Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:49 AM

11 posts, read 31,819 times

Advertisements

What areas would be good to live nearby Van Nuys Airport? Preferrably a short commute, safe, renting a townhouse for $2000 or less. Is there any public transportation to Van Nuys Airport from nearby communities? We live in SF area right now, so we don't know San Fernando Valley at all. Thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 12:06 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awakentransform View Post
What areas would be good to live nearby Van Nuys Airport? Preferrably a short commute, safe, renting a townhouse for $2000 or less. Is there any public transportation to Van Nuys Airport from nearby communities? We live in SF area right now, so we don't know San Fernando Valley at all. Thanks~

That area was nice about 30 years ago. It's pretty much a pit now

Old 05-24-2008, 12:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
What areas would be good to live nearby Van Nuys Airport?
In a rough guess of commute time and/or distance:

Granada Hills
Porter Ranch
West Hills
Woodland Hills
Encino
Tarzana
Simi Valley
Santa Clarita
Moorpark

Some semi-inconvenient, slow buses from the SF Valley towns above to VNY. Check metrolink to VNY from Simi, Moorpark, and Burbank.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:30 PM

Thanks Charles. Do any of the areas you mentioned have a nature-feel, like lots of parks or greenways, etc?

Old 05-24-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks Charles. Do any of the areas you mentioned have a nature-feel, like lots of parks or greenways, etc?
Most are suburban communities with nature set parks on the outskirts. Each town has advantages depending probably on your demographic: kids? single? schools important? clubs important? medical facilities close by important? etc.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:04 PM

We are a couple, but no kids. No longer into the club scene. Good health. Vegetarians. Spiritual but not religious. I am a hypnotherapist and Reiki practitioner, so perhaps somewhere that would be good for my practice also. We like hiking and the beach. We sound like stereotypical Californians, right?

Old 05-24-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
We are a couple, but no kids. No longer into the club scene. Good health. Vegetarians. Spiritual but not religious. I am a hypnotherapist and Reiki practitioner, so perhaps somewhere that would be good for my practice also. We like hiking and the beach. We sound like stereotypical Californians, right?
Topanga
Twin Lakes (the community north of Canoga Avenue and the 118)
Box Canyon
Ojai (kind of far)
Meiners Oaks (kind of far)

Meiners Oaks, and Ojai Valley Neighborhood

Twin Lakes Property Owners Association

Topanga Historical Society

Incredible Box Canyon, prairie house-like property presents views, equine opportunities as spacious retreat from the world. : Real Estate News : Ventura County Star

Old 05-24-2008, 01:30 PM

Wow, you know the area well. Thanks for all your help!

Old 05-24-2008, 02:31 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
What areas would be good to live nearby Van Nuys Airport?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That area was nice about 30 years ago. It's pretty much a pit now
That's just so wrong. Van Nuys west of the airport bounded by Roscoe on the north, Victory on the south, and perhaps out to White Oak on the west or farther, is a nice, quiet affordable area. I live in that area myself. Here's what I said about it in another post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Try Van Nuys west of the 405 Freeway (Victory Blvd. to Roscoe Blvd., out to White Oak on the west, or even into Reseda.). That's all about 1950 construction 2-3 BR homes in a nice, quiet safe, neighborhood. I myself live nearby that area. By the way, you'll just *LOVE* Lake Balboa in nearby Anthony C. Beilenson Park. It's an artificial lake with lawns, trees, picnic areas and bike paths. If you move to the area I linked above you'll be within easy bicycle range, or maybe even within walking range. It's a perfect place to walk, bike or just pass a lazy afternoon watching the pedal boats, picnickers, joggers and bike riders.
You may be all stuck up or something or perhaps you have $1M to spend on a house, but unless you're rich this part of Van Nuys is worth looking at.

Also worth looking at is the townhouses just west of the 405 Freeway on the north side of Rinaldi. Perhaps some of them are available for rent. I had a friend who just sold his townhouse there last year, and it was nice and even had a modest view. (That damned begger sold it and timed the market perfectly! Durn him! )

Old 05-24-2008, 08:26 PM

396 posts, read 1,724,076 times
better learn spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles