Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 04:47 AM

5,032 posts, read 5,713,827 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I hope I'm not starting WWIII with this comment, lol. We will be in LA for 2 days upcoming this summer. This specific visit will be happening on a Sunday. With that said, if we were only to go to one of these areas, on a Sunday afternoon (because even still, I'm guessing parking is not cheap or easy, walking between the three doesn't seem to be the best, with a young family, and I'm not 100% on taking metro between, or the timeline that would take), which would you recommend and why?

-Grand Central (that is Grand Central Market, Last Bookstore, and maybe if it's open/safe, taking Angels Flight Railway)-this is maybe less original, perhaps? But the bookstore looks beautiful and super cool, and even though it's not ethnic or anything, this looks like the LA Urban Core's true civic heart. There's a few landmarks very close, here.

-Little Tokyo (I mean, it's literally just that, from what it seems, but in terms of eating, shops etc. that happen to be there-Grand Park is adjacent-but tbh, that's more the type of thing I'd come back for solo the morning before I head out and walk around-I LOVE architecture and urbanism, and not saying my other family members don't, but I would appreciate and have more of an ability to get between those places and structures-my wife is a fan of everything Japanese-culture, etc., however, I have heard this neighborhood is struggling, or almost "endangered" in terms of truly local authentic businesses, so this might be one to see before it's too late). There's also a new Ohtani mural up there from what I see.. so I bet that we'd get a pic of that too.. lol.

-Olvera Street (Old Los Angeles, basically-Union Station is across the street so I could see that lobby/exterior even with family in tow-I believe there are shops and etc. along the historic strip there-we also love Mexican food and loved our time in CDMX in 2018, maybe our favorite trip ever, so maybe a little nostalgia for that-also, if I was going full foodie mode, maybe I'd get a taquito on the street there and then maybe also opt for a French Dip from Philippe right there.

Again, I am being realistic, I think we will only be able to do 1. All three look pretty neat-but if you were passing through and only had time for one, which would you visit based on:
1) Sheer Uniqueness to LA 2) Quality/Price Point Value of Foodie Destinations There 3) Quality of touristic vibe/architecture around it, and likelihood it will last if we don't get back to LA for 5, 10 or more years.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2024, 05:05 AM

Also, if we decided on seeing the Grand Central Area, what is the best street to walk between Grand Central Market and Last Bookstore on? I know this is probably trivial, I mean it's like a 6 minute walk lol-but if we are only getting a relatively short time frame to get an impression of this portion of DTLA if we go with this area, is Spring or Broadway here more active/vibrant and aesthetic for the walk between? I do see that the Bradbury Building is close here, though given it's limited Sunday opening hours, I think I may be out of luck on seeing the inside of that.

Old 04-13-2024, 03:40 PM

4,581 posts, read 5,458,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theurbanfiles View Post
Hello!

I hope I'm not starting WWIII with this comment, lol. We will be in LA for 2 days upcoming this summer. This specific visit will be happening on a Sunday. With that said, if we were only to go to one of these areas, on a Sunday afternoon (because even still, I'm guessing parking is not cheap or easy, walking between the three doesn't seem to be the best, with a young family, and I'm not 100% on taking metro between, or the timeline that would take), which would you recommend and why?

-Grand Central

-Little Tokyo

-Olvera Street ............................... then maybe also opt for a French Dip from Philippe right there.

Again, I am being realistic, I think we will only be able to do 1. All three look pretty neat-but if you were passing through and only had time for one, which would you visit based on:
1) Sheer Uniqueness to LA 2) Quality/Price Point Value of Foodie Destinations There 3) Quality of touristic vibe/architecture around it, and likelihood it will last if we don't get back to LA for 5, 10 or more years.

Thanks all!
Actually, you could do all three within a few hours. Not sure how much time you have but you could have breakfast/brunch at Grand Central, then walk a couple of blocks to the bookstore. After perusing the bookstore, its a 5-8 minute walk to Little Tokyo. You can enjoy some Mochi there while walking around then you can an Uber or Dash over to Olvera Street. It's so close that it'll only cost you less than $10.00 if you decide to Uber it there.

Philippe's is a little farther away so its not possible to walk there. You can still Dash or Uber it.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Actually, you could do all three within a few hours. Not sure how much time you have but you could have breakfast/brunch at Grand Central, then walk a couple of blocks to the bookstore. After perusing the bookstore, its a 5-8 minute walk to Little Tokyo. You can enjoy some Mochi there while walking around then you can an Uber or Dash over to Olvera Street. It's so close that it'll only cost you less than $10.00 if you decide to Uber it there.

Philippe's is a little farther away so its not possible to walk there. You can still Dash or Uber it.
So for the day in question-figure on about between 3 PM and 6 PM, on a Sunday. That's good to know, my question is this, and I don't mean this to come off as insensitive, I don't think we scare easy, and we love cities-but a few of the blocks, even in some stretches between Grand Central and LAST Bookstore, but esp between LAST and Little Tokyo, just look sorta quiet/bleak, and not too much activity going on, and I can only guess that would be more true on a Sunday afternoon, not a weekday. Though perhaps I'm off on that and there's a good walking route through that.

I'm not opposed to taking the metro through downtown and between those 3, either, if the logistics worked out okay. But, I am traveling with my wife and 4 y/o daughter, so my risk tolerance, and wanting the vibe to feel decent to good is more important, than if I just go into downtown on a separate trip one morning for architecture hopping and the like while the rest of the family sleeps in-I am about 2 miles from the Universal/Studio City station which I could take in solo. We have taken public transit, as a family, in Boston, Washington DC, Minneapolis, I am not sure how the feel and vibe on the LA Metro, downtown of course, would compare to that.

It's conceivable if there's a decent walking trip in between that you'd recommend, that we'd grab a bite at Grand Central, walk over to Last, and then walk over to somewhere in Little Tokyo (Nijiya or elsewhere), or Mochi or Black Sesame Ice cream, and then, that on another of our two mornings in town, I'd ride the metro in early, solo, walk around Grand Park area and Olvera Street and take it in, and grab Philippe's.

I guess I'm just wondering which of the 3 would offer an authentic, urbane LA experience, but one with which it would perhaps feel *relatively* less gritty-operative word, again, I don't mind, but would also have things to look at and feel unique, but also relatively safe and active (food shopping, etc.) in close range to where it would keep my wife and daughter that aren't architectural/urbanist aficionados entertained... while also not being South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa lol.

Old 04-15-2024, 10:59 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,332,684 times
If your wife admires Japanese culture, it would be better to visit the Huntington Library in San Marino.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/1A9ZMXjwgjzFejwp8

It has a typical Japanese park with a pond, bridges, houses, bells, also a bonsai park.

In addition, it has a Chinese park, Mexican cactus park.

If you skip the museums, you should be able to enjoy it for a few hours. It closes at 5.
---
Little Tokyo is just a few blocks with Asian-style restaurants and shops.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:08 AM

If your time is limited, visit Yamashiro. It's close to Universal City.
The views are excellent.

You don't have to eat there.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/FF7tYGsXYiPCXSAX8

Old 04-15-2024, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
If your wife admires Japanese culture, it would be better to visit the Huntington Library in San Marino.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/1A9ZMXjwgjzFejwp8

It has a typical Japanese park with a pond, bridges, houses, bells, also a bonsai park.

In addition, it has a Chinese park, Mexican cactus park.

If you skip the museums, you should be able to enjoy it for a few hours. It closes at 5.
---
Little Tokyo is just a few blocks with Asian-style restaurants and shops.
It does look like a really solid destination. Pasadena in general does. And, while I did attend the 2010 Rose Bowl/Tournament of Roses parade, I was only 18 then and didn't have the level of passion for urban exploring, architecture, etc. that I do now. It is modestly further afield than downtown though, and I'm figuring we will need to eat at some point, that's all, and while I'm probably not the best person to talk on "cramming in too much" as that is my middle name as you've noticed from my other posts lol, besides the passion I have for urbanism, it does look like downtown places like Little Tokyo, Olvera Street, and Grand Central, are sort of directly "on the path" towards Griffith. Not saying I'm ruling out your suggestion one iota, though.

For whatever it's worth, and I don't know how much that is, it looks like getting off directly adjacent to downtown, but instead, driving up Sunset Blvd through Echo Park, Silver Lake and Los Feliz would actually be the "most efficient" thing we could do-but I'm not sure if there are a few really recommendable sights and/or cheap and good local eats that we could hit going that way. The Echo Park Time Travel Mart looks like a sorta kitsch tourist thing, but at the same time, different, and something I think even my kiddo might really enjoy. I could always hit up DTLA a different morning by metro for my architectural looks, as mentioned above.

Edit: Echo Park Lake and Vista Hermosa Park both look like places with decent views, and nice place for short walk. Are they?

Old 04-15-2024, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
If your time is limited, visit Yamashiro. It's close to Universal City.
The views are excellent.

You don't have to eat there.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/FF7tYGsXYiPCXSAX8
That place looks awesome. I think especially for perhaps our one actual full day in Downtown-We will basically be in LA:

11:30 AM or so on, on Day 1
All Day on Day 2
Until about 10 AM on Day 3

I appreciate that recommendation!

Old 04-15-2024, 01:52 PM

Downtown LA is generally not a good place for tourists. People are not nice east of Grand St.

You can go to Downtown to eat in really good restaurants. They are not cheap, but food is tasteful. Reservations are suggested.
Bottega Louie - https://www.bottegalouie.com
Bavel, Bestia - https://baveldtla.com/

Grand Central is full of fast food. You can find it everywhere.

If you want to travel on Sunset Blvd, why wouldn't you drive in the opposite direction to Malibu?

Old 04-15-2024, 02:03 PM

26,829 posts, read 26,985,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theurbanfiles View Post
I am traveling with my wife and 4 y/o daughter
Definitely don't try to do all of this in one day with a 4-year-old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles