U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:08 PM

23 posts, read 94,105 times

Advertisements

You guys both questors and responders were great! Great posts and cuts and honest replies. I loved it hope to see ya again. Laquests aka Old Roger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 04:27 AM

3 posts, read 4,689 times
Some of these posts are a bit harsh I must say. If you are saying that 95% of English people are morons, and have only visited London, then how can you be so judgemental. Not all of us are morons, but London has got to be the town most full of them, that I can agree on. Thankfully I don't reside from there!
I'm bored of life here as well! It sucks and apart from family and friends there is nothing worth keeping me here. I am looking to get away for a bit (3-6 months) and if anyone can help me as well, that would be great.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:10 AM

14 posts, read 46,220 times
a moron
writes

so besides the weather what gives?

Old 06-05-2008, 10:04 AM

109 posts, read 363,278 times
I always give up my seat to women on the rube/the elderly. If you're intent on casting manners aside, simply ask a man if you could have his seat. Most won't be expecting that and probably do so, especially in a train full of other people.

Last edited by A Blue Window; 06-05-2008 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-05-2008, 11:06 PM

152 posts, read 289,044 times
The areas you are talking about are mostly located in the San Fernando Valley, where I currently reside. More than 50% of the people who live here are immigrants, not including the illegals, of which there are hundreds of thousands at any given time. Manners are unheard of and American culture (yes, there really is such a thing), doesn’t exist here – this ain’t Ohio.

Jobs do pay more here than the mid-west, but an Administrative Assistant usually starts at $30,000. A really good one might make $40,000, if you work in Culver City or downtown. They prefer you are under 30, although some will hire people up to 35. It normally takes 6 months to find work.
We do have public transportation and if you live in the valley you can use it to get downtown, but not Culver City. From North Hollywood you can take a train and the commute is about 30 minutes for the train. To get to the station can also be 30 minutes. You have to drive; there is no housing within walking distance of the only train station. You could take a bus, if you live near a line, but they run every hour, even during rush hour. Our system is new, but not state of the art like London. Woodland Hills and Agora Hills have only buses, no trains.
As for WeHo (West Hollywood), it is a city by, for, and of gays. It was especially created as a protective community for gays and lesbians and a great place to live, if you are of that persuasion. It is also a wonderful place to visit, but most straight people don’t want to live there. It is also notoriously expensive. Many of my gay friends can no longer afford to live there.

Traffic – the problem here is not congestion, it is the manner in which people drive. Cops never ticket anyone and so people pretty much do as they please. They speed, weave in and out, push there way in front of you in a lane. Driving here, on surface roads or freeways, means taking your life in your hands everyday. Everything here is based on the car. There are more cars here than people. You can get a ticket in Beverly Hills for having an old car or a dirty car. They don’t care if you cut off someone, speed, or run a stop light (known as a California stop), they care about appearance. Your car must look good. Car washes are big business here. Oh, and the price of gas was $4.37 this morning. I have driven all over this country. The only place that compares in traffic is downtown Boston, which is usually compared to central Rome.

Weather - Although I’ve only visited London, I spent many years living in Oregon, where they have a similar climate. Yes, we have very little rain here, but that is because it is a desert. My hands aged 10 years my first year here. We drink a lot of water, eat a lot more salt, and use a lot of lotion and oils to survive. When we do get rain, everyone forgets how to drive in it; accidents triple or quadruple, depending upon the extent of the rain.

Rents are high throughout the valley. Woodland Hills is probably the cheapest with a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom for 1200 to 1500. North Hollywood is a little higher at about 1400 to 1800 and WeHo is more like 1800 to 2200.

Beaches – From the valley it is about 45 minutes to an hour, in no traffic. If you go on the weekends, leave before 9am and don’t plan to get back until after 7pm, traffic is bumper to bumper. There is no public transit to the beaches.

Everything here costs money. There are almost no free events, but we have valet parking at the grocery store. This is a completely different universe, don’t be fooled by palm trees and plastic people.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:34 AM

7 posts, read 15,935 times
Dear GnosticCyn,

Thank you very much for your honest reply. Obviously no one ever has trouble seeing the glamorous side of LA-- we all do regularly-- but for those of us who aren't there it is refreshing and eye-opening to have a first hand account of what day-to-day life might be like. Is there any more information you can provide? Cost of a weekly food shop for 2 people (best estimate), cost of the movies, cost of electricity, water, car insurance? Any additional info you can provide would be a great help! My husband and I are trying to realistically consider whether or not LA is even a possibility.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:20 AM

7,142 posts, read 19,564,216 times
GnosticCyn makes some good remarks, but also some very poor ones. Take everything he/she said with a grain of salt. First off, I know plenty of straight people who live in West Hollywood. Secondly, LA driving habits may be one reason why our traffic is so bad, but it ultimately comes down to the fact that there are just too many cars on the road. I've traveled through 4 continents and seen bad driving, LA is actually a pretty easy place to drive compared to some of the world's other large cities. Lastly, rents are expensive here, especially in Woodland Hills. Woodland Hills is one of the most expensive parts of the valley, certainly more expensive than North Hollywood.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:39 AM

269 posts, read 818,797 times
I thought everyone from England moved to Florida?? That's what it seemed like when I lived there anyway.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:45 AM

A trip to the local movie theater is about $10 per person. A bottle of water at the concession stand? about $4. This is movieland and everybody goes.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:48 AM

Car insurance varies greatly here with your location and the type of car you have. Southern California in general is considered high, but then most people out here drive newer, expensive cars. Your ages and points on your license will also determine your costs. For a better idea, try Progressive.com. They give quotes not only on themselves, but on others - good source of information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or