U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2008, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 17,092 times

Advertisements

I am moving to LA and I want to be close to the entertainment industry.

So I have ruled out living way out in Palmdale etc. to get cheaper rent.

I want to rent the cheapest one bedroom I can that is safe and secure. I expect this will be around $1500/month.

I am looking in Sherman Oaks, Burbank, West LA, West Hollywood, Studio City, and Valley Village.

What are the differences between these places? Should I be looking elsewhere?

Last edited by Himself; 05-25-2008 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 07:53 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,729,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himself View Post

So I have ruled out living way out in Pomdale etc. to get cheaper rent.

I want to rent the cheapest one bedroom I can that is safe and secure. I expect this will be around $1500/month.

I am looking in Sherman Oaks, Burbank, West LA, West Hollywood, Studio City, and Valley Village.

I can't help you much other than to recommend checking out existing threads. Those places seem to have been mentioned before for the circumstances you describe. I take it you don't know exactly where you'd be working.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:02 PM

3 posts, read 17,092 times
I don't know where I would be working. My main purpose in moving to LA is because it is easier to pursue an entertainment career than the Midwest.

I am self-unemployed with enough money saved up to live for a year or so in LA . . . and maybe indefinitely if my income stays consistent.

I know that all of the places I mentioned are close enough to each-other that driving to appointments in the greater-Los-Angeles area will be possible -- this is my main goal of moving. (So I don't have to constantly hop on planes to make appointments in LA).

So I am looking for blunt, subjective opinions on the general character of these different neighborhoods. Are they all he same?

Old 05-25-2008, 08:46 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,559,792 times
They are all fine. They are good entertainment industry choices.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:19 PM

14,527 posts, read 16,126,240 times
Quote:
Spelling, that's the difference. Oh, and zip code...

Old 05-25-2008, 10:25 PM

6,309 posts, read 15,778,966 times
West Hollywood is its own incorporated city. The other neighborhoods you mentioned are all in the City of L.A.

West Hollywood and West L.A. will be a little cooler than any of the San Fernando Valley cities.

You should be able to find a decent one-bedroom anywhere for that price.

Quote:

So I have ruled out living way out in Palmdale etc. to get cheaper rent.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:30 AM

8 posts, read 25,204 times
Default jamworks

I think you can find a decent apartment in Valley Village for $1500 per month. Be forewarned -- evictions, apartment demolitions, and condo conversions were rampant in Sherman Oaks, Studio City, and Village Village as real estate levels skyrocketed, and the trend will probably resume as soon as the housing market improves. So if you want a secure place to live in that part of the San Fernando Valley, it won't be easy as a renter.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:49 PM

34 posts, read 29,125 times
I think Valley Village or North Hollywood in the NOHO Arts District might be the most cost effective and central location for you.

You will be close to all major freeways and therefore close to most studios and won't break the bank.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:19 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,132,034 times
Burbank is a little slower and suburban/less dense imo (though you would consider the entire valley suburban), so there is a little less traffic and nightlife than the other towns listed.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:13 PM

7 posts, read 6,172 times
I'd start with Burbank if you want to work in the entertainment industry. I live there currently. But you won't get much for $1,500/mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or