Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2024, 03:45 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times

Advertisements

The LA Forum here has been quiet for a while, lots of people just posting trying to bash LA so I wanted to start a GOOD thread here and maybe learn a few things that I (and others) may not already know about LA.

What are some of your favorite places and/or things to do in LA? Things that are not on the tourist's "to do/see" list. I'll start:

Favorite Brunch spot - More Than Waffles in Encino. Hands down the best brunch in LA. Long wait on the weekends but you are sure to have some celebrity sightings each time. Best omelets and waffles ever.

Favorite after beach lunch spot - The Reel Inn restaurant on PCH just north of Topanga. Fresh caught local fish cooked to order. Cajun style with the fries are my favorite. I also like the seafood market at the Redondo Beach pier (Kings Harbor) for fresh broiled crab.

Favorite and coolest Thrift Store - Deseret Industries Thrift store in Vernon (across the street from the old Sears building) on Soto street.

Favorite hiking spot - Marvin Braude Gateway park trails. Located at the very southern most part of Reseda Blvd near Braemar Country Club. These trails lead to soooo many cool spots. Not crowded like other touristy spots where people need to take photos for their instagrams.

Place that transports me back to my youth - CA Museum of Science and Industry near USC/Exposition park. Always loved this place ever since elementary school field trips. Still, every time I go there I get that "Ratatouille" feeling from when I was a kid. The LaBrea Tar Pits come in a close second.

Best Smell in LA - By FAR its the smell of the water/ride at Disney's Pirates Of The Caribbean. People like to say that flowers, bacon, fresh baked bread are the best smells, but those who know, say that the Pirates of the Caribbean ride is the best smell ever.

Best casual/low key date night place - Universal Citywalk. Movies, restaurants, places to drink, shops to browse. Just cant beat it for a one-stop casual date night.

Best small venue for drinks and live music - Maui Sugar Mill Saloon in Tarzana. By far one of my favorite spots since Al's Bar in DTLA closed down. On any given night, you may find some great bands playing and unannounced performances by Foo Fighters, Joe Bonamassa, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2024, 04:50 PM

2,037 posts, read 992,671 times
Great thread.

I've always been reluctant to try More Than Waffles because of the line, but I may have to do it finally. Truth be told, though, inflation has taken the wind out of our sails for going out to breakfast, but when we do we usually end up at Emle's in Northridge.

Big fan of Sagebrush Cantina après beach (yeah, I live in the 818).

I love the trails up at the end of Reseda too. The one to the Nike Missile site is a perfect there-and-back morning hike. For a similar burn O'Melveny hits the spot. There's some cool trails in the verdugos too, off the 210, names escape me.

Music joints...we do like the Maui, though our tastes aren't really in that wheelhouse. The Canyon Club is an easy place to see a show too, not necessarily small. Ireland's 32 is decent. The new Write Off Room books some interesting things.

I'm a big fan of the Nethercutt Collection (museum) for cars and other amazing things and occasional events.

Morning workouts and an egg sandwich and coffee at Santa Anita.

Last edited by rokuremote; 04-08-2024 at 05:05 PM..

Old 04-08-2024, 09:45 PM

23,541 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I grew up in the Bay Area, and moved to the LA area at 18 to attend college. Spent most of my years there in the western San Gabriel Valley (Pasadena, South Pasadena) and the South Bay (Redondo Beach and El Segundo.)

Some of my favorite spots::

Small bar with live music:: The Red Lion Tavern in Silverlake. A German neighborhood bar with beers on tap, music and some decent food.

Place that takes me back to my early days in LA:: Manuel’s El Tepeyac Cafe, in Boyle Heights, for one of their gigantic burritos. A college friend introduced me to this place and I got hooked. Also, The Pantry Cafe in Downtown or the Pacific Dining Car Restaurant in Downtown (PCD is now closed.) I studied at the library late as a student and went to one of these 24/7 restaurants for a late night meal.

Casual Date Night:: Old Pasadena. Restaurants, bars, movies, shops, etc. Back in the early ‘80’s, it was Westwood Village, near UCLA. Westwood somehow lost its popularity in the late ‘80’s. Back in its heyday, it was a great date spot.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:14 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Funny how positive feel-good posts about LA get so few responses and/or interactions, but for posts bashing LA you get so many NON LA Natives and/or "I moved aways who still like to road the halls of the LA forums" commenting.

Old 04-11-2024, 01:01 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Funny how positive feel-good posts about LA get so few responses and/or interactions, but for posts bashing LA you get so many NON LA Natives and/or "I moved aways who still like to road the halls of the LA forums" commenting.
Well, I didn't respond because I live in OC, but if anyone visiting LA wants to come down this way, these are my recommendations:

Favorite Brunch spot - Urth Caffe in Laguna Beach. Sit outside and watch the supercars roll by on the weekend, then walk across PCH to Main Beach and explore the coves, or walk a couple of minutes to the cute art gallery/boutique area and be sure to get a cone at Gelato Paradiso.

Favorite after beach lunch spot - Ruby's on the pier at Newport Beach

Favorite hiking spot - Aliso & Wood Canyon for a taste of pre-suburban OC. Hills, woods, meadows, stream crossings, wildlife spotting, ocean views, you name it.

Place that transports me back to my youth - Knotts Berry Farm. Disneyland is overhyped, overpriced and a huge hassle, forget it, go to Knotts!

Best casual/low key date night place - Oliver's Osteria on Laguna Canyon Road. During the summer months stop in at the Sawdust Festival before or after, or cross the canyon road to the Main Art Festival. If you feel like splurging, get tickets (well ahead of time!) for the Pageant of the Masters, it's always fantastic. Or, of course, stroll down to the beach at sunset...

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 1,571 times
Eat

Old Today, 12:22 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
I make it a point(at my young age of 85) to roller skate in the Arroyo Seco bikeway in South Pasadena, which was recently built.
I skate there frequently, and love being there.
Also skate at the walkway to the new 6th street bridge.
Attached Thumbnails
What are some of your favorite places / things to do in LA (not touristy places)?-6509e01c4943e.preview.jpg   What are some of your favorite places / things to do in LA (not touristy places)?-362971752_661395592691646_2978501858602927192_n.jpg   What are some of your favorite places / things to do in LA (not touristy places)?-south-pasadena-news-10-05-2018   What are some of your favorite places / things to do in LA (not touristy places)?-18ttfjf4.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles