U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:14 AM

7 posts, read 15,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
If you are looking to LA for the weather, but don't like a high cost of living, I would look at some other states as well. LA doesn't have a monopoly on good weather. A lot of LA folk have moved to other southwest states. We are in the process of moving to Albuquerque, New Mexico. It's an up and coming area with low unemployment, similar weather, good cost of living, and the film industry is moving there is droves. And if you have kids, I hear they qualify for a free instate college education if they finish high school in the state (do research on that). It's also moving from red to blue. Abq itself is quite blue; some rural areas are red.

Thank you PaddyMac. I do have to say that at this point in time (rainy, crappy grey weather in London) weather is my primary reason for wanting LA. My husband and I are agreed that we both want sun! The other places we are considering are Denver and Phoenix. But although both of those places have the amazing weather, they don't have the ocean, which is another main thing that we both would love if we could afford it. Obviously, Phoenix is only a 6 hour drive from the coast and Denver would be a short flight, if I could get the ideal, I would love to.

Question, though. If we were to live in Woodland Hills, Agoura Hills, or North Hollywood, how quickly could we get to the beach? REALISTICALLY on a typical day? Are the weekends hell? Do you have to pay for the beaches/parking that are close to those areas? Anything else you can tell me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 05:16 AM

7 posts, read 15,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Oh my goodness - London chewed you up and spat you out and you expect to find relief in LA? I think you need to get back to Ohio!
Hi tonrob,

Appreciate the reply, but why do you say that? Does LA relate a lot to my description of London?

Please, anyone on this post, do be honest. I want an honest picture of LA, as television and reality television do often portray it in a glorified light.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:25 AM

17 posts, read 73,435 times
I would not live in Kaleeeforneeya if ya paid me. For one thing, earthquakes. For another, smog. For another, if you want nice weather and fewer crazy people, or just crazy in a fun way as opposed to psychotic -- head SOUTH. North and South Carolina. Atlanta. Anywhere on the East Coast south of the Mason-Dixon line. Wilmington is quite charming. Okay, Californians, go ahead, rip into me. I slept on my front porch last night, and I live on Main Street in a small town in central North Carolina. Believe me, Mayberry exists. I have an American ex-pat friend in London (2, actually), and the one in particular matches your descriptions of London to the letter. You will love it here! We are very friendly and unreserved! Plus I think it's safer here, in general, 9/11 and campus shootings aside. Y'all come! KR

Old 05-28-2008, 05:36 AM

605 posts, read 2,244,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonDwellersWife View Post
Hi tonrob,

Appreciate the reply, but why do you say that? Does LA relate a lot to my description of London?

Please, anyone on this post, do be honest. I want an honest picture of LA, as television and reality television do often portray it in a glorified light.
I say that as your description of how you found life in London leads me to believe that you are not at all cut out for city life. Your perceptions of London may seem very real to you, but do not at all match my own from many years of living in London, nor of anyone else at all who I came into contact with while I was living and working there. (I am not from London originally but grew up in small town Wales, and my wife - who I met in London, is from a medium-sized German city). Like many others, we found London to be a beautiful, vibrant, safe and enjoyable city in which to live - although I accept those on very low incomes may not fare so well.

While LA life may also suit many, I think that if you let London get to you like that then many of these factors - weather aside (but factor higher pollution in its place) - will seem even more exaggerated in LA.

It would be interesting to hear the views of Americans - or Brits - who have lived successfully and happily in both cities though. Are there any on this forum?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:09 AM

5,612 posts, read 13,818,441 times
Unfortunately, most administrative type jobs don't pay $60K, there are a few but not many. There is a lot of competition for those jobs so your skills would have to be excellent. The best way to find that type of job would be CareerBuilder.com Jobs - The Largest Job Search, Employment & Careers Site or Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.com. I don't know what your husband does but I would advise one or both of you have a jobb before you get here so you know what area to move to. With the price of gas you want to live as close to home as possible.

Personally, I think you aren't doing yourself a favor by moving to LA. The way things are going, financially, you aren't going to be happier than you are now. There are other places with a much better cost of living that have good weather. Try pickyourspot.com: The Leading Real Estate Site on the Net. You might find a location closer to what you are looking for. Good Luck.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:43 AM

31 posts, read 123,126 times
I lived in England for a short time several years ago with my fiance. We loved it but were surprised by the fact that London was the first large city we'd ever encountered that we felt we wouldn't want to live in. We enjoyed our time there but found certain aspects of it quite frustrating. We much preferred Cambridge and were happy that we didn't have to live in London, just commute to there.

I've been to L.A. a handful of times and now we are moving there. From what you have described of your complaints about London, weather aside, I'm not sure you won't find some of the same issues in Los Angeles. The traffic is horrific, there is a good chance your commute may make you miserable. I'm also not sure that you will find the difference in the cost of living to be what you'd hoped it would be -- it would probably depend on your job situation and where you ended up living. But from what I've seen it seems that sometimes people lowball how expensive they think L.A. is going to be and then are unpleasantly surprised.

That all being said, L.A. is a great city, but I'm not sure it's the city for you. Honestly, my first thought when reading your list of what you were looking for was that you should consider some of the cities in the South. There are a lot of "smaller" cities down there where you would have access to all sorts of outdoor activities within a couple hours' drive, the cost of living is generally considered to be lower, and I think you would find the attitudes much more to your liking. Both Knoxville and Asheville come to mind, but there are others. The weather, while nothing like California, is still pretty mild compared to most of the rest of the country.

If your heart is set on California, I would also suggest considering San Diego. Still the great weather and not the same type of L.A. stress. Whatever you decide, good luck to you. Don't let London get you down. Someday you'll find yourself back here and talking about how much you miss it, just like we do!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:50 PM

225 posts, read 1,021,529 times
I'm from London. I love the city but I can understand why you dislike it. Fair enough.

Two of the things you mention are unquestionably better in LA: the driving experience and the weather. It is nearly always sunny here, nearly always between about 55 and 85 degrees, and nearly always fairly dry (unlike the South). The weather and the air are nicer in the hills and closer to the beaches. Prices are higher there, too.

Angelenos think they have the worst traffic and the most aggressive drivers in the world. They should really get out more. When they talk about getting stuck in a traffic jam they mean they are doing 10mph on a freeway. If you are doing 10mph anywhere in London you are doing well. Driving in London is far, far more stressful than driving in LA. The drivers are more aggressive. Drivers are aggressive just about everywhere compared to LA--try San Francisco or (please take note) Denver.

Having said that, if you take a job in Beverly Hills or Santa Monica and opt to live more than a few miles from either your commute is going to be grim.

I'm not sure some of the other things are better. Not everyone finds Londoners less friendly than Angelenos. If you mean do people smile at you in the street then, yes, LA is more friendly than London. If you mean do people regularly go out for drinks after work then no, it is not.

I would question why you want to move to a big city at all. All big cities are anonymous and pushy. Phoenix is more anonymous than its size suggests because it's such a new place. Ditto North Hollywood, by the way. Sure, LA has beaches--not amazingly nice ones. It has hiking, but not amazing hiking. If I were you I would be thinking about the central coast or northern California (not the Bay Area--north of that). Or perhaps Oregon. Jobs will be harder to come by in all 3 but the cost of living is much lower, the scenery is better, and the sun shines more than in London. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:02 PM

162 posts, read 526,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonDwellersWife View Post
Question, though. If we were to live in Woodland Hills, Agoura Hills, or North Hollywood, how quickly could we get to the beach? REALISTICALLY on a typical day? Are the weekends hell? Do you have to pay for the beaches/parking that are close to those areas? Anything else you can tell me?
From Agoura Hills you can be at the beach in 30 minutes, Woodland Hills probably more like 45, I'm guessing. North Hollywood, no clue.

Just up the 101 from Agoura Hills is the Thousand Oaks area (Conejo Valley), which also provides good access to the beach and lots of hiking opportunities in the Santa Monica Mountains. I think you would like the friendliness of the area over Los Angeles, going by your post about London. I have never been to London but your experiences there remind me a lot of how I feel about Los Angeles, so I don't know how much happier you'll be out here, other than the weather and beaches.

I don't think Angelenos are exactly "rude" but there is an attitude of sort of "isolation" for lack of a better way to describe it. Everyone in their own little world and doing their own thing and not too likely to reach outside of that to others. You'll not usually get the stare down if you say hello but after awhile you'll stop saying it yourself as you realize others are not really that open to the friendliness.

People in Phoenix are a lot nicer, not that I'm advocating you to move there, just saying, other parts of the Southwest are much more outgoing than we are out here. Although I must say I found Taos and Santa Fe to be pretty unfriendly when I visited a few years ago, but perhaps I wasn't there long enough. I have friends who moved from here to the Dallas-Ft Worth area a few years ago and they love it. I think it would give you the weather and friendliness you want but obviously no beach.

Have you thought about the South? Warm weather if you can stand the humidity, better cost of living than Southern CA and if you can't be near the beach they have lots more lakes and rivers than we do. Just a thought.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:45 PM

106 posts, read 355,401 times
Yea, check out Charleston, SC, it is quite a charming city. I have over 10 friends living there now and they all like it. You have loads of beaches, cheaper cost of living (though not much anymore).

Old 05-29-2008, 12:05 AM

397 posts, read 1,429,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithrich View Post
I would not live in Kaleeeforneeya if ya paid me. For one thing, earthquakes. For another, smog. For another, if you want nice weather and fewer crazy people, or just crazy in a fun way as opposed to psychotic -- head SOUTH. North and South Carolina. Atlanta. Anywhere on the East Coast south of the Mason-Dixon line. Wilmington is quite charming. Okay, Californians, go ahead, rip into me. I slept on my front porch last night, and I live on Main Street in a small town in central North Carolina. Believe me, Mayberry exists. I have an American ex-pat friend in London (2, actually), and the one in particular matches your descriptions of London to the letter. You will love it here! We are very friendly and unreserved! Plus I think it's safer here, in general, 9/11 and campus shootings aside. Y'all come! KR
I completely agree! Why move here? The cost of living is so high, and I think the chances of finding an admin job paying 60K are very slim (but who knows, you may be lucky). If you want to be able to enjoy life and have more room financially, look at other places on the east coast. The salaries are about the same, but the cost of living is so much less. Think about what is really important to you two - being close to the ocean in CA, or having some extra $$ in your pocket and better quality of life? I am originally from Europe, and lived in CA for 20 yrs. We are moving to the Philadelphia area due to a job transfer, and we went there over the long weekend to visit. The cost of housing is so much better, I was in total shock. I don't know why we didn't move sooner... Any way, good luck to you, and I hope you find the right place for you two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or