Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 06:14 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times

Advertisements

People who get nostalgic for four seasons think they had exactly that - four seasons - but really look back with a critical eye. When were seasons ever "normal" per the calendar in the northeast or midwest?

Spring might be warm. Or it might be freezing-cold. You might wear short sleeves. Or you might get dumped on with snow in April...out of nowhere. It might rain cats and dogs, or it might be overcast for days and days on end...or it might be suddenly sunny and "too hot for spring!" on a freak 70-degree day...with people complaining about THAT. LOL.

Summer - usually...warm. Then all of a sudden it's "too hot" for a number of days and all the newscasts are warning people not to stay outside without water or they might just drop dead. Then all of a sudden a rainy "freezing" day, or two, or seven.

Autumn...GORGEOUS for...a few days. Or a couple weeks. Or no days or weeks at all. "It's too hot - it's Indian summer." Then, "My God, yesterday was 65F and today it's 45! What on earth is happening, this weather is so weird!" No it's not, be honest, it's probably normal. Meanwhile, the trees are turning color "too early - what's going on?" or "too late - what's going on?" And then of course everything plunges in late autumn to frigidville.

Winter...a freak "early" snowstorm..."It's too early for this!" Or there's too much snow overall. "This is a killer winter!" Or the opposite - "When on earth are we going to get snow? I wanted a white Christmas."

I love the northeast. I miss it. Don't get me wrong. But this whole vision of "four seasons" is seriously blurred when you're actually living there. And nothing ever seems to turn out picture-perfect. And yet every single year people are surprised by this, LOL. In 38 years these were the patterns...or lack of them, that I experienced. Nothing ever just like the calendar, nothing ever predictable, and nothing falling "seasonably" in place. Just a lot of unpredictability.

For those who haven't experienced "four seasons," it's just not really what you think, when you're actually living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
On the east coast, summer rains are warm and quite pleasant. On this side of the Rockies, wet means cold but it's completely different on the other side of those mountains. Warm summer rain is one of the things I truly miss about the right side of the country.
On the east coast, summer rains are generally T-storms and contain torrential rain and flood basements left, right and center, LOL.

I don't mind the rain, personally...just thought I would point that out.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Revisiting this topic after such a long time, but... Think about it. I posted that in 2008. How much May gray or June gloom have you seen since then?

Yeah, sure, we have a few gloomy days in May and June (not over yet) but how many overcast days do you recall in recent Mays and Junes?

It's spooky!
Yes, this is weird. When I moved out here 9 years ago, all anybody talked about in late spring was My Gray and June Gloom. And we had that a couple of times and then...poof.

We definitely didn't have it this year, we had a few 100 degree days in April here somewhat inland, yikes!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:13 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
LA's climate is amazing. I dont know how anyone could really complain about it, unless they love 4 solid seasons.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:02 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,786,614 times
Been way too little rain the last 4-5 years.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:41 AM

8,326 posts, read 6,417,109 times
Workers are putting a new roof on a neighbors house. The forecast in the San Fernando Valley is 105 today and tomorrow. I feel sorry for illegal aliens sometimes.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:34 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
LA's climate is amazing. I dont know how anyone could really complain about it, unless they love 4 solid seasons.
I complain because I like 4 seasons. And the seasons don't have to be extreme, either -- but they should be noticeable and of proper duration. Summer-like weather for about 8 months out of the year is absurd.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:42 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
"Pathetic winters?" I'll take sunny and cool over snow and ice ANY day.
Too often our winters are sunny and warm though, with several hot days mixed in when the Santa Ana's kick up. When it's 85 degrees on Christmas Day that's crazy. And I don't necessarily like blizzard-like weather conditions; but I do like rain and cool temps -- and some snow now and then is nice.

I think, for me, Southern Colorado/Northern New Mexico would be ideal; it does get warm and sometimes hot in the summer, but summer does know when to vacate and make room for fall and then winter. They get enough snow and cold to make it feel wintry but not so much that you feel like you are in Chicago or Bismark.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:48 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,244,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Best weather for people who like long, hot summers, pathetic winters, and barely noticeable spring and fall seasons.

But this place sucks for people that like actual seasons with the expected weather and temperature shifts within those seasons. But LA is basically 8 months of summer.
Pathetic winters sound wonderful to me. I live in Kansas City and there is nothing I hate more than December through February in Kansas City. Cold/snow/ice - yuck. I'd take LA weather over that any day. Long, hot summer and the rest of the time warmish and never really cold - .

I would miss wind and thunderstorms. I love Kansas City falls because the humidity is gone but it's still warm (and windy - which again, I'd miss) - which I figure LA is like a lot anyway.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I complain because I like 4 seasons. And the seasons don't have to be extreme, either -- but they should be noticeable and of proper duration. Summer-like weather for about 8 months out of the year is absurd.
It isn't absurd for SoCal...or for a lot of the planet... :shrug: Why would it be absurd? There are all different climates across the globe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles