Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 08:16 PM

6 posts, read 14,732 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 year old single male living in Tallahassee Florida and seriously thinking of moving to the LA area. I have been in the Marines for 6 years, college educated, and live a fairly balanced life. I am looking for information on what life is like in Los Angeles. Is there anyone who can tell me about crime, cost of living, average entry level PR/Advertising salaries, and good places to start living? I know I have asked a lot of questions but if anyone can shed some light on these issues I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 08:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Most of what you are asking for has already been written about. Use the search button with keywords; Use advanced search to narrow it down to LA.

Normally I ask what a person can afford but since you are asking about salaries and affordability depends on salary I won't ask (unless you already have a good idea).

One repetitive piece of advice is to live near where you work. As a single person this should not be a huge problem.

Couple of basic tools to use:

Sigalert.com - Personalized Traffic Reports
REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale

Check out careerbuilder and monster for jobs.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:10 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Entry level PR jobs in LA are not the easiest to get. Do you already have public relations/advertising or marketing experience? Do you have $$$ saved and other experience that you will need to supplement your entry level PR job income? Entry level PR does not pay very well. I would even go as far as to say that its not even an LA 'liveable' salary.

Are you really great at networking? You will need to be a pro at networking to even get your foot in the door of any of the top notch PR or Ad agencies. If you have any existing contacts - I would work them really hard. Do you have a polished look and demeanor? This is also extremely important.

For someone without industry connections I would suggest going the staffing agency route. This is a good way to get your foot in the door.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:29 PM

108 posts, read 290,782 times
Calipoppy is right, entry level PR and advertising jobs pay next to nothing, perhaps $40K to start. You could live on this, but you'd really have to hunt for a decent apartment to afford with this salary. But don't let it discourage you if this is what you want to do for a living, just be prepared to not make much money for a while. Perhaps go into something similar, like Marketing Coordinator? But even this wouldn't pay much either, but should be more job openings in this field. Try the Blackstone Apartments in Long Beach. My friend lives there. Its right in downtown long beach near Pine Avenue where all the bars and restaurants and nightlife is at. Very nice area, and its the most affordable apartment in that area. My friend pays $775/month for a studio which includes parking. The bldg is old, but its in a great area. You could catch the Blue Line metrorail walking distance from there into downtown LA to work. Or, try living in Pasadena, near old town. Also a very fun place to live, but more expensive than downtown Long Beach.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:56 AM

46 posts, read 138,551 times
Default You sound like a nice person

and the neighbor that many would appreciate. I have to admit your title made me smile, it sounds a little like you're also available and looking!

Here is a link that should get you started gathering information on many of the statistics (and more) that you were wondering about. Los Angeles, California (CA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 06-03-2008, 02:17 PM

6 posts, read 14,732 times
Everyone has really helped give me some idea of what to expect in the LA market. I greatly appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles