U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,137 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have been an investor in Lawndale for at least 7 years. Due to a recent divorce, I actually moved into my rental in Lawndale. I bought into this area because I consider it the next "venice" california. that is, it is an area near or at the beach with a lot of undervalued real estate. the schools, not the greatest, they are safe and Lawndale has a lot of schools and parks for its very very small size. Lawndale is next to some of the best shopping areas in all of LA county since it is next to Manhattan Beach and REdondo Beach, which home values are literally DOUBLE the price of lawndale, even if you cross the street to get to these neighborhoods from Lawndale. You are leaving Santa Clarita. SC is very white, anglo, saxon, protestant and republican. You will NOT find that in Lawndale. What you will find in Lawndale is a possibility to purchase a home in the near future, with clean air in an upandcoming area. I live here now. I feel safe. I never have to put on my a/c or heater. I hardly water the lawn since the temperatures are temperate. THink about it. PJG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 06:34 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,433,981 times
I will put it to you this way: a company I used to work four had its Lawndale store robbed at gunpoint four times in three years (along with the usual shoplifting issues). That provoked company management to just cut its losses and close it.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:33 PM

395 posts, read 1,422,543 times
I second the recommendation for El Segundo - nice safe community with its own school district, good freeway access and a cute walkable Main Street downtown area with restaurants and shops. The only downside is there is a waste treatment plant near the ocean that you will occasionally notice if you happen to live in the wind path...

Old 11-20-2009, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,890 times
Born and raised in Lawndale, I find it to be a very good place! Copared to other places, its pretty good. Ive never seen anything really bad happen and our schools are pretty good. Lawndale High hasnt been open for a very long time and it is now distinguished. It has improved dramatically and is getting fixed but its tough with all the budget cuts. These people exaggerate things but its actually a really nice place to live!

Old 11-21-2009, 03:00 AM

4,261 posts, read 9,008,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASingleMom View Post
Hi,

Is Lawndale a safe neighborhood for kids, specifically on Kingsdale Avenue near Rosecrans? I am considering leasing a home there for myself & my son; but have heard mixed reviews about safety and school quality. Presently, I live in the Santa Clarita valley and commute daily to downtown Los Angeles, and am struggling to find a decent home that is $2K or under in a safe neighborhood within a reasonable commute of downtown. It is shocking how expensive all the rentals seem to be; even in neighborhoods that are clearly crime & gang ridden. Can anyone recommend a safe, clean, quiet family oriented neighorhood within a reasonable commute of downtown LA; that doesn't have graffiti and bums everywhere? It is unbelievably difficult to find a decent neighborhood that is not ridiculously expensive. I have literally been driving all over LA for weeks, viewing scores of potential homes, and each one is both expensive and in a sketchy neighborhood with poor quality school ratings. I am sick of the 2 hour commutes each way from Santa Clarita, and desperately need my life back.

Thanks!!
Is there something you don't like about Burbank? Your commute to downtown would be less than from Lawndale, with the option of taking the commuter train, and I see many townhomes, and a few freestanding houses with yards starting at around $1200 a month for 2 bedroom places. Safe community, good schools.

For even more options, Valley Village and North Hollywood south of Burbanks Bl are ok areas and there will be more rentals in your price range. North Hollywood high school has poor performance, but theres a number of reasons why its not really that bad if your kid is a motivated student(but still its not all that great either).

Old 11-05-2011, 12:05 AM

202 posts, read 339,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvkev View Post
That's not a great area... good areas do exist near downtown LA however, you will pay more for them than places like Lawndale. Places like Alhambra and Monterey Park are a short drive off the 10, Glendale and Burbank are right off the 5, South Pasadena's right off the 110, etc... stay with the established cities as some of the cities close to downtown have nice looking ghettos (east Inglewood, northwest Gardena, Carson Dominguez Hills, parts of South Central LA) and schools with good ratings are hard to come by unless you're in the middle class and up cities. If you can't afford a decent rental maybe you should consider buying?
Carson's Dominguez Hills is not ghetto. Carson is one of the most racially mixed cities in the country. The southern, less affluent part is more mixed with whites, Filipinos, Mexicans & Samoans. The norther & more affluent area is mostly black. The city is very harmonious, though. Ikea and Home Depot Center bring in lots of others weekly, so there is no real sense of anyone being a minority or majority in terms of race, income or style. The northern part of Carson is on a gradual hill that offers nice views and breezes. It surrounds a university. The streets are wide, very clean and quiet. The northern part includes the indoor/outdoor shopping mall, golf courses, tennis courts, university. It's quite nice & even offers a gated neighborhood. Three major highways meet in Carson, so it's easy to get around. It's also one city from both south and west facing beaches. It's as close to Orange County as to the city of LA. It's a few minutes from LB airport, LAX and about 30 minutes to OC's John Wayne Airport. It's less than 1/2 hour from Downtown LA and USC. It's in a very convenient location. Although overshadowed by much larger Long Beach & Torrance, Carson is actually a large city. It doesn't have the extremes of Long Beach in terms of poverty and wealth, but the average income in Carson is a little higher than Long Beach. It's also safer than Long Beach. Part of Torrance are a bit safer. Like Long Beach, Torrance has more amenities. Even though most of Torrance consists of tiny matchbox houses, it's proximity to the beach, good schools and its amenities make it a bit pricey. Of the three cities, Torrance is the least diverse. Parts of southern Carson can be a bit dicey, but not particularly dangerous. This is not the kind of city with graffiti on the walls or folks loitering on the streets. If you like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, you'll have to go to LB or Torrance. Those stores won't line up shops in three consecutive cities & since Carson is the smallest of the lot, there are none.

sorry, but the only time that neighborhood (avalon, east to wilmington; university, south to del amo) is "rough" is on july 4th when the neighbors try to out-do one another's fireworks or when the refinery explodes. my mother lives there, and her neighbors are mostly people like herself: a retired teacher who has lived in the neighborhood forever, and takes a great deal of pride in it. they are organized and active participants in their community's affairs, and the sheriff's department in that area is very responsive to their needs. the only thing wrong with that part of carson is its dearth of decent restaurants (and the occasional stink from the refinery!).

it's even home to one of only four IKEA stores in all southern california, and david beckham's place of employment. what more could you want?

Last edited by kittycat40; 11-05-2011 at 12:32 AM..

Old 11-05-2011, 07:10 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,692,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neenee99 View Post
i wish i had an answer for why lawndale can't escape it's reputation. it's location is certainly not bad, being between manhattan beach, redondo and torrance. however, i think their local government is terrible and there are so many renters in lawndale that they don't have a strong homeowner base. maybe that's one of the reasons.
Lawndale was a victim of the collapse of the defense industry.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,933 times
Smile Is Lawndale a safe neighborhood for families?

Hello! I hope to someday welcome you to the South Bay secret of Lawndale. I have resided here 65 years and I love it! I have visited many places but Lawndale is my home! It's very safe, excluding one or two crazies east of Hawthorne Blvd. The area of which you speak is very reasonable and safe. The schools have wonderful teachers and I highly reccommend Lawndale High School. New buildings are going up as I speak! Just drive by any of the schools or visit to satisfy your curiosity. You will find I know what I'm talking about. Crime rate is lower in Lawndale than neighboring cities. Ask people who live there how it is, not people in Texas. The one problem I see is parking availability. Thank you!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:53 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,701,631 times
Lawndale school performance:

California School Performance Maps

Old 09-30-2014, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,950 times
I have a house in Manhattan Beach and one in Lawndale. Manhattan Bch is predominantly white and Lawndale Latino. Like all, there are better pockets than others. There is no life East of Sepulveda and
There are areas of Lawndale that are not that good. For schools you obviously can't beat MBch. But..
You don't have to live there to go to school there...not too long ago over half the kids there did not live in MBch. Some got interdistrict transfers from as far away as Paciific Palisades and Pasadena and
Of course since Hermosa Bch does not have a High School MBch is an option. North Redondo is right across the street ! Not to be phylisophical but good schools do not in itself make good kids. It is the nannies from Lawndale that raise the kids and the gardeners that mow the Lawns and trades people that fix things in Manhattan Beach. We trust them with our homes yet we don't want to live where they live....what a conundrum. Lawndale has a hard working City Council that rivals MBch...and I know the current mayor of MBch cause I'm proud to say I helped get him elected to the City council some time back. Lawndale has the newest High School with state of the art auditorium ..MBch drama
and the arts can only dream of one like this. The old Redondo Community theatre will probably move in once parking has been built. Newest Library in the South Bay ....do we remember what that is..
The newest modern community center in the southbay. I live next to the Billy Mitchell school. Kids have preschool and decent lunches. Jane Adams middle school have great teachers that live in Redondo, Hermosa Beach etc... So the story could go on and on ...but if you did not buy in Manhattan Beach a long time ago ....good luck finding a rental for $5k per month... If you got to make ends meet
You can get a decent place for $2k per month in Lawndale. I like Lawndale cause it is a little warmer
Than Manhattan Beach, I can go down the street and get authentic mole, cocido, menudo, pozole, tamales. Etc. If I want to see Manhattan Beachites without driving a couple of miles I go a block to Home Depot, Best Buy, Walmart ...etc. I say go where you can afford...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles