Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 03:39 PM

5,032 posts, read 5,713,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
Downtown LA is generally not a good place for tourists. People are not nice east of Grand St.

You can go to Downtown to eat in really good restaurants. They are not cheap, but food is tasteful. Reservations are suggested.
Bottega Louie - https://www.bottegalouie.com
Bavel, Bestia - https://baveldtla.com/

Grand Central is full of fast food. You can find it everywhere.

If you want to travel on Sunset Blvd, why wouldn't you drive in the opposite direction to Malibu?
I hear you on this, and from reputation and everything it definitely doesn't have a conventionally touristy, welcoming vibe-that being said, I am a lover of cities, urbanism, architecture, and even as LA is generally not known for walkability either (literally, I believe an iconic movie about LA is Nobody Walks in LA lol), I do like to check out the most walkable spots wherever I go, and just enjoy them for what they are-granted I'm not expecting Boston or something, but there are some cool looking buildings, stores, and streets in LA that I wouldn't mind checking out from that perspective.

The interior of the market does look really cool and atmospheric though-do you mean like there are a lot of regional chains inside Grand Central, or there is just a lot of fast serve food to be offered in side of there? Some of the vendors from the list: https://grandcentralmarket.com/vendors/ do look more interesting than others, but I am not sure if any are particularly renowned, as I'm unfamiliar with any of them listed. I will say, as a young family, we are more of fast casual, food hall type eaters, just because A) we are relatively budget conscious and B) our daughter's attention span, if we can get something quickly and keep her moving, it is typically better for all

To answer your other question-we are staying the previous night in SD, and driving up to LA-we really have 3 things on the docket for this day, besides making the drive up: 1) Touring SoFi Stadium (this is just my daughter and I as my wife will shop somewhere while I do this-I have done a couple of these tours in the past and because the group is generally moving, sometimes you get to run out on the field, sit in the lockers, etc, my daughter generally enjoys this too 2) This tour will get out around 2:30/3, so then we'd be looking for somewhere for a late lunch/early dinner and walk for a bit, which is why I mentioned Downtown and/or Echo Park/Silver Lake, because 3) Would be visiting Griffith Observatory, preferably in the early evening between like 6 and 7:30 or so. It's free, truly an iconic attraction I haven't been to, and right now my daughter loves space and planets (she asks me nightly before bed to go see Jupiter and the Moon, and then she'll go to sleep), then getting out of there over to where we are staying the next 2 nights near Burbank/Studio City.

I would consider going up toward Malibu/that portion of Sunset on the way out of town, for sure, although we may circumvent that to avoid traffic on that leg and get further up the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Definitely don't try to do all of this in one day with a 4-year-old.
Absolutely and well taken-I'm just trying to hash out somewhere (or 1-2 somewheres) that are neat and walkable to kill 2-3 hours, and grab food and/or a dessert that is either unique to or especially good in LA, in between touring SoFi in the early afternoon, and visiting Griffith Observatory in the early evening!

I've done some of the more basic tourist stuff, in that I've been to Rodeo Drive, the Grove/Original Farmers Market, Hollywood/Highland area, multiple times on multiple previous visits-not saying those are bad, I probably will hit at least one or two of those again the next day, our full day in town. But, want to check out somewhere a little different in the meantime.

Old 04-15-2024, 05:29 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,332,684 times
If you want cool classic architecture, start from the Apple store at 8th/Broadway and walk around.
If you go to the west, there are modern skyscrapers.

The area is definitely walkable.

---
Union Station is nice inside, but there are tent towns outside.

Last edited by vincenze; 04-15-2024 at 06:37 PM..

Old 04-16-2024, 12:40 PM

Quote:
If you want cool classic architecture, start from the Apple store at 8th/Broadway and walk around.

---
The Apple store looks absolutely incredible. I appreciate you sharing that with me, as honestly that seems like a pretty big example news-story wise of adaptive historic re-use, on a national level. It's also a good sign to see a "high end" retail business like Apple believing in Downtown LA.

As you say, west appears to be best as DTLA goes. Definitely, that stretch on 7th and 8th looks more put together and affluent than the stretch I had been previously looking at. Broadway appears to have a sort of "dead zone" that looks a bit rough/quiet between like 4th and 6th, almost where you get up to Grand Central Market itself, and the Bradbury Building. The actual experience can be something totally different, however, so it is possible the vibe there is totally fine, at least during day time. I also think there is some type of Sunday market on 5th, from my research which may help with activity levels.

It presents an interesting conundrum, because the more notable historic landmarks like Grand Central, Bradbury (which I would not be able to go inside if visiting on a Sunday though), the Theatres, etc. seem to be working more northbound from that Apple starting point, but at the same time, the better walk from a vibrancy, etc. perspective would seem to be west as you say. Have you ever done Angels Flight before, and is that cool, for someone that likes transit/urbanism? I'm sure it pales as a tourism attraction in comparison with riding the cable cars in San Francisco or taking the funicular in Pittsburgh, but at the same time, it seems like it might be neat.

Also, it sounds as though you are not very high on the vendors or the overall experience at Grand Central Market? Would we be unable to find some good street food style eats within there that would make even getting the counter serve food at somewhere like Whole Foods preferable? Or are there actually some decent vendors?

I do believe parking in Downtown Los Angeles might* be free on Sundays, so that might clear up some of our walking between places conundrum, if parking is ample enough. It's also only $5 to park at Grand Central Market's designated garage, and to tell you the truth, parking and grabbing something there in 30 minutes, then walking down toward Last Bookstore and Apple Store, and then doubling back and picking up the family, probably I could do worse than that so long as at least some of the vendors and vibe there is decent. I like checking out each city's primary market hall(s) when I visit: so unless it's something like Lexington Market in Baltimore where it's to be avoided, or something, I wouldn't mind giving it a try.
---
Is it truly that rough for the limited number of blocks between Olvera Street and Union Station, at the moment? (5 minutes/0.2 miles across that plaza to the street itself). From just taking it at surface, streetview level, this very much looks like my vibe. But, I understand this shot was taken in 2015, and may not at all reflect current realities of the world and LA in 2024.

Old 04-16-2024, 03:16 PM

26,829 posts, read 26,985,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theurbanfiles View Post
-Olvera Street (Old Los Angeles, basically-Union Station is across the street so I could see that lobby/exterior even with family in tow-I believe there are shops and etc. along the historic strip there-
You saw their website, right? Your little one would love it.

About us, getting there, events, etc.: https://elpueblo.lacity.gov/

https://www.discoverlosangeles.com/t...de-los-angeles

Old 04-16-2024, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Is it truly that rough for the limited number of blocks between Olvera Street and Union Station
I don't go there.
The last time I was there, it was empty with rats running around.
It may change for July 4th.

If you want Mexican souvenirs, cross the border.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:53 AM

Quote:
You saw their website, right? Your little one would love it.

About us, getting there, events, etc.: https://elpueblo.lacity.gov/

https://www.discoverlosangeles.com/t...de-los-angeles
These are nice links and describe the area well. Definitely a plus, that it looks like a few of the museums/historic structures around here including the Avila Adobe, and the Pico House, etc. are free and open to the public until 4 or 5. It looks like the marketplace is open until like 8, although in hearing from another poster, if we get there in the later afternoon at 3ish or so.. it would be pretty quiet by then. Not that that is a dealbreaker per se, just something to be aware of. As far as Mexican food places in the US go, it does seem like whether it's actually that good or not, that Cielito Lindo is something of a very influential historic institution. And even if the taquitos are of mid quality, I suppose I could always try one of those and supplement with a french dip from nearby at Philippe.

Old 04-17-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:

---
Speaking to this area you mentioned too, in digging a little further, if I were to start at the Apple Tower Theatre, go up 8th to Grand Avenue, then over to West 5th, I think it would be a relatively active, just under a mile total walk, that would include the abandoned looking but very storied looking Garfield Building, Wilshire Grand, Biltmore Hotel, LA Central Library, US Bank Tower, and end up at the Westin Bonaventure, which is a pretty decent list and variety of good structures in a short time frame. I also noticed Bottega Louie, which you recommended, is along that path. I'm open to going somewhere really good and unique that is sit down, my concern is just, with my daughter, that it is not overly stuffy on having a kiddo present, and not too time consuming.

Old 04-21-2024, 04:45 PM

26,829 posts, read 26,985,456 times
Quote:
...it sounds as though you are not very high on the vendors or the overall experience at Grand Central Market? Would we be unable to find some good street food style eats within there that would make even getting the counter serve food at somewhere like Whole Foods preferable?
This was in today's L.A. Times: "Grand Central Market represents a changing downtown. The food hall is a palace dedicated to local cuisine and L.A.’s cultural melting pot. One can still find tacos — Tacos Tumbras a Tomas has been serving up tortillas overflowing with meat for more than 50 years — but today one also will find gourmet oysters, creamy key lime pie, towers of mini pancakes, home-style Korean lunchboxes, sushi handrolls, fried chicken, smoked BBQ meats, pupusas, lobster rolls ... and that’s just a sampling.

But the reason Grand Central Market is a must-visit for any local or tourist isn’t just because it has stood for more than 100 years and features a smattering of our town’s finest upscale offerings. No, Grand Central Market, with its food stalls on top of food stalls, butting up against coffee stands, neon light installations and a beer stand, still feels like L.A. at its most democratized, where crowds jostle for inventive ice cream, loaded egg sandwiches and lofty pastrami sandwiches. Its abundant diversity and overflowing crowds result in something uniquely communal."

https://www.latimes.com/travel/list/...t-things-to-do

Old 04-22-2024, 05:03 PM

Quote:
This was in today's L.A. Times: [i]"Grand Central Market represents a changing downtown. The food hall is a palace dedicated to local cuisine and L.A.’s cultural melting pot. One can still find tacos
Are their tacos any better than everywhere else?
If he'll stay in Universal City, Cactus should be Ok.

El Compadre on Sunset Blvd would be even better.

As he stays many days in San Diego, Tijuana is close with its authentic food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles