Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,912 times

Advertisements

I went to Park Ave. Elementary in the 70's. The playground used to ooze black tar looking stuff, turns out the school was supposedly built on a trash dump. I heard they tore it down, but I guess I heard wrong. I lived on Santa Ana St. and it was a pretty nice neighborhood back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 01:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,877 times
I dont know much about any of your backgrounds as former residents or passer byers in Cudahy but I'm a young and current resident and can honestly say the schools are not what you may expect them to be. Their attempting to ease the density stress by building more schools but LAUSD in general does a horrilble job with managing them. The problems will continue till the politcial aspects change and the people of Cudahy are given the information to run with and start some change themselves. It doesn't seen near but theres always hope.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:13 PM

330 posts, read 1,310,078 times
Default No markets/No chain restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Hey, the one, are there any plans to build new grocery stores in the Bell/Maywood/Huntington Park/Cudahy area? I notice that VON's closest store is in Downey, with the second closest in Montebello and third closest in Paramount...
No markets in those cities anymore like Vons, Ralphs or Albertson's.
It is now Gigantic, Value Plus, Northgate, Super Bueno or Super Warehouse.

No restaurants in those cities like TGIF's, Claim Jumper or Elephant Bar.
It is now El Camino, Taco Asirda or Jim's Burgers.

What people don't realize is that this is most of Los Angeles. Just the South Bay area, beach cities and westside of LA are upscale or better pockets to live in. Even the San Gabriel Valley and Inland Empire is going down fast. It is a matter of time before the whole bottom part of the state is all like that, "Southern Mexifornia".

Old 09-27-2008, 07:33 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,734,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post

What people don't realize is that this is most of Los Angeles. Just the South Bay area, beach cities and westside of LA are upscale or better pockets to live in. Even the San Gabriel Valley and Inland Empire is going down fast. It is a matter of time before the whole bottom part of the state is all like that, "Southern Mexifornia".
Wow. Usually people complain about illegals, but you just straight out criticized the presence of Hispanics and Hispanic businesses. I admire the straightforwardness.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Wow. Usually people complain about illegals, but you just straight out criticized the presence of Hispanics and Hispanic businesses. I admire the straightforwardness.
I did not mean to sound offensive. The demographics change over the years. Very interesting. There is a strong dominance of Latin culture in many cities in LA County. Especially off of the 710 freeway. Some people really like it. Reminds them of their roots and their native country. Others feel it is too much. "Southern Mexifornia". That element is not for everyone.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:34 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,734,188 times
Quote:
I did not mean to sound offensive. The demographics change over the years. Very interesting. There is a strong dominance of Latin culture in many cities in LA County. Especially off of the 710 freeway. Some people really like it. Reminds them of their roots and their native country. Others feel it is too much. "Southern Mexifornia". That element is not for everyone.
True, it isnt. But when you move to a place next to Mexico with a name like California and in a city named Los Angeles, you gotta kind of expect it right?
Its still a A LOT more diverse than it was when it was actually part of Mexico, which I like.

None of the above is meant to be insulting or anything. It's just my take on it. LA's always had a lot of Mexican/Hispanic influence and always will.

It's funny though, because I bet a lot of the old school Mexican families in places like Echo Park were thinking the same thing about demographic changes when the hipsters/gays/yuppies start to move in pricing them out.

I agree with you, though, its funny how demographics change.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:43 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,224,697 times
What the heck's up with responding to threads that are a year out of date?

Old 09-28-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
What the heck's up with responding to threads that are a year out of date?
The thread is still open. Even though the OP may no longer be responding. Other people are posting to the topic. When the thread closes, people will stop posting. OK?

Old 09-28-2008, 09:45 AM

Question Rainbow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
True, it isnt. But when you move to a place next to Mexico with a name like California and in a city named Los Angeles, you gotta kind of expect it right?
Its still a A LOT more diverse than it was when it was actually part of Mexico, which I like.

None of the above is meant to be insulting or anything. It's just my take on it. LA's always had a lot of Mexican/Hispanic influence and always will.

It's funny though, because I bet a lot of the old school Mexican families in places like Echo Park were thinking the same thing about demographic changes when the hipsters/gays/yuppies start to move in pricing them out.

I agree with you, though, its funny how demographics change.
I thought diversity was everyone. More like a rainbow. European, Asian, African American, Arabic, Jewish, Native American, Hispanic, etc., 98% Hispanic does not seem diverse to me. Like you said, those cities serve the people wo live there and their culture. Being a county employee, I have worked in many of those communities. A lot of Southern Californians stay in their OC bubble, like Newport Beach or Yorba Linda and don't know what I am talking about. Unless they are visiting a friend in Compton or South Gate, why would they go there? I think some of the communities out in the Pomona and San Gabriel Valleys are a little more diverse than the south side of LA. I am not sure.

Last edited by Texasturkey; 09-28-2008 at 09:55 AM..

Old 09-29-2008, 02:59 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,008,117 times
I'll use some store locators and have some fun.

Since the subject is Cudahy, let's see where the closest stores are.
* Vons: 10001 Paramount Boulevard in Downey - 3.28 miles from city hall
* Ralph's: 8626 Firestone Boulevard in Downey - 3.66 miles from city hall
* Elephant Bar: 12002 Lakewood Boulevard in Downey - 8.86 miles from city hall (driving time)
* TGI Friday's: 12721 Towne Center Drive in Cerritos - 9.63 miles from city hall
* Claim Jumper: 7971 Beach Boulevard in Buena Park - 20.25 miles from city hall (driving time)
(I can't find any LA-area Albertson's)

And a few more:
* Burger King: 7900 Atlantic Avenue in Cudahy - 0.2 miles from city hall
* McDonald's: 8029 Atlantic Avenue in Cudahy - 0.61 miles from city hall
* Taco Bell: 7500 Atlantic Avenue in Cudahy - 1.06 miles from city hall
* KFC:
** 7016 Atlantic Avenue in Bell - 0.82 miles from city hall
** 5735 Florence Avenue in Bell Gardens - 1.13 miles from city hall
* El Pollo Loco: 7519 Atlantic Avenue in Cudahy - Less than one mile from city hall
* Jack in the Box:
** 8920 Atlantic Avenue in South Gate - 1.07 miles from city hall
** 4525 Florence Avenue in Bell - 1.28 miles from city hall
* Pizza Hut
** 7000 Atlantic Avenue in Bell - 1.55 miles from city hall
** 5736 Gage Avenue in Bell Gardens - 1.8 miles from city hall
* Domino's Pizza: 7021 Atlantic Avenue in Bell - 1.6 miles from city hall
* Pollo Campero: 8618 South Garfield Avenue in South Gate - 2 miles from city hall
* In-N-Out Burger: 6000 Pacific Boulevard in Huntington Park - 2.98 miles from city hall
* Wendy's: 14305 Lakewood Boulevard in Downey - 4.61 miles from city hall

Quote:

Last edited by Vicman; 09-29-2008 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: More fast food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles