Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:08 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times

Advertisements

Probably no point to telling this story but I was camping at Apache lake in AZ and camped next to the boat ramp (which is permitted). That evening a woman brought her kids down to the ramp and started tossing firecrackers. I pleaded with her to stop it, and you know I couldn't just move my whole camp already set up, but she insisted on her right to throw firecrackers and just kept on doing it. I always think of women is being more compassionate and sympathetic than men, but this one ***** was as hard as nails, a very hard, hard woman. Her husband came over and started getting protective and confrontational, and no cellphone service either, so I walked to a pay phone and called the sheriff's office and requested a unit. Needless to say the law never came, or at least hadn't arrived by the next morning when I picked up camp and left. I wonder what kind of lesson her children learned from the incident.

Sometimes people can sure be ****ed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 02:08 PM

236 posts, read 1,141,390 times
I've never heard the phrase "frick frackin'." Did you make this up, or am I just out of it?

Old 06-11-2008, 02:23 PM

It's kind of a variation of freakin' or frackin' or any of a number of words you could use instead of one that the moderators probably prefer we don't use in the forum. No, you're not out of it, although I didn't invent anything. I'm no trend setter. By the time I do something it's probably already passé.

But it got you to read my thread, right?

Some people don't understand the art of writing a good thread title. For example, "Question about Los Angeles" tells us little or nothing. I bet there are threads like that in the LA section of CD.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:33 PM

162 posts, read 572,559 times
Hey Lovehound that sounds like my freakin' frackin' old neighbor. When you said "women are usually more compassionate" she popped right into my mind as a perfect example of the opposite. The main point is, male or female, a feeling of entitlement and she had that in spades. The woman you mentioned felt she was entitled to do anything thing she pleased, and that it might hurt or annoy someone else, well that is THEIR problem as far as she is concerned.

And, what those kids learned from that incident is something I can guarantee they've been learning from her since they were born. Highly likely they will be just like her. And the husband, she's got him trained, or he's just as much of an donkeyhole as she is.

Last edited by PecanPie; 06-11-2008 at 02:43 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanPie View Post
And the husband, she's got him trained, or he's just as much of an donkeyhole as she is.
Well most husbands will side with their wives against another man even if the wife is wrong, particularly if the man has a few too many testosterones running around in his body. Of course that's to be expected; it's the lesson man has learned the hard way since living in caves was in fashion.

It all boils down to people behaving badly when the behavior is below the level that the law kicks in, either in theory or in practice. People have to want to be polite and civil. You can't force them to do that. The only way they learn that is if their parents taught them when they were young.

Unfortunately it seems like behaving badly is becoming more prevalent, particularly combined with a belief of entitlement. "I want it so I'm entitled to have it." It's probably the slogan of modern day man (and woman).

Old 06-14-2008, 08:07 AM

59 posts, read 214,268 times
As most people I love the July 4, and Iam ready to go.
I just can't be too concerned about scaring a dog. their will be about 50 people on are block all shooting off fireworks and having a super great time.
Come on over, BYOF Bring Your Own Fireworks
Attached Thumbnails
Another frick frackin' Forurth of July-fireworks-202.jpg   Another frick frackin' Forurth of July-dsc_2009-20fireworks.jpg  

Old 06-14-2008, 08:20 AM

324 posts, read 1,707,183 times
My dog also freaks out with the fireworks. She was shot by her former owner so she seriously freaks at any noise that sounds remotely like a gun shot. Anyway, what we do with her is put her in her crate when they are going off. She feels safer in there.

I think it is annoying that the law abiding citizens don't get the joy of setting off the fireworks safely as they used to but the people who don't give a hoot are doing even more dangerous ones now.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:37 AM

162 posts, read 572,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep4x4 View Post
As most people I love the July 4, and Iam ready to go.
I just can't be too concerned about scaring a dog. their will be about 50 people on are block all shooting off fireworks and having a super great time.
Come on over, BYOF Bring Your Own Fireworks
If you live in a place where fireworks are not illegal, enjoy.

As for all of the griping here, I think mainly the problem is the fireworks celebrations that begin in May and June and carry on through mid-July. You are having a celebration ON THE DAY, that is quite different. We pet owners can deal with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles