Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 09:02 AM

48 posts, read 51,947 times

Advertisements

Hello folks!

We are a same-sex couple considering a move to the LA area. We love forging a nice community - a good group of people from all walks of life. We have lived in many parts of the country, and noticed that some neighborhoods are more welcoming of same-sex and/or biracial couples than others. No open prejudice from some other more conservative/mixed hoods, but have noticed families being polite, yet not friendly enough to welcome us to their homes or create strong bonds of friendship due to unconscious biases

With this in mind, and considering this would be our "forever home" and community, I would love to hear from folks, straight or not, and of all races, to talk about pros and cons of Simi Valley vs the other towns we are looking at (West Hillls, Granada Hills, Canoga Park, Chatsworth). We don't have human kids, so school districts etc not a concern.

Simi Valley has some great pros, and we really liked it in our quick survey visits: chiefly - more home for the money, safe, clean, much lower utility costs, not too far from restaurants/bars on the East of the Santa Susanna pass and quick connection to the coast. But, will it be genuinely welcoming of a family like ours?

Any other diverse families out in these areas, and especially in Simi Valley, who can tell me more?

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by heavenonearth048; 02-09-2024 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2024, 04:38 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
I find it odd that all 42 of your posts here are about “Gay couple wants to move to……”.

Why are you interested in Simi Valley? The other locations are much better - West Hills, Canoga Park and Chatsworth. I’m curious as to how Simi came to be on your radar?

Old 02-09-2024, 04:46 PM

The “Pros” you mentioned about Simi Valley are totally incorrect. Compared to the other cities of the things you mentioned, Simi is actually the Worst.

Old 02-09-2024, 04:51 PM

we have moved a lot in the past, but now are considering making one more to finally put down some roots Kings Gambit, would you mind elaborating? Thanks everyone! Simi Valley on radar for being more affordable for single family homes...

Old 02-10-2024, 01:38 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
I don't know a whole lot about Simi Valley except that it is a "bedroom community which means straight, family raising and family oriented.
I know a couple (straight) who have lived there before the #118 connected Simi to the west San Fernando valley.
It has always been a bedroom community.
I think( thought the cost for property would be more) you would be happier in West Hollywood.
I believe in Simi, you would be tolerated, not welcomed.
This is just my opinion, but I think it is correct .

Old 02-10-2024, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I believe in Simi, you would be tolerated, not welcomed.
This is just my opinion, but I think it is correct .
I totally agree with this. But also would add that the OP would be even LESS tolerated if you are a male same sex couple than if you are a female same sex couple. In most other places in the Valley, no one will care, pay attention to, or even care who you are married to. Basically, same sex couples are just as welcomed and accepted as traditional couples.

West Hill is probably the best of all the neighborhoods you mentioned. Its west of Canoga Park just north of Woodland Hills. You're close enough to all of the great restaurants on Ventura blvd and shopping/eateries at Topanga Village and Topanga Plaza (both of which are in Canoga Park). Not to mention you can just take Topanga Canyon over the hill and it lets you out right at Malibu Beach.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:44 AM

Thanks, Calguy and Kings Gambit. A little disheartening to hear this, especially since Simi gets way more bang for your buck, home wise. But yes, we would like to not only think about the physcial home, but love to be an open and mixed community where none of those identity "differences" make a difference

Any gay couples out there who can share experiences or ideas? Thanks!

Old 02-11-2024, 11:16 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
I think there are many areas in Los Angeles where you and your partner would not only be welcomed, but would also be in areas where same sex couples are abundant.
Silver lake, Echo Park, Highland Park, just to name a few.
I think you and your partner are going to need to make some sort of decision as to what you are willing to settle on, that being a community with like couples,(more expensive) or a place where it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to live.
Looking for that "sweet spot" is difficult.

One other major consideration is finding a community that is close to where you work.
Long commutes can sometimes wear one down emotionally, as well as physically.

It has been a long time since my partner died, and communities have changed over the years.
We chose Highland Park because it was close to everything we needed at the time.
Back then, it was predominantly family, with few gays mixed in.
We survived, and because of my involvement in the community, we were able to maintain good relationships in our neighborhood.

I remained in Highland Park, and have seen an influx of young people straight and gay to the area.
Many nice eateries, and shops have opened recently, and they attract many young people to the area.
Houses are not cheap, as is the situation all over Los Angeles.

Simi Valley is great if you are straight.
I am sure some gay people live there, but I don't believe they are as open and free living as they are in other areas.
My recommendations would be any of the three areas I have mentioned.
Naturally I am a whole lot biased when it comes to Highland Park.

Old 02-11-2024, 04:11 PM

Thanks so much Calguy, for your insights!

For our budget and a sane commute to work (and we do want a single family with a small yard and pool), I think we can only go for the West Hills, Granada Hills and Canoga Park areas in the SFV. Bummer that in this day and age and in the LA area...that we have to consider stretching our budgets to be in an inclusive community where these things don't matter anymore

Old 02-11-2024, 05:34 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenonearth048 View Post
Thanks so much Calguy, for your insights!

For our budget and a sane commute to work (and we do want a single family with a small yard and pool), I think we can only go for the West Hills, Granada Hills and Canoga Park areas in the SFV. Bummer that in this day and age and in the LA area...that we have to consider stretching our budgets to be in an inclusive community where these things don't matter anymore
I dunno, on the spectrum of things Simi is only 'bad' on the grading curve. It's not like it's some fundy backwater where a SS couple would be in any real danger of ostracization or harm. Yes, it's the most conservative of the 4 choices, but you're NOT going to find "community" in Canoga Park for example. ALL of these areas are hard-core suburban Valley neighborhoods. There's very little pedestrian/neighborhood culture, coffee shop culture, etc. or other community-building activity other than Neighborhood Councils.
Yes, probably even less so in Simi but again that's all on the curve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles