U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 09:31 AM

330 posts, read 1,220,828 times

Advertisements

or even Highland Park. Use LAUSD choices to get your child into a higher performing magnet or SAS program. Putting your kids in a magnet, charter or SAS program will allow you to live anywhere. My kids have gone to Los Feliz Charter School for the Arts, Thomas Starr King Middle, Eagle Rock HS and Marshall SAS, all in NE LA and are some of the higher-performing schools in LAUSD.

Glendale and Highland Park have decent rent prices, but yes, they have been going up. There was a 2/1 duplex for rent on my street for $1800, but they had to lower it to $1725 (listing was on Craigslist) so not all landlords can get the greedy prices they desire.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,735 times
Damm is expensive in lawndale ca and I am from dallas tx I don't see how yall put up with that.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,405 times
I grew up in Manhattan Beach and have lived in Lawndale for the last 30 years. It's come a long way, much improved, and safe. School districts have remodeled both high schools and built a new elementary school. The city has built a new modern library and a new community center. Shopping is more convenient here yet it's only 4 miles to the beach. I can walk 1 mile to the Metro Green line which is great for commuting. The weather here is a few degrees warmer than the beach and it's generally sunnier.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:19 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,813,588 times
If prices are any indicator Lawndale's been re-discovered. Probably hipsters in search of mid-century. I'd hit that!

Old 11-24-2015, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,313 times
My offer for a home in Lawndale just got accepted. Like some have suggested, there are good and bad pockets in any city, but I think Lawndale as a whole is on the rise. Its very central to everything--shopping, freeway, beach, etc. You also get the nice ocean breeze in Lawndale. The valley is almost always 10-15 degrees hotter, which makes a huge difference when temps are in the triple digits there.

Before we put in an offer for the house, we walked around the neighborhood at night, and met some of the neighbors. No one had anything bad to say about the neighborhood. There was lots of people out and about, enjoying the unusually warm late-fall night. Also, most people seemed to take care of their houses. These were great signs to us and not once did we feel unsafe.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:45 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,692,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
If prices are any indicator Lawndale's been re-discovered. Probably hipsters in search of mid-century. I'd hit that!
All the safe and somewhat reasonably priced neighborhoods close to Silicon Beach have gone into the stratosphere, and Elon Musk's next door in Hawthorne...

Old 11-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Status: "Corona Virus is here. God be with you" (set 2 days ago)

3,782 posts, read 2,854,591 times
Lawndale, Hawthorne, and Gardena have always(since I have been alive) kind of been buffer zones between affluent beach cities and the ghetto. There is a little spill over from both sides depending how far east or west you are.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:16 PM

924 posts, read 600,061 times
Just thought I would weigh in on this conversation. If you are looking for good school districts - Wiseburn has the best. New high school being built and will open in 2017 I believe. Everyone wants to get their kids into Wiseburn. Hard to find a home here though. I have seen a few for sale but many homeowners are adding on - remodeling and staying. My sister-in-law lives in Lawndale right off Marine/Hawthorne Blvd. She is looking to move. Too many gun shots - Wiseburn is a community within the Los Angeles Unincorporated. We border Inglewood Avenue- Rosecrans- El Segundo Blvd and La Cienega/405 freeway. We are next to HollyGlen and close to Manhattan Beach/ El Segundo (cities) Not many know about our community.
Be aware though - crime has shot up (burglary etc) due to Prop. 47. Wiseburn has the BEST Neighborhood Watch and we have a fantastic relationship with Sheriffs so don't mess with us! I see more and more White families moving in which is what was here years ago but majority moved out when the Aerospace went away.. We are a melting pot which I happen to like. I think there is room for all ethnic groups as LONG as you want to live in peace - raise your children - have nice homes - no junk in yards. I grew up in Torrance, CA went to West High. My husband grew up in Wiseburn... Lawndale is sketchy...I just hope people start taking pride in their homes but there is more poverty over there - more rentals.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,006 times
Lawndale is perfectly safe. It may not be the snobby, whites only environment you are used to, but any family will be perfectly safe and healthy here.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:23 PM

3 posts, read 2,153 times
There are parts of lawndale where it's safe. But one area that is safe is the down area like near the Baja California place because I have lived in that area for my whole life and nothing went wrong. For schools on the other hand you would need to stick to Redondo schools. I go to a Redondo school and it is so much safer.The best areas are the streets that start with a number like 172nd street or 173rd street or 170th street. Just stay away from the area where luezinger high school is at because that area is pretty bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles