Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 03:46 PM

514 posts, read 1,441,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
Tujunga is NOT high on crime.. now Sunland on the other hand....
I beg the differ
streets to avoid commerce/tujunga cyn area,greeley,pinwood -Valmont area,and number 1 Samoa st.Samoa st has been rated the number 1 drug street in La county at one time,Doubt it change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 04:55 PM

352 posts, read 482,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
I beg the differ
streets to avoid commerce/tujunga cyn area,greeley,pinwood -Valmont area,and number 1 Samoa st.Samoa st has been rated the number 1 drug street in La county at one time,Doubt it change
Tasksgirl ... I think you have that info reversed ! Sunland is much more safe than Tujunga ( in my opinion ). I really cant think of a bad area of Sunland other than by Sunland Park.

Clnconcpts is 100% right ! Those are all bad areas of Tujunga !
The Toonerville Gang used to live on Samoa across the street from my friend ! Dont know if that is still the case, my friend moved as soon as she realized who they were ! They are the ones that plaster TVR on everything !

Old 05-07-2016, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,114 times
8 Years on from when these posts were made, I'd just like to add that I moved to Tujunga (the 'nice' part I guess you all refer to) several months ago. I lived in the Hollywood Hills before this. I moved here out of choice because it is much easier to commute anywhere in the city from here, plus the people who live here are so down to earth, super friendly and neighborly (the general attitude of people living the Hollywood Hills absolutely sucks). The hikes and scenery are incredible, the air is cleaner, and it's a very short drive to great restaurants/culture in Pasadena etc. I live on a very pretty street with houses as good as, and no less cared for than any in the Hollywood Hills. I've not seen any evidence of anything here other than it being a great place to live. I'd definitely rather live here than Mount Washington or Montecito Heights (what's the appeal up there exactly? It's no more 'cut off' up here than it is there in all honesty), how Tujunga doesn't rise above these places in people's opinion confounds me.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:57 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
I like the area, but Wikipedia even mentions the fluctuating reputation of Tujunga over the years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunlan...a,_Los_Angeles

Hope it is going through a good phase now. Similar fringe, partly unincorporated areas of the LA Metro are becoming increasingly livable.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:27 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
I've always liked Sunland/Tujunga. I'm curious, how do you find old posts? 20 years ago I think every 56 Ford pickup ever made was in Sunland Tujunga. I don't know why they closed the KMart there was always people in it. And the huge lot is still empty, I used to go to the drive in movies there when I was young.
It doe's have poor freeway access though, only the 210 and you have to go aways to get to other freeways.

Last edited by V8 Vega; 05-08-2016 at 08:36 AM..

Old 05-08-2016, 09:50 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
I lived in La Crescenta for a number of years and can definitely say that Sunland-Tujunga is really a "mixed-bag". Some parts are fine, while others are not. There have been issues with homeless, biker gangs, meth and those types of issues in the past.
I still have a friend that lives there, and his area (near Angeles National Golf Course) is pretty nice and family oriented.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,794 times
It's so not true about poor freeway access. I have to drive all over LA for my work. Within minutes you can be on any number of freeways heading anywhere. Plus the 170 into Hollywood is always clear and I can be on the Sunset Strip in around 25 minutes from Tujunga. Took me 38 minutes to Santa Monica from Tujunga the other day, whereas if I had left from Hollywood it would take over an hour.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:02 PM

Also there are no gangs or crime or meth. This is a myth perpetuated by Tujunga residents who are terrified of gentrification and trying to put anyone off moving here. Fact.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:10 PM

New study charts a prosperous future for northeast San Fernando Valley

Tujunga is one of the areas next in line for some major improvements according to this new study.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,061 times
Default Great place to live. Next LA housing hotspot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missypeet View Post
It's so not true about poor freeway access. I have to drive all over LA for my work. Within minutes you can be on any number of freeways heading anywhere. Plus the 170 into Hollywood is always clear and I can be on the Sunset Strip in around 25 minutes from Tujunga. Took me 38 minutes to Santa Monica from Tujunga the other day, whereas if I had left from Hollywood it would take over an hour.
Completely agree about freeway access. It couldn't be better here. 210, 2, 5, 118, 110, 170, 134, 405 are all SUPER QUICK to access. Compared to just about any other area of LA this area is convenient to get ANYWHERE FAST. To anyone that's ever lived in Hollywood, Woodland Hills, Santa Monica where you can sometimes be sitting in traffic for an hour to get 5 miles, this place is a dream for access.
As for people moaning about undesirable people hanging out on Foothill Blvd, I ask you this: is the Hollywood Hills deemed a crap hole just because there are homeless people and gang bangers hanging around the bottom of the hill on Hollywood Blvd? I think not. Is Santa Monica a crap hole because a few streets are filled with (let's face it) far more homeless people than you will ever see on Foothill Blvd? The answer is no, of course.
Just about EVERY town has streets that attract such people, yet Tujunga gets judged on this one street, and a reputation from 20 years ago.
The hill communities in Tujunga have FAR LESS CRIME (just google the crime stats if you don't believe me) than Hollywood Hills, or many other 'gentrified' areas of LA. The hill neighborhood in Tujunga is friendly and safe, unlike many areas that have a better reputation.
This place has the CLEANEST AIR QUALITY IN LA. The hiking is out of this world. Hollywood is 20 minutes away. I went to Mount Washington the other day where house prices are double what you would pay in Tujunga. It is no where near as pretty, super congested housing, no where to park your car, plus give me Foothill Blvd any day over what's at the bottom of their hill. It's dirty, gangy, and an eyesore.
So glad I didn't follow that bandwagon to live there, Infinitely better living in Tujunga, thanks.
New plans for a metro route coming to the SF Valley, $$$$$ spent on a regeneration study for the area, independent coffee shops and craft beer venues recently coming to town (Hop n Links, Backdoor Bakery, Carusos) You'd have to be a shortsighted moron to not realize that this place is quite probably going to be the next LA hot spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles