U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 10:17 PM

27,075 posts, read 54,279,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Any proposition that says it's one thing but is also sneaking in another agenda is an automatic "no" in my book. "No" on 98!
Proposition 98 is clear, simple, and straightforward, with only one purpose: to protect homes, farmland, and small businesses . . . all private property.

Proposition 98 does this by:

Making it illegal for government to seize homes, small businesses, family farms, and places of worship and transfer them to private parties for their private use and profit.

Making it illegal to force the sale or rental of private homes, apartments, or other residences at below market prices.

This is all there is to Proposition 98, nothing tricky, nothing hidden. Read the Proposition 98 text carefully and you’ll find it has the purpose of saving our homes, farms, small businesses, and places of worship from being seized from their owners for the benefit and profit of private developers.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:29 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,062,450 times
Yes on 98; No on 99

Old 06-01-2008, 10:43 PM

6,294 posts, read 15,771,894 times
Prop 98 does not have only one purpose! It has another purpose - to kill off all forms of rent control in the entire state of California!

NO on 98. The powers that be can put it back on the ballot without killing off rent control. Then I'd vote for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Proposition 98 is clear, simple, and straightforward, with only one purpose: to protect homes, farmland, and small businesses . . . all private property.

Proposition 98 does this by:

Making it illegal for government to seize homes, small businesses, family farms, and places of worship and transfer them to private parties for their private use and profit.

Making it illegal to force the sale or rental of private homes, apartments, or other residences at below market prices.

This is all there is to Proposition 98, nothing tricky, nothing hidden. Read the Proposition 98 text carefully and you’ll find it has the purpose of saving our homes, farms, small businesses, and places of worship from being seized from their owners for the benefit and profit of private developers.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Prop 98 does not have only one purpose! It has another purpose - to kill off all forms of rent control in the entire state of California!

NO on 98. The powers that be can put it back on the ballot without killing off rent control. Then I'd vote for it.
Government has many fair and legitimate ways to help the elderly, poor, disabled, veterans, students, and others with their rent and other housing needs.

Government provides rental assistance and housing programs. Government can buy or build residential housing and provide it to the needy at low cost or even no cost.

Government should not force a private property owner alone to bear the entire cost of renting his or her home or apartment at less than the fair rental value. Forty-five of the other 49 states provide this basic protection. We are long overdue in protecting our property owners.

Here's California's State Attorney General's Prop 98 OFFICIAL TITLE AND SUMMARY

EMINENT DOMAIN. LIMITS ON GOVERNMENT AUTHORITY.

INITIATIVE CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT.

Bars state and local governments from taking or damaging private property for private uses.
Prohibits rent control and similar measures.
Prohibits deference to government in takings cases.
Defines “just compensation.”
Requires an award of attorneys fees and costs if a property owner obtains a judgment for more than the amount offered by the government.
Requires government to offer to original owner of condemned property the right to repurchase property at condemned price when property is put to substantially different use than was publicly stated.

Summary of Legislative Analyst’s Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal Impact:

Increased costs to many governments due to the measure’s restrictions. The net statewide fiscal effect, however, probably would not be significant.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:25 PM

Ultrarunner, don't make me type up the Prop 98 Cons!

Remember, vote N0 on Prop 98 on Tuesday.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Ultrarunner, don't make me type up the Prop 98 Cons!

Remember, vote N0 on Prop 98 on Tuesday.
I would never ask a Lady do that

Just as a point of reference...

I find it interesting both opponents and proponents of Proposition 98 filed lawsuits against the California Attorney General's office regarding the ballot description.

Proponents argued rent control repeal should not have been mentioned in the AG's ballot description.

Oponents argued that the AG ballot measure's title was misleading because it said nothing about Prop. 98's stance toward rent control.

Both lawsuits were unsuccessful.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-03-2008 at 06:20 PM..

Old 06-01-2008, 11:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,663,884 times
Rent control is just a prolonged form of eminent domain/wealth transfer: Instead of taking one's property all at once and paying them for it, rent control slowly reduces the value of the property without any compensation. Vote yes on 98.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:51 AM

17,454 posts, read 16,313,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
I'm back in the undecided corner. Nothing that anyone has said on this thread, frankly, just getting more of the info.
A hearty second to that. I'm completely confused as to how to vote on these 2 propositions. And the fact that Schwarzenegger is against 98 because he's concerned that its limits on the use of eminent domain could delay and add to the cost of new water facilities, freeways, government buildings, etc, makes me think that the proposition is written even more obliquely than we thought.

Last edited by CA4Now; 06-02-2008 at 09:06 AM..

Old 06-02-2008, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,181 times
Bloody hell, if I could vote with you Yanks, I'd vote yes on everything to eliminate rent control, which is for working mothers and other losers who want to cheat property owners out of fair market value.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:45 PM

Directly from the voter pamphlet, "rebuttal to arguments in favor of Proposition 98":

"According to Secretary of State records, apartment and mobile home park landlords paid MILLIONS to get this proposition on the ballot.

These landlords are trying the oldest political trick in the book--THE BAIT AND SWITCH. They want you to believe 98 is about eminent domain, but what they really want is to eliminate the most basic protections renters have against unfair landlords."

And if that isn't enough, the rebuttal also addresses the eminent domain portion of Proposition 98:

"98's EMINENT DOMAIN PROVISIONS ARE DEEPLY FLAWED.

Prop 98's supposed eminent domain provisions are so poorly drafted that they will lead to frivolous lawsuits, more bureaucracy and red tape, and actually hurt homeowners and all property owners."

Voter Information Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles