Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:25 PM

26 posts, read 99,012 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I have already posted on here about my move from Austin, TX to Pasadena to attend Art Center College of Design. I have been given some great advice on where in Pasadena is nice to live, but i feel like i was slightly overly confident that i would be able to find a reasonably priced place around the old Pasadena area.

I am looking to spend at max, $1200 a month for a studio/1 bedroom apartment, but closer to $1,000 a month if possible. I understand that if i have a roommate, my options will open up more, but i literally do not know anyone in Los Angeles yet, and i don't know if i am the kind of person to totally move in with someone i have no idea about.

I am planning to fly into LA during the second week of July with my mom to find an apartment, and then i am driving my belongings and what not from Texas at the end of July.

I was just seeing if anyone had any tips on finding apartments other than craigslist? I am having trouble sifting through everything and finding reasonable places to live and was just wondering if anyone could offer some advice. Should i just spend a day or two driving around the area and walking into complexes asking prices and availability?

Also, could someone shed some light on the other close areas around Pasadena proper for me? South Pas, Eagle Rock, Alhambra, Altadena, Highland Park?

Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 12:09 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Your school in Pasadena may be able to help you locate. Also Cal Tech has many students who live near that campus and Fuller Seminary is nearly downtown Pasadena & has tips on student housing. The Art Center of Design is in the foothills near the Rose Bowl & is mostly houses but I bet people rent apartments in the area also [ie pool houses].

Eagle Rock is close by & should have reasonable rents. It is a safe area though less lively than Pasadena [esp Old Town]. West Pasadena & Altadena are close to your school & also have apartments for rent though some neighborhoods can be a little rough.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:24 AM

7 posts, read 28,783 times
Default your move

worked all around the area for years..

South Pas really good but expensive, Eagle Rock parts are safe and then really not safe.. be sure to check out the area, Alhambra to Pasadena you will hit traffic. , Altadena stay at a NW area, Highland Park stay away.

You might find better luck in the Monrovia, Arcadia area. There are some really nice parts of town that are not to expensive. You might want to look into renting a back house from someone.

The down fall to moving up this area is that you will have to leave a little early as to heavier traffic.

good luck

Old 06-08-2008, 10:38 AM

31 posts, read 133,681 times
I would contact your school and see if they can provide any assistance in pointing you in the right direction. Even if they can't provide you with housing, per se, most schools at least can direct you to buildings that have been popular with students in the past, and some even have housing websites or message boards where students can exchange tips and hook up with potential roommates. If you go that route, at least you know you'll have something in common with whoever you room with.

Craigslist is a good resource. If you feel like you're not finding what you want on there or are feeling overwhelmed, there's always Westside Rentals. They charge a fee, but the listings are a bit more organized. But really, if you are able to visit, there is no substitute for being able to drive around and get a feel for areas. In L.A. it seems that there are many places for rent that are never advertised, except for a sign on the building, so you just might stumble upon something perfect that way. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:07 PM

Cool. Yeah, i've contacted my school about it, and they have a list they send out of available places close by, but they didn't seem like very good deals, more towards the high end actually, even compared to craigslist.

Yeah, hopefully just driving around will end up being the thing to do, it just might take a long time asking lots of complexes what their rates are.

any other tips are greatly appreciated!

Old 06-11-2008, 10:14 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,797 times
I moved from TX to SoCal 15 plus years ago (damn that makes me fee old) and have settled in South Pasadena. If you can find an affordable place in South Pas go for it, quite a few texans in this little town. When I moved out here a friend of mine from ut was at the art center and he lived in Pasadena near Pasadena City College. There are lots of apartments in the area around PCC and CalTech and that would be a good area to look.

Good luck in your search, LA in July sure beats TX.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
I moved from TX to SoCal 15 plus years ago (damn that makes me fee old) and have settled in South Pasadena. If you can find an affordable place in South Pas go for it, quite a few texans in this little town. When I moved out here a friend of mine from ut was at the art center and he lived in Pasadena near Pasadena City College. There are lots of apartments in the area around PCC and CalTech and that would be a good area to look.

Good luck in your search, LA in July sure beats TX.
sweet, thanks for the help.

Maybe someone could help me figure out the boundaries of south pasadena, i can't seem to figure out where it ends and begins on google maps. THere seems to be a big area between Monterey Rd and Huntington Drive that isn't really labelled, is that considered South Pas?

Also, if i look in Eagle Rock, where should i look around, and where should i stay away from? I think i heard someone mention that i should stay north of York Blvd, any other advice?

thanks!

Old 06-15-2008, 08:14 PM

100 posts, read 544,073 times
South Pasadena is Garfield Avenue (E), Arroyo Drive (W), Alhambra Road (S), and Columbia Street (N). Those are the general boundaries.

North of York refers to Highland Park... for Eagle Rock the best areas are north of Colorado and west of Eagle Rock Boulevard. The rest is a bit sketchy as it's close to Highland Park...

Old 06-16-2008, 06:46 AM

689 posts, read 2,581,797 times
The area between Monterey Road and Huntington Drive is South Pasadena if you are north of Avenue 60, south of that is LA. Check the zip code, all of South Pas is 91030. If you are looking at the apartments in the Monterey Hills off of Via Marisol that's a nice patch up there. For Eagle Rock the area right around Eagle Rock Blvd and Colorado Blvd is nice.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:58 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,388 times
You can live in Pasadena for that much, easily. I found my sister a little house with a yard, patio and garage for 850. This is exceptional and I halfway looked for a few weeks. <b>Don't rent anything sight unseen</b>. You can get close to Old Pas (which you'll probabaly dig) for reasonable. I've found the best apartments on Craigslist, I'm not fond of Westside Rentals. Just my opinion.

There are 16 apartments in your price range in Pasadena listed just today from the 700's. Feel free to ask if the area is any good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfattack View Post
Hi everyone.

I have already posted on here about my move from Austin, TX to Pasadena to attend Art Center College of Design. I have been given some great advice on where in Pasadena is nice to live, but i feel like i was slightly overly confident that i would be able to find a reasonably priced place around the old Pasadena area.

I am looking to spend at max, $1200 a month for a studio/1 bedroom apartment, but closer to $1,000 a month if possible. I understand that if i have a roommate, my options will open up more, but i literally do not know anyone in Los Angeles yet, and i don't know if i am the kind of person to totally move in with someone i have no idea about.

I am planning to fly into LA during the second week of July with my mom to find an apartment, and then i am driving my belongings and what not from Texas at the end of July.

I was just seeing if anyone had any tips on finding apartments other than craigslist? I am having trouble sifting through everything and finding reasonable places to live and was just wondering if anyone could offer some advice. Should i just spend a day or two driving around the area and walking into complexes asking prices and availability?

Also, could someone shed some light on the other close areas around Pasadena proper for me? South Pas, Eagle Rock, Alhambra, Altadena, Highland Park?

Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

josh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles