Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:30 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Both LA4ever and LAquests have asked valid questions, but City-data.com and its moderators have ruled that threads about immigration and specifically illegal immigration belong elsewhere. I believe that these topics are so integral to understanding Los Angeles demographics that I gingerly will attempt to shed light. Sandyco, keep a ringside seat if I cross the line.
I'm in awe from your entire post Fastfilm. Your commentary is one of the best posts I've ever read at City-Data, and it cut right to the heart of the problem. Needless to say I'll hit the rep button after my post, not that it would be adequate acclaim. Good post! Right on! That's exactly the problem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laquests View Post
Thank you for your reply. You are a treasure trove of the kind of historical and current info that I joined this forum to find. First: When i post my motive is not to vent about immigration. I am not a "hater" merely a "questor" I want to understand a historic process. As you say, there is no way to understand the present conditions of LA.- city nd county without talking about immigration. Thank you for the history lesson.
I agree. Unfortunately the forum software says I have given too much rep to Fastfilm already. I hope others will be encouraged to hit the rep button.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:34 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
<raises hand> I gave Fastfilm a rep earlier this evening for her very balanced and informative post.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:38 PM

Thanks Sandy. It's good to know that an excellent post receives the acclaim that it deserves. And Fastfilm is right. I understand that CD wants to redirect all illegal immigration issues to another forum area. Unfortunately you cannot adequately address or understand the problems of Los Angeles without addressing the issues of illegal immigration, as Fastfilm pointed out. Illegal immigration is integral to an understanding of the social and economic issues affecting modern day Los Angeles. To ignore illegal immigration is to ignore the elephant in the tent.

I don't expect CD to change policy on this ruling but I think some rethinking is overdue. IMO.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:38 PM

38 posts, read 148,084 times
Default be careful

that area has experienced more than one gang problem lately with several shootings

Old 06-10-2008, 09:46 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
Lovehound, to clarify C-D's position about illegal immigration, as you know, the powers that be decided to segregate the illegal immigration rants to one particular portion of City-Data. This is directly because every thread, especially in the negative L.A. threads, was disintegrating into illegal immigration discussions. While it certainly is a big problem, reading such posts gets tiresome. In particular, I'm referring to the posts that are not nearly as balanced as Fastfilm's, but are more of a dumping and foaming at the mouth diatribe that goes nowhere.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Lovehound, to clarify C-D's position about illegal immigration, as you know, the powers that be decided to segregate the illegal immigration rants to one particular portion of City-Data. This is directly because every thread, especially in the negative L.A. threads, was disintegrating into illegal immigration discussions. While it certainly is a big problem, reading such posts gets tiresome. In particular, I'm referring to the posts that are not nearly as balanced as Fastfilm's, but are more of a dumping and foaming at the mouth diatribe that goes nowhere.
I already addressed that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't expect CD to change policy on this ruling but I think some rethinking is overdue. IMO.
Repeating, I don't expect CD to change the policy, but understanding illegal immigration issues is vital to understanding the most pressing problem facing modern day Los Angeles. To ignore it is to ignore the elephant in the tent.

So glad that LA's immigration issues for me will be merely an intellectual concept in 2-4 years. I don't envy those who expect to live here after that.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:16 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,486 times
I appreciate the plaudits (and will try to remember same when others contradict what, after all, are my longtime, firsthand observations alongside a few statistics,etc.) but I always remember what the purpose of this entire forum is: first hand observations and advice for relocators.

I found this site looking to fact-check the next place to which we think we want to move (yes, we're bailing in 3 years the nanosecond my husband retires. Over 50 years here is about 35 too many. 'Can't afford it, 'feel its changes are for the worse, 'want to converse with someone/anyone! in English again, and feel that most every local L.A. law passed is the exact opposite of what would really benefit its citizens. Anyone remember the character Lindsey's exit line in tv-vampire drama "Angel" when he quit his lawyer job to leave Los Angeles forever? His line would echo my sentiments: "L.A.? You can have this place...")

Therefore a perfectly reasonable question about Pacoima's unsuitability deserved elaboration. Pacoima had an infamous, somewhat recent incident that made all the news media due to its violence alligned with irony. A family in the pre-GPS days was driving through that part of the Valley, got lost, and ended up driving through Pacoima, where they were fired at by Pacoima gangs, killing the little daughter. What a tragic indictment of the unsuitibility of Pacoima overall.

This post was also indicative of a lot of Los Angeles' illusions, referenced by out-of-town posters who've only seen L.A. from films and tv production: hey, everything looks so cool in the sunshine with the little bungalows, how can there be nastiness? Locals know better: an area may look nice outwardly, but behind those film-set-like facades...

Lastly, LAquests, the poster Charles frequently posts terrific historic photos of Los Angeles here in this forum, including yearbook photos of Compton before economic downturn, the far more fun San Fernando Valley in the days to which Calipoppy refers, etc. etc. so keep an eye out. And the Golden Age of Central Ave. African-American jazz and nightlife? Hey, I'm someone who's photographed Buddy Collette!

Last edited by fastfilm; 06-11-2008 at 09:25 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 09:17 PM

23 posts, read 103,797 times
Default Doo ***

That's funny and the joke is on me" I thought my computer was messing up because I sedited and respelled the word doowop (seperating the doo from the you know what 3 times and still got those ***) Actually vocal groups is the preferred term for a lot of fans of the music as they think the term doowop demeans the music. But I like the term because it rhymes with hip hop and suggests those more simple less sophisticated times - the 50"s when it was in style. Thanks moderator. Laquests

Old 06-12-2008, 05:27 PM

38 posts, read 148,084 times
Default do you have a link to this story by any chance?

I think I heard about this story.My brother does not believe this really happens in bad areas of LA (lost motorists being shot at) could someone post a link so I can (again for the zilliionth time in the past 20 or so years) proove him wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
I appreciate the plaudits (and will try to remember same when others contradict what, after all, are my longtime, firsthand observations alongside a few statistics,etc.) but I always remember what the purpose of this entire forum is: first hand observations and advice for relocators.

I found this site looking to fact-check the next place to which we think we want to move (yes, we're bailing in 3 years the nanosecond my husband retires. Over 50 years here is about 35 too many. 'Can't afford it, 'feel its changes are for the worse, 'want to converse with someone/anyone! in English again, and feel that most every local L.A. law passed is the exact opposite of what would really benefit its citizens. Anyone remember the character Lindsey's exit line in tv-vampire drama "Angel" when he quit his lawyer job to leave Los Angeles forever? His line would echo my sentiments: "L.A.? You can have this place...")

Therefore a perfectly reasonable question about Pacoima's unsuitability deserved elaboration. Pacoima had an infamous, somewhat recent incident that made all the news media due to its violence alligned with irony. A family in the pre-GPS days was driving through that part of the Valley, got lost, and ended up driving through Pacoima, where they were fired at by Pacoima gangs, killing the little daughter. What a tragic indictment of the unsuitibility of Pacoima overall.

This post was also indicative of a lot of Los Angeles' illusions, referenced by out-of-town posters who've only seen L.A. from films and tv production: hey, everything looks so cool in the sunshine with the little bungalows, how can there be nastiness? Locals know better: an area may look nice outwardly, but behind those film-set-like facades...

Lastly, LAquests, the poster Charles frequently posts terrific historic photos of Los Angeles here in this forum, including yearbook photos of Compton before economic downturn, the far more fun San Fernando Valley in the days to which Calipoppy refers, etc. etc. so keep an eye out. And the Golden Age of Central Ave. African-American jazz and nightlife? Hey, I'm someone who's photographed Buddy Collette!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles