampton Cove)

As nice as that is I could never live in boring suburbia. It's just not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 07:19 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,723,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007 View Post
As nice as that is I could never live in boring suburbia. It's just not for me.
If I didn't have four kids, I might be thinking otherwise too. You got to do what you got to do.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:22 AM

278 posts, read 1,112,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If I didn't have four kids, I might be thinking otherwise too. You got to do what you got to do.
True. Kids are the main priority. If I had kids I would probably move to a suburb outside of Boston. I respect what you did though. You made the right choice for your family which is something many people won't do because their too selfish and still want the city life.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:27 AM

35 posts, read 124,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007 View Post
True. Kids are the main priority. If I had kids I would probably move to a suburb outside of Boston. I respect what you did though. You made the right choice for your family which is something many people won't do because their too selfish and still want the city life.
Only in the South do you see swimming pools that nice looking!

Old 05-26-2008, 03:23 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,214,699 times
Ive lived in southern california all my life, and barely even remember the big ones.
earthquakes shouldn't be that big of an issue. If over 30,000,000 people live in california without worrying about them, you shouldn't either.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:01 AM

1,345 posts, read 3,838,411 times
Like other's have mentioned, weather in other states is a lot worse. Last month near Milwaukee we had an earthquake and a tornado in the same week. I think we are technically outside tornado alley, but still get a lot. They thunderstorms are terrible and happen all of the time.

One thing most people wouldn't think of is the snowstorms. If it were to snow in most places of the country, school's and businesses close after an inch or two of snow. Here it takes a good 8-10 inches. We had a day with over 18 inches this year. When I'm working at the fire house on days like this, we literally can't sit down. Every time we get back from one call, we get toned out for another car accident. Depending on the car and the tires, you sometimes can't get it over 20 mph without losing control.

I'd take the possible risk of an earthquake over having all of those things any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles