Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 9,576 times

Advertisements

I live in a condo building and I've become behind on my HOA assessments (they raised them by $100 in January so it has really stretched my budget). They liened the property in March, so I worked out a payment plan with the Board and was late on my last payment by 2 weeks. They sent me a letter this week that I had lost all my privileges (package acceptance, pool access, they even disconnected my Directv which I pay Directv directly for). I am very good at keeping in contact with them so I sent them a letter acknowledging that I was late and that I mailed all past due amounts plus June assessment so I am now current. Today, I look on the property management website at my statement to see that they have charged me $250 to retain an attorney plus $100 'Attorney prep package fee'. I also see that they changed my mailing address to an attorney's that deals with collecting assessments and foreclosures. Well, now I'm freaking out. Even though I have paid can they proceed with foreclosure? Or is this the first step the HOA is using to collect? Also, now that I am current and plan to stay that way, when do they decide to remove the lien?

Thanks

Jan

Last edited by v12condo; 06-05-2008 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 01:43 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
i would imagine that if you can come up with your back dues then they will drop the charges. it does nobody any good keep racking up fees that won't ever be collected anyways. maybe you should borrow some money from family or a friend to get yourself caught up. then, make sure this never happens again.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:14 PM

I am current, all past due and current assessments were paid this week.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:47 PM

153 posts, read 312,399 times
Default Foreclosures

They can place a lien against the property, but only your mortgage can be foreclosed upon.

First I would talk to them and see if they just jumped the gun and will remove the charges. If not, then you should probably get your own attorney, one who specializes in real estate. Do you have a copy of your HOA contract and/or rules? Normally the proceedures are spelled out in the contract.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:02 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
What they did was illegal (the DirectTV thing) and you have the right to sue them. But thank you for highlighting exactly why condos or any property with an HOA is a bad idea.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:44 PM

I spoke to the property management company today and they said my account had been sent to the Attorney for collection (no foreclosure, phew). I'm waiting for the attorney to call me back, but I am going to pursue the fact that the HOA retained the law firm after I sent them a letter telling them I mailed a check for the past due amounts and that my current assessment would follow and that I'm not paying the attorney fees. I'm also going to tell them that I will pursue my own legal advise for the disconnecting of my Directv service. Thanks for your advice and wish me luck. HOA are a nightmare!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:18 PM

39 posts, read 176,437 times
It should state in your bylaws when they can send you to collections, its either a time (that you have an outstanding balance) or an amount. Per the bylaws that you agreed to when you move in they automatically send you to collections. Correspondance is good, but the HOA lose money when people are past due. Habitual past due accounts raise maintenance fees, because the bills still have to get paid.
Were you assessed late fees, and did you pay those late fees?
Generally, the HOA won't consider you "paid up" until you pay the legal fees. The HOA is billed those by the lawyer just to write you a letter. They dont get that money, it goes right to the lawyer. You can certainly dispute them, but in the meantime, PAY THEM. If you don''t it'll show up as an outstanding balance all over again. If you dispute it, and they agree, it can be credited, but as long as you have an outstanding balance, you'll just seem like a deadbeat, esp if you have a pattern of lateness.
As for the direct tv thing, that sucks. But check your by-laws, if they put them in there, then they would be following standard operating procedure. Sure, you could try to fight it in court, but generally lawyer WRITE the bylaws, so I'd be really careful before investing any money hoping for a big pay out.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles