U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 7,008 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Recently i have been thinking about major cities in the US and what they have contributed to american culture and to the rest of the world. Sadly however, when it comes to LA, i cant seem to think of anything culturally iconic other than the film industry and LA's amazing diversity. In other words, i cant seem to get past the negative things LA has, and i know there is SO much more to it.
Could you guys help me out with some fun facts and other things that have made los angeles a strong, POSITIVE contributor to
the world?
-Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 02:13 PM

7,731 posts, read 12,382,164 times
Here are a couple:

1. Los Angeles is the largest manufacturing center in the United States. The contiguous ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach together comprise the most significant port in North America. They are one of the most important ports in the world, and vital to trade within the Pacific Rim.

2. The L.A. area is also home to the U.S. headquarters of all but two of the major Asian automobile manufacturers. Further, virtually all the world's automakers have design and/or tech centers in the L.A. region.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:36 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,734,892 times
I started this thread after I moved out of Los Angeles. I don't think people realize how big and important Southern California's role has been for defense and aerospace since before WWII.

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...tal-world.html

Jet Propulsion Lab

World Class medical & research facilities including the Grossman Burn Center and the House Ear Institute (I almost went there for special ear surgery; I have horrible surfers ear called exostosis). Everytime some poor kid has something bad happen to him somewhere in the world, like separating Siamese twins or that little Iraqi kid who some f***heads lit on fire, where do they come to? Southern California.

Two Olympics (and 1984 was a money maker); Three if you count Lake Tahoe 1960 Winter Olympics in Northern California.

Here's a fun City Data thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...and-socal.html

Last edited by Charles; 05-25-2008 at 02:46 PM..

Old 05-25-2008, 02:55 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,452,401 times
UCLA Medical Center is one of the most respected and important hospitals in the world. The UCLA Geffen School of Medicine is also one of the top medical schools in the USA.

Los Angeles International Airport is by far the number one airport in the USA for flights to Asia and the South Pacific, in addition to being the fifth busiest airport in the world, offering nonstop flights to every continent except Africa, while being a hub for United Airlines and a major focus city for Southwest Airlines and American Airlines.

Some cuisine Los Angeles has given the world: The Cobb Salad, invented in the Brown Derby restaurant in Hollywood, the French-Dip sandwich, originated by either Cole's Pacific Electric Buffet or Phillippe's restaurant in downtown, the ice blended coffee drink by Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf and Tommy's Hamburger.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:04 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,677,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
UCLA Medical Center is one of the most respected and important hospitals in the world. The UCLA Geffen School of Medicine is also one of the top medical schools in the USA.

Los Angeles International Airport is by far the number one airport in the USA for flights to Asia and the South Pacific, in addition to being the fifth busiest airport in the world, offering nonstop flights to every continent except Africa, while being a hub for United Airlines and a major focus city for Southwest Airlines and American Airlines.

Some cuisine Los Angeles has given the world: The Cobb Salad, invented in the Brown Derby restaurant in Hollywood, the French-Dip sandwich, originated by either Cole's Pacific Electric Buffet or Phillippe's restaurant in downtown, the ice blended coffee drink by Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf and Tommy's Hamburger.
Can't forget In N Out!

Old 05-25-2008, 03:22 PM

^^^^^^
YES!!! Who cares about the airport, I'll take In N Out anyday. Bar none, it is LA's greatest gift to the world.

Southern California is also where many of the trend setting skateboard, surfing, and snowboarding clothing brands come from. Big brands like Quicksilver Group (Includes Roxy, DC, and Hawk Brands also), Volcom, Hurley International, O'Neill Clothing Division, Rainbow Sandals!, Etnies, and Oakley Sunglasses are just some of the many surf/skate/snow clothing companies based in So Cal.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Los Angeles International Airport is by far the number one....
Something about LAX and quality things in LA.....it's got to be one of the worst things about LA. I'm the cheapest guy in the world but I'll pay more to fly to BUR.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
^^^^^^
YES!!! Who cares about the airport, I'll take In N Out anyday. Bar none, it is LA's greatest gift to the world.

Southern California is also where many of the trend setting skateboard, surfing, and snowboarding clothing brands come from. Big brands like Quicksilver Group (Includes Roxy, DC, and Hawk Brands also), Volcom, Hurley International, O'Neill Clothing Division, Rainbow Sandals!, Etnies, and Oakley Sunglasses are just some of the many surf/skate/snow clothing companies based in So Cal.
Whatever happened to Hang Ten? And while we're talking clothes, the sexiest pants of the 1970s, Dittos on chicks.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 04:03 AM..

Old 05-25-2008, 03:27 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,677,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Something about LAX and quality things in LA.....it's got to be one of the worst things about LA. I'm the cheapest guy in the world but I'll pay more to fly to BUR.
Yeah pretty much everyone in OC feels the same way. We'd rather use SNA, pay more, and connect somewhere than deal with LAX.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:39 PM

Nobody likes LAX for its facilities, they suck. But there aren't many options other than San Francisco for flying to places like Sydney, Seoul, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. Orange County, Burbank, and Ontario are better for domestic flights, but if you are flying to Asia from the USA, LAX is the most important in our nation. No US airport has as many nonstop flights to as many cities in Asia as LAX, you can't take that away from LAX, no matter how poor the facilities. Good luck getting to Guangzhou from Burbank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles