Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 06:27 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

Hope it works out well. It's a tough time for book stores.

Vroman’s Bookstore Goes Up for Sale
Controlling interest shareholder says it’s time for new energy and a fresh vision for the legacy Pasadena business

https://www.pasadenanow.com/main/vro...es-up-for-sale

130-year-old California bookstore seeks buyer
https://artdaily.com/news/166585/130...re-seeks-buyer

A Beloved 130-Year-Old Small Business in California Is Seeking a New Owner
https://www.entrepreneur.com/busines...w-owner/469465

130-year-old Pasadena bookstore looking for buyer
https://laist.com/brief/news/pasaden...king-for-buyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 05:41 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Really sad. One of the most incredible bookstores in the greater L.A. area. I hope that the owner can find a local buyer.

Old 03-01-2024, 10:49 AM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
When we lived in Pasadena & South Pasadena many years ago, this was a great bookstore to visit and browse. We’d walk on Colorado Blvd., exploring the various shops and often stop in. I hope for a good outcome. Not many bookstores left these days.

Old 03-01-2024, 01:04 PM

3,525 posts, read 6,521,504 times
Question: there used to be a Jones Coffee thing in front of Vroman's. What is there now?

Old 03-01-2024, 01:51 PM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
When we lived in Pasadena & South Pasadena many years ago, this was a great bookstore to visit and browse. We’d walk on Colorado Blvd., exploring the various shops and often stop in. I hope for a good outcome. Not many bookstores left these days.
Same here. We used to take our daughter when she was a baby/toddler to KidSpace, then always to swing by at Vroman to read books, buy books, check the stuffed animals, and just enjoy a smaller/more intimate/non-chain bookstore experience. They also had nice selection of international magazines (there and the magazine stand on Sunset near Chateau Marmont.) as my husband would get U.K music magazines and I would buy French magazines. Then we shopped at Target on Colorado then took Arroyo Parkway then the 101 home to South Pasadena.

The bonus is we saw Keanu Reeves there a couple of times.

I truly hope the bookstore survives, and the new owner won’t turn it to the Erewhon version of bookstore.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:08 AM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
We haven’t visited the area in many years, since we moved away. Would like to visit one day and see what’s changed. I recall visiting Vroman’s, then walking a block over to the Target on Colorado, then walking over to Lake Ave., and visiting the shops there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung baby View Post
Same here. We used to take our daughter when she was a baby/toddler to KidSpace, then always to swing by at Vroman to read books, buy books, check the stuffed animals, and just enjoy a smaller/more intimate/non-chain bookstore experience. They also had nice selection of international magazines (there and the magazine stand on Sunset near Chateau Marmont.) as my husband would get U.K music magazines and I would buy French magazines. Then we shopped at Target on Colorado then took Arroyo Parkway then the 101 home to South Pasadena.

I truly hope the bookstore survives, and the new owner won’t turn it to the Erewhon version of bookstore.

Old 03-05-2024, 07:27 PM

Quote:

I love the rare occasions that I've seen celebrities in bookstores. It makes me think better of them. There used to be a Barnes & Noble in Times Square, and I once saw Jeff Daniels in there, between the matinee and evening performance. The NYT just ran a great picture of Paul Giamatti kneeling by a shelf of books in a book store.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:52 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
It sounds as if the current owner is looking for a specific type of buyer.

“The institution, the store itself, deserves new energy, commitment, leadership into the new future. So I think it works to the advantage of the bookstore long-term that I try to find the right people to own it and carry it forward.”

So what do the right people look like? Sheldon III says a new owner must value the institution, the content of the books, and what all that means to customers in Southern California.

https://www.kcrw.com/news/shows/pres...n/joel-sheldon

Old 03-09-2024, 01:14 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
My mother recalled her parents taking her to Vroman's as a child. She loved reading and shopped there often despite the drive. She'd take us to Vroman's to pick out lovely hardbound gifts for our birthdays or Christmas. It was a coveted adventure. Some beloved childhood reads I chose to keep over the years have Vroman's stickers on the jackets. Whenever I spotted a Vroman's shopping bag on the family room table I knew we were in for another special treat. I certainly wish them well!

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-09-2024 at 01:31 PM..

Old 03-13-2024, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It sounds as if the current owner is looking for a specific type of buyer.
Which I think is wonderful! Far preferable to just selling to the first buyer or highest bidder. I'm just reading about how private equity companies have a buy-and-destroy pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles