Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 03:05 PM

47 posts, read 190,407 times

Advertisements

Hillbilly West Virginian yours truly got into USC's screenwriting masters program this fall... guess that means I gotta move...

My wife and I are looking at jobs and will probably have a 2000-2500 dollar budget for rent... looking at Silverlake and West Hollywood. Never have lived in a town with more than 15,000 people... I know we'll feel a little claustrophobic, but I'm sure we'll get used to it.

We'd love to rent a house before maybe saving to buy out there. Any particulars in the Silverlake area andWest Hollywood you'd recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 03:11 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,943,283 times
Congratulations!! You just got into what is widely regarded as the BEST film school in the country (despite what those in Westwood say).

I say hold off on renting a house for now until you get your bearings on the best place you'd like to live. You may end up renting a house (for more $$$ than an apartment) and hating it. First thing is to just get here. Are you only open to those two locations?

Old 04-22-2008, 03:31 PM

Not necessarily, but I've got a few friends that live in the area so it'd be nice to live close. We've got two dogs and would like a place with a yard (even if its just a small patch of ground). The thought of several more years carting them up and down stairs, and a public laundry room isn't as appealing as it used to be! That's our thoughts about the house thing.

I've never been out there and I think we're going with the shotgun approach to moving in. Just pack up a U-Haul and drive to LA and shack up in a hotel until we find something we like -- all while hoping the U-Haul doesn't get broken into haha.

Where else do you recommend? We dunno where my wife will be working, but we'd like something close to downtown as that's probably going to be her best option (she's in HR).

Is it the same in LA as it is in NYC where you keep your head down and don't look or acknowledge people as you're passing them on the street? Because saying "Howdy" or "How's it goin'?" is going to be a tough hab it to break!

Old 04-22-2008, 03:40 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,186,024 times
i don't think you're going to get many positive responses if you're saying "howdy" to people. besides that, you should be fine. most people in LA are pretty cool, just like anywhere else in the world. in fact, most people in LA in your line of study aren't even from LA which should make it easier for you to get to know people.

as for renting a house, the neighborhoods you mentioned are two of the most popular in the city right now, so they're going to be expensive. finding a house with a yard for under $2500/month is not impossible, but will probably be difficult. you may have to wander out of WeHo or Silverlake to find this. You may want to look into the East Hollywood area (between Hollywood proper and Los Feliz) as well as Highland Park. Make sure to get a good feel for whichever neighborhood you choose though, things can go from relatively safe to pretty sketchy within a few blocks in LA.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:28 PM

This is another dilemma... In my nearest city (Charleston) there aren't areas or sections. It's east end and West Side. And there's a major blend in the middle of what's good and what's bad.

I'd definitely need specifics of what are the good street and bad ones. Like.. within a few blocks of "x" intersection? or... like... Silverlake between these two streets and these two streets are good, but over on this side is bad?

I'll work on the Howdy's, I suppose.... I'd probably get strange looks...

Old 04-22-2008, 04:36 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,841,527 times
USC Film School? Congratulations!

Old 04-22-2008, 04:44 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,604,880 times
wvdevindavis, hearty congratulations. you'll join Steven S. et al in fine company. PLEASE, this second after your read this, contact student services at USC to get some help with your rentals and accommodations, public transit and whatsit. And yes, put a good lock on that U-Haul.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:51 PM

418 posts, read 1,733,981 times
Congrats on getting admitted to a very selective program.

Look on west side rentals for apartments. You have to pay a fee, but it's worth it. More of a selection than Craiglist, and not as many crazies. (At least this has been my experience as I've been planning my move in two weeks.)

Old 04-22-2008, 06:35 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,109,953 times
Congradulations! Don't worry about the howdy. There are enough tourists here for it not to phase most Angelinos. I would recommend your wife look on Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com Jobs - The Largest Job Search, Employment & Careers Site or WorkingWorld.com - Jobs in Los Angeles, Orange County, California or an employment agency. I know you want to live near your friends, I would strongly suggest Koreatown as a happy medium. You'll be between WeHo and Silverlake, you'll be near USC and cut down on your commute (very important) and you'll be near downtown and the business district where your wofe will more than likely find work unless she get Beverly Hill or Century City and those areas are still not a bad commute from Koreatown. For housing, try craigslist: los angeles classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events or Free Los Angeles and Orange County Classifieds - Recycler but BE CAREFUL! There are a lot of unscrupulous people who take advantage of long distance moves. Also, take your time. If your wife has at least five years experience and at least her Bachelor's, she may find work with a company that is willing to pay relocation costs. My sister works in HR and she's had two companies pay her complete moving costs. Good Luck and Welcome to L.A.

Last edited by CESpeed; 04-22-2008 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: correcting link

Old 04-22-2008, 07:05 PM

Ah, thanks for all the help. She's graduating Grad school in May and already has a year's work of experience. We've not even considered Koreatown. What's it like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles