Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 02:43 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,712 times

Advertisements

Well, I think we have been fortunate this year to have had below normal temperatures especially for this time of year. It is the middle of June and in my area we have barely missed reaching 90. As a matter of fact, 88-89 has been the highest so far this year. Temperatures have been in the 70s and 80s in May and June. The thing is though that 90 in LA is pretty bearable. Now 93 and humid, well that's a whole different story. I'll take this mild June weather because I know that it will warm up come July and August. Even September tends to be hot. I remember last year in late September the temperature reached 105 degrees. Talk about HOT for that time of year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 03:54 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Well, I think we have been fortunate this year to have had below normal temperatures especially for this time of year. It is the middle of June and in my area we have barely missed reaching 90. As a matter of fact, 88-89 has been the highest so far this year. Temperatures have been in the 70s and 80s in May and June. The thing is though that 90 in LA is pretty bearable. Now 93 and humid, well that's a whole different story. I'll take this mild June weather because I know that it will warm up come July and August. Even September tends to be hot. I remember last year in late September the temperature reached 105 degrees. Talk about HOT for that time of year!
Here in Pasadena it has hardly even hit 90F [maybe a few days] and the afternoons have been quite comfortable [70's\80's]. This has been a very cool spring for California. I agree that the worst period of heat is between July thru September but even October is hot compared to most parts of the U.S. The "second summer" of autumn produce the hottest temperatures of the year and even November can easily reach 90F. For me the worst part of the year for heat & humidity is July to September. The wind changes direction in late September and the air dries out but it also gets very hot at times.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:52 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,712 times
And another thing is that although June-November can have many warm to hot days, it still is more comfortable than summer weather in the Midwest and Northeast because of the lower humidity. I mean LA summers are not much different in the inland areas compared to places like Phoenix, Tucson or Palm Springs because of the dryness in the air. the only thing we don't get is summer thunderstorms. The three cities I mentioned tend to be just a little bit hotter in the summer that is really one of the few differences. Woodland Hills is most probably the hottest part of LA in the summer. Temperatures of 110+ degrees are not unheard of.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
And another thing is that although June-November can have many warm to hot days, it still is more comfortable than summer weather in the Midwest and Northeast because of the lower humidity. I mean LA summers are not much different in the inland areas compared to places like Phoenix, Tucson or Palm Springs because of the dryness in the air. the only thing we don't get is summer thunderstorms. The three cities I mentioned tend to be just a little bit hotter in the summer that is really one of the few differences. Woodland Hills is most probably the hottest part of LA in the summer. Temperatures of 110+ degrees are not unheard of.
Woodland Hills and the entire west San Fernando valley is horrible during summer. Most of the worst heat in Los Angeles is in that area; they regularly reach near 100F

Old 06-15-2010, 10:44 PM

12 posts, read 27,032 times
The fact that this thread was started two years ago, and is still going, is ridiculous.

There are things that suck about LA, but the weather is absolutely, positively, not one of them.

To quote Mr. Fantastic: "This thread lacks validity."

Old 06-16-2010, 08:54 PM

25 posts, read 62,007 times
When it comes to LA, there're only two types of people, people who hate LA and people who've never been to LA

Old 06-16-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petion2000 View Post
When it comes to LA, there're only two types of people, people who hate LA and people who've never been to LA
Generally the two go hand and hand. The worse haters often live in the Midwest or the South and have an ax to grind against Los Angeles and California in general.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:24 AM

427 posts, read 1,093,050 times
I never did the wedge. I never earned my rank in most of the spots and got kicked out by locals. I thought I'd go to "dog beach" were I figured I wouldn't get hassled. WRONG, a group of toddlers kicked me out of that place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The water temps don't bother me all that much but if you are board surfing it can be very uncomfortable even in summer sometimes. Being in and out of the water while sitting on a board in 65F temps [both water & air] is just too cold unless a person has a wetsuit. I mostly swim\ body surf so being in the water\waves is more comfortable. Did you ever swim\ body surf at the "Wedge" in Newport Beach? Some of the most exciting waves anywhere in the world but also dangerous.

I love the year-long warm water of Florida but no waves to speak of. Puerto Rico has better surf for some reason.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:12 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Woodland Hills and the entire west San Fernando valley is horrible during summer. Most of the worst heat in Los Angeles is in that area; they regularly reach near 100F

Yes, Woodland Hills is scorching in summer in comparison to other parts of LA.

To keep in perspective, I have lived in NYC and Wash.,D.C....and let me tell you:

I'll take a summer in Woodland Hills over either of those places..ALL DAY LONG. The days and nights are far more pleasant. Those northeast summers are just miserable....

Old 06-17-2010, 12:28 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Default Devoid of substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by petion2000 View Post
Clever rhetoric, but devoid of substance. If you read these threads where people are arguing about Los Angeles, then you know that there are plenty of people who live here and love it. (I am one of them, and I've posted detailed reasons before, so I'll omit them here.)

It would be closer to the truth to say that people either hate or love L.A.; there doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground, or at least the luke-warm folks don't seem motivated to post about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles