Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:27 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,314,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
First of all, Los Angeles is in a desert. Deserts are defined as areas that get less than X inches of rain per year. You are mistaken if you expect LA to have much rain.

We do have some of the most temperate and moderate weather in the entire US, and in my own opinion LA has the best weather in the nation.

So quit yer bitching and either enjoy it or move, unless you're one of those people who can't move, the prison population or living with mommy and not yet 18 years old.

Actually, LA is not a desert. Deserts get less than 10" of rain per year. LA averages 15".

"The city is situated in a Mediterranean climate or Dry-Summer Subtropical zone (Köppen climate classification Csb on the coast, Csa inland), USDA Zones 8-11, experiencing mild, somewhat wet winters and warm to hot summers." (Los Angeles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 11:45 PM

82 posts, read 520,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
LA is so beautiful with those palm trees, mountains etc. but the weather sucks, this might be shocking for you.

IT'S TOO DRY! OMG I feel sorry for the plants, trees etc. it's too dry!
The weather would be the best if the city had more rainfall, 380 mm yearly precip. is too little... around 500 mm would be perfect!
Specially in the summer.... it doesn't even rain... it's boring without any rain lol
I live really close to the beach near SW L.A. The heavier waves shake my windows. Several of us gather in the afternoon there, some with dogs, to visit. As we do, we are continually distracted by the awesome view of Santa Monica Bay and Palos Verdes, the cool breeze, and the fresh smell coming from the ocean. I've lived in many parts of this nation and the world. I've lived in some of the worst humidity in the world and I won't again. I've never experienced anything as comfortable as the climate here. Really funny how friends and relatives who have moved to other parts of the nation ask how I can live in sh*tty old L.A. I have L.A. if I need it but 99.99% of the time I'm barefoot right here.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:56 PM

1,177 posts, read 458,004 times
I love the weather in LA!! It helps a lot with my skin. It tends to be dry and has to be moisturized constantly. Living in vegas doesn't help but, when I am in the LA area, my skin feels so much better!
It's definitely not a dry climate.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:02 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,286,562 times
Quote:
LA is so beautiful with those palm trees, mountains etc. but the weather sucks, this might be shocking for you.

The weather would be the best if the city had more rainfall, 380 mm yearly precip. is too little... around 500 mm would be perfect!
Specially in the summer.... it doesn't even rain... it's boring without any rain lol
It would be a stretch to say the L.A. weather sucks even with some very hot days in the valley areas. However, I don't think the great weather should justify the 300-400% mark-up on home prices, maybe 200%.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:45 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,391,386 times
Quote:

The weather is great in LA. If you want to experience "dry" weather then come to Utah. On average, I go through a bottle of lotion every week because of how dry it is.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:50 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,837,689 times
I think this poster is just having fun with us...

With that said, I am also from northern NJ and I do miss having seasons. I think that's pretty standard...many people who make the move feel this way. Not all, obviously, and some people move specifically for the SoCal weather.

By comparison to the northeast, yes, LA is dry. By comparison to some surrounding areas and some areas mentioned in this post, no, it's not dry. Try Parump, NV. (Not sure how to spell that.) Holy hell. I thought I was going to come out of there looking like either a mummy or a light-colored prune.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:51 AM

1,994 posts, read 4,843,470 times
L.A has a semi-arid climate,so their isn't much rainfall,but the area is rather green though,and L.A is not as dry as places in the Central Valley and Deserts of California.

If you truly like rainfall,you should try living up in Western Washington

Quote:

Old 06-06-2008, 07:26 AM

4,138 posts, read 11,442,052 times
It is just EAST, not "right."

I am so sick of people saying, "Oh, you came from the LEFT side of the country, with the leftists and such a good place to have LEFT!"

Good grief! This is one reason I want to move back.....the views by East, esp. the South East of the West Coast is so over the top.

Sorry, you hit a nerve there!~

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
On the east coast, summer rains are warm and quite pleasant. On this side of the Rockies, wet means cold but it's completely different on the other side of those mountains. Warm summer rain is one of the things I truly miss about the right side of the country.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:55 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,049,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
and the mosquitos that go with it?
When I say East Coast, I mean the coast, not 20 miles inland. If I can't smell the sea, I don't consider it to be on the coast.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:59 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,470,759 times
Um I would take LA weather over this humid swelter in Memphis ANY DAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles