Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:54 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
You have the option to no longer own property if you are unhappy with rent control. Whether you or other landlords want to believe it or not, the majority of renter are already in the "food or rent" position. A lot of people are renting out their living rooms to make ends meet. If salaries rose to the levels of rent, then I could see your point, but the fact is rents are higher than salaries. Most of people spend more than half of their earnings to pay the rent. You think homelessness is a problem now? eliminate rent control and you'll see more homeless than ever. Especially senir citizens. Is that really what property owners want? People sleeping on the streets so they can lure the New Yorkers who pay way more in rent and think that rents here are cheap to move into their buildings? Are you willing to put senior citizens and children on the street so you can make a profit?
We seem to be having a hard time connecting...

I have several Elderly Residents... one is 81 with $700 SSI per month... She was in desperate straights when the building she had been living in was sold.

The Realtor handling the sale contacted me and I was able to take her to the Oakland Housing Authority where she received an emergency Section 8 Housing Voucher.

Her rent has gone from $500 per month to $51... and her unit is clean and modern...

The same housing programs also apply to families with minor children and disabled... people have options and my point is the burden of housing the "Soon to be homeless" rests with all of society.

None of these families receiving Section 8 or low income housing assistance are in a "Food or Rent" position as you stated...

One of my single parent Section 8 Moms has a daughter that received a scholarship to college based on academic performance... no one would know any of these families receive Housing Assistance.

There is a big difference between Rent Control and Rent Assistance...

I would have much less of a problem with Rent Control if those benefiting would have to qualify annually to continue renting at below market rates... Would you support a measure requiring means testing?

No other business is required to subsidize the wealthy under the guise of helping the poor.

I very much supported Prop 98 as being fair and balanced...

Prop 98 provided for a phase-in of Rent De-Control allowing existing Tenants to continue under rent control for as long as they remain in Rent Controlled Units... Prop 98 also protected Tenants from becoming Homeless through Eminant Domain to benefit private developers...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-05-2008 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Added "Means Testing"

Old 06-05-2008, 08:55 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,114,593 times
Due to overpopulation programs like Sec 8, have waiting lists years long. No one said that people on public assistance were the dregs of society. But whether you want to believe it or not, or like it or not, there are people who are on the waiting list who are choosing between food and rent. The lucky few do not represent the big picture they exist for the sole purpose of lulling people into the false belief that people don't have to be poor or struggle if they don't want to. The truth is that social service dollars are stretched beyond their means and there isn't money to help all those who need it. This is why rent control is a good thing.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:57 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
Okay, everyone, since Proposition 98 was defeated, this thread is no longer needed. If you want to discuss rent control, perhaps the "Politics and Other Topics" thread would be a good place, or the "Renting" forum.

Thanks, everyone, for contributing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles