Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 08:49 AM

48 posts, read 51,947 times

Advertisements

So it is all relative I guess, Rokuremote! Thanks for your input. We'd just like to be in a place where we can have our neighbors over and also be invited to their places occasionally...while knowing fully well we are still in suburbia due to budget reasons and also needing space/larger lot and a single family home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 08:52 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenonearth048 View Post
So it is all relative I guess, Rokuremote! Thanks for your input. We'd just like to be in a place where we can have our neighbors over and also be invited to their places occasionally...while knowing fully well we are still in suburbia due to budget reasons and also needing space/larger lot and a single family home.
There's no general guarantee that this would happen in these neighborhoods irrespective of your orientation.
My family found this VERY hit or miss, and a couple neighbors who move away (and their replacements who move in) can change the vibe very quickly.

Old 02-13-2024, 06:59 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
This could happen pretty much anywhere you live. It just depends on the kind of people who are your neighbors. Do you guys/gals have a LOT of dogs is why you need large space/lot? There are plenty of dog parks in LA/SFV area where you could visit.

I have to admit though, this has never happened to me anywhere I have ever lived except for the Los Angeles neighborhood where I grew up. But that was in the 70s and 80s. The only exception was neighbors who had kid(s) in the same grade/school as our kid. We'd have birthday parties, christmas parties, etc. but other than that, I really had no interest or mutual interests with any neighbor ever to be that close to invite them over or accept an invite from them. Dont get me wrong, we (neighbors) new each other well enough to always be on the lookout and protect each other, but that is as far as it goes.

In LA, its usually people who you have things in common with that creates your "community", not just those who happen to live close by. Its usually people you meet from either work, or common interests like if you are an actor, musician, involved in martial arts, theater, etc.

EDIT: Now that I think about it. There was one time where I DID have neighbors who invited me over for hangouts and even invited me to go with them out to dinner/drinks etc. This was back in the late 90s and they were two Los Angeles native artsy lesbian musicians/artists who lived in the condo complex with me. But again, what we had in common was love for our dogs and one was actually my blues guitar instructor.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:52 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,688 times
I would stick with the San Fernando Valley. You could look into Chatsworth, Lake Chatsworth, West Hills, parts of Canoga Park. I would even expand your search to Granada Hills if you're open to it. On the whole, the San Fernando Valley, which is part of the city of Los Angeles, is more tolerant towards LGBTQ people. It's probably safer for a same-sex couple than Simi Valley.

Simi Valley is home to the Reagan Library and, to this day, remains very conservative. It has always had a large population of police officers.

Old 02-16-2024, 04:18 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Dude, you really cant go wrong with any place in the San Fernando Valley. I see from your posting history that you are a mixed race same sex male couple so you dudes really would be welcome and happy pretty much any place in the SFV (NOT Simi Valley). The most important thing is where will you guys be working? You do not want to have a bad commute to work. Most neighborhoods in the valley will be totally accepting of mixed race same sex male couples so you really just need to focus on work commute. Are you dudes looking to buy or rent?

Old 02-19-2024, 10:03 PM

785 posts, read 483,610 times
It's funny. I'm born/bred/still living in "liberal" NYC (Queens). Born here in 1972. I've NEVER SEEN A SAME SEX COUPLE YET other than walking the streets of Manhattan or parts of Astoria.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
It's funny. I'm born/bred/still living in "liberal" NYC (Queens). Born here in 1972. I've NEVER SEEN A SAME SEX COUPLE YET other than walking the streets of Manhattan or parts of Astoria.
Um ok? And this addresses the OP's questions how?

Old 02-26-2024, 05:19 PM

48 posts, read 51,947 times
I guess I just like the look and feel of Simi - we love nature, hiking trails, quick access to ocean, less air pollution, etc. - SFV just seems more urban, chaotic and may be unaffordable as we would really like a 10K square foot lot (we like some land). Plus I love trains more than buses in general, don't like driving as much, and I see Simi has a Metrolink station that connects to Downtown LA union station...looks like then there will be a metro line soon from Union station to Westwood in time for the Olympics?

Any case, commute is not too much of an issue as - it will be twice a week (rarely 3Xweek) to the Westwood area.

Anyway, Simi just seem to have so many pros for what we like, except for that one question about being a welcoming and inclusive community...

Old 02-26-2024, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I guess I just like the look and feel of Simi - we love nature, hiking trails, quick access to ocean, less air pollution, etc. - SFV just seems more urban, chaotic and may be unaffordable as we would really like a 10K square foot lot (we like some land). Plus I love trains more than buses in general, don't like driving as much, and I see Simi has a Metrolink station that connects to Downtown LA union station...looks like then there will be a metro line soon from Union station to Westwood in time for the Olympics?

Any case, commute is not too much of an issue as - it will be twice a week (rarely 3Xweek) to the Westwood area.

Anyway, Simi just seem to have so many pros for what we like, except for that one question about being a welcoming and inclusive community...
Simi is not closer to the beaches by any means.
I'm truly not sure you'd find what your describing in any of the choices you've mentioned. TBH it sounds a little forced or something. You're not going to find a bunch of people circling around singing kumbaya every weekend. Not saying they're unaccepting, or that you won't find a great neighbor or two, but all of these communities are pretty mellow and I guess I'd say privacy oriented, if that makes sense.
There's a Metro stop in Chatsworth.
You can find lots of your preferred size in the SFV.

Old 02-27-2024, 12:47 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
After reading all the responses by the op, I would suggest they move up north to a suburb of San Francisco.
Some great places outside of the city.
You stated you like trains, so hop on Amtrack on those days you need to be in Westwood.
Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles